Page 1 of 2
epiphone tony iommi seems like the best choice, on paper. but what do u guys think. besides a usa SG, which is out of my budget for the next 2 years.
Bc Rich Warlock Its Teh Best
Quote by vintage x metal
My toilet has seen some scenes that one would describe as 'deathcore'
it cen chuggaz

like this

Quote by vintage x metal
Last edited by manmanster at Feb 1, 2009,
Regular Epiphone SG.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
Regular Epiphone SG.

butt the ? isss

ken it chugga chugga!!!?
Quote by vintage x metal
Quote by manmanster
butt the ? isss

ken it chugga chugga!!!?

it sertinly ken!!!

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Any guitar that feels good to you, thats only a little bit of the sound 90% of the "sabbath sound" is amps and effects. You can have a top of the line Gibson LP and not even come close to the sound if say your running through a line 6 or marshall MGseries for example. if your trying to get a sound look into a good amp first then worry about the guitar.
Why would you base your guitar choice on one band - that's daft. You can play sabbath on any guitar...dual humbuckers and a short scale length may be preferable but are in no way essential. However, I highly doubt you're going to spend the rest of your life only playing Black Sabbath songs, and as DimeLvR pointed out if sound is your concern then your amp plays a much bigger role in things than the guitar itself.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
ive played an epi iommi sg and they are nice and i mean majorly nice.

give on of them a try it does the sabbath stuff justice but then put it through a laney gh100L and they sound amazing
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
Yeah. If you want the true Sabbath guitar nothing will quite compare to an Iommi SG besides a pricey JayDee. If it's the sound you need, check your amp, otherwise get the Epi.
It depends on what era of Sabbath you're referring to. In the Iron Man days, he was plugging an SG into the bass input of an Orange amp head (can't remember the cab). He ran his guitar through an old Tycobrahe wah pedal and Dallas Rangemaster Treble Booster, neither of which are in production today (some companies make replicas, but you have to pay top dollar).

If you're looking for his Dio era-forward sounds, then you'll need a lot of equipment to get his sound:
Boss OC-2 Octave
Ernie Ball 6166 Mono Volume Pedal
Pete Cornish Custom Foot Controller
Tychobrahe ParaPedal Wah
Digitech ME-14 Dual Equalizer
Drawmer LX-20 Compressor
H&H V800 Power Amplifier
Klark Teknik DN3600 Programmable Graphic Equalizer
Korg DL8000R Delay / Looper
Korg DTR-1 Rack Tuner
Korg SDD-1000 Digital Delay
Peavey AddVerb II Reverb
Pete Cornish Custom Router/Switcher Unit
Rocktron Guitar Silencer
^^^All of that above runs into a master Laney GH100TI Tube Head which controls the power amp section of another seven of the same head. He has two of the same heads for back up, and all of them ar wired into four straight Laney 4x12 cabs

Also might help if you're going for the exact tone of his modern day stuff: the bridge tone control is disconnected on his guitar, if I'm not mistaken.

Hope this helps
^nailed it.

... btw I am EXTREMELY OFFENDED BY THE QUOTE IN YOUR SIG >:0
Are you indeed offended? Good, then I am doing my job here

EDIT: About the GC part or the retards part? OR...the retards that work at GC? idk, I need help understanding what offends so I can choose to ignore changing it
Last edited by [VictorinoX] at Feb 1, 2009,
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Are you indeed offended? Good, then I am doing my job here

EDIT: About the GC part or the retards part? OR...the retards that work at GC? idk, I need help understanding what offends so I can choose to ignore changing it
No. The bit about kicking a pig
an SG, Epiphone's got a Signiture model
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
An SG won't get you close to sabbath, at all.

Your best option would be to run a mahogany bodied guitar, with the pickups Iommi uses (I thikn Gibson makes 'em but they're ****in' pricey, I was gonna get one once, but £90? really!? ) which run into a Laney GH100, or at least a british voiced amp.

To be honest I get my strat sounding like Sabbath, you just need a bit of a dark tone goin' on (it helps that I use a Laney I guess) and some heavy playin'

Though if you wanted to go for "I want Iommi's exact sound" then I guess you'd close it down to a THIN Mahog bodied guitar, which narrows it down to SG or Ibanez S really, I don't know any other thin Mahogany bodied guitars.
Quote by Rock Pig
No. The bit about kicking a pig

Ah right then. Well, I've thought about it, and I choose to ignore changing it until something better comes along worth quoting
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Ah right then. Well, I've thought about it, and I choose to ignore changing it until something better comes along worth quoting

*ahem*

[VictorinoX] is GOD.

Quote by Rock Pig
*ahem*

[VictorinoX] is GOD.

gotcha. it might just fit in with the other one hopefully.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
An SG won't get you close to sabbath, at all.

Your best option would be to run a mahogany bodied guitar, with the pickups Iommi uses (I thikn Gibson makes 'em but they're ****in' pricey, I was gonna get one once, but £90? really!? ) which run into a Laney GH100, or at least a british voiced amp.

To be honest I get my strat sounding like Sabbath, you just need a bit of a dark tone goin' on (it helps that I use a Laney I guess) and some heavy playin'

Though if you wanted to go for "I want Iommi's exact sound" then I guess you'd close it down to a THIN Mahog bodied guitar, which narrows it down to SG or Ibanez S really, I don't know any other thin Mahogany bodied guitars.

you just contradicted yourself. an sg wont get you close at all. than you say get either an sg or an ibanez. i would get either a black g-400 or a regular one. the extra price on the iommi is only worth it if you really like the way it looks.
You really want to imitate Tony Iommi? Go work for a steel mill in Birmingham for a few years. Then, on the last day, chop your two fingertips off on the steel cutter and learn to play with leather-covered nubs while stringing your guitar to C# with banjo strings

I love heavy metal history
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']gotcha. it might just fit in with the other one hopefully.

T_T

Anyway.

Iommi SG. That'll be just fine.
I WIN!!! lol. srry bro. I share your tears. T_T if the going gets too hard, just remember the rape scene from Deliverance... "Come on boy, squeal like a pig!"
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']I WIN!!! lol. srry bro. I share your tears. T_T if the going gets too hard, just remember the rape scene from Deliverance... "Come on boy, squeal like a pig!"

*sig*
If you want his sound get his signature halfstack and an SG with high-output pickups (not as high as EMGs).
He uses a Tychobrahe wah pedal that isn't being made anymore.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
If you want his sound get his signature halfstack and an SG with high-output pickups (not as high as EMGs).
He uses a Tychobrahe wah pedal that isn't being made anymore.

On the first page, I pretty much said all of this already. And he didn't use high output pickups, as his sound was mainly influenced by jazz and blues. That would be Angus Young
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']It depends on what era of Sabbath you're referring to. In the Iron Man days, he was plugging an SG into the bass input of an Orange amp head (can't remember the cab). He ran his guitar through an old Tycobrahe wah pedal and Dallas Rangemaster Treble Booster, neither of which are in production today (some companies make replicas, but you have to pay top dollar).

He used a Laney Supergroup

go to 2-15
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG_E0-Us3qs

he used a Colorsound wah then a tychobrahe , seeing as the parapedal wasnt made until late 70s

ive built both a rangemaster and a parapedal , and they werent too hard
schematics for both
http://www.geofex.com/FX_images/parapedal.gif

http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/rangemaster/rangemasterschematic.gif

Here is the Jaydee signature
http://www.jaydeeguitars.com/sg-tony-iommi.php
Last edited by Gates67 at Feb 1, 2009,
Quote by Themilkmaker
you just contradicted yourself. an sg wont get you close at all. than you say get either an sg or an ibanez. i would get either a black g-400 or a regular one. the extra price on the iommi is only worth it if you really like the way it looks.

Nah I said, well, meant, if you want to get anal, then you'll think that part of his sound comes from a thin mahogany body.
But just saying "he plays an SG, I'll get an SG" is the wrong mindset.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']On the first page, I pretty much said all of this already. And he didn't use high output pickups, as his sound was mainly influenced by jazz and blues. That would be Angus Young

Tony uses his sig pickups occasionally and they are high output.
Angus uses low output
any AC/DC fan will tell you that Angus actually used high output pickups on his CLEAN amp. the pickups themselves overdrove the tubes to get the gritty sound
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']any AC/DC fan will tell you that Angus actually used high output pickups on his CLEAN amp. the pickups themselves overdrove the tubes to get the gritty sound

really?
I heard it just the other way around yesterday on UG.

BTW., I'm a big AC/DC fan

@TS: I have the Tony Iommi SG. It's ok, but it doesn't give you his tone, you're gonna need his amp for that.
one crucial thing for nailing his sounds
tuning the guitar down to c# for alot of songs after the first two albums which were all in standard
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']any AC/DC fan will tell you that Angus actually used high output pickups on his CLEAN amp. the pickups themselves overdrove the tubes to get the gritty sound

I doubt they would - Angus has always used the vintage pickups that came stock on his guitars. He gets his tone from using a crapload of volume and hitting his strings damned hard.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Page 1 of 2