I just wired up my first project- 3 Lil Killer Humbuckers w/ 3 volume controls into a strat pickguard. It also has 3 mini toggle switches for splitting.

I wired it all up and before I put my strings back on grounded it out, connected the jack and plugged the stuff in, to tap-test each pickup etc.

When I did so, everything was whisper quiet - even in single coil modes. But when I put all 3 pups onto OFF via toggles. MAN what a hum. And its hands-off. I'm not touching anything at this point. And touching the switches or the pups doesn't fix the issue. Again, this is mounted sort of out of the guitar, but attached to it.

Is that normal? I'm just not savvy enough with circuits and wiring to know if its a problem. If its normal I'll just remember to leave one of them on.

Thanks in advance!!
hey man hows it going? What it sounds like to me is you have a ground miswired. I cant know this for sure but it sounds like maybe you have a ground on at least one of the switches that isnt right. Check over all your wires and make sure that there is a common ground wire shared by all your components. I connect all of my grounds together as one. That way there isnt a problem until I unsolder anything.

I hope you find your problem. Good luck dude.
Ok here's the thing - I'm pretty new to this stuff and I'm curious about the grounding. These pickups are 5 wire pickups - red/white braided together, a black, a green and a bare bunch of copper strands that have been twisted and soldered at the end to form a bare cable.

I was told to lead all of the blacks and bare lines to the back of a pot. I've done that (though with 6 on there total its a bit of a mess. If I redo these all together, I'm not sure I can find a spot that does not already have solder on it - can I just melt some of the existing and sink the bundle to that?

Also, I have one of the terminals grounded out (the 'right side' I'd call it if the terms were facing down) and the diagram shows a ground rolling out to the jack - does THAT ground and terminal need to be in the same blob of solder as the other grounds?

I know these are probably elementary questions, but I have looked everywhere for 4 days looking for real examples (pics, etc) of how to solder up this stuff and I just haven't found any. I've looked at guitarnuts, and the wiring diagram thread (they sent me to seymour duncan but wouldn't tell me which one I needed, as its not listed like my setup). So Ju just tried to follow the diagram and I guess I mixed something up. Or dont have the grounds set properly.

Thanks in advance
Last edited by Voodoods at Feb 1, 2009,
quick update- it hums when all of the pickups are off, or when I touch any pickup, and also when I activate the bridge pickup.

So I'm guessing the bridge pup is the issue? I'll re-solder them again and test.

Besides this solder vacuum I have that isn't working how else can I get solder off of the back of this pot? Its getting pretty ugly...
Last edited by Voodoods at Feb 2, 2009,
Quote by Voodoods
quick update- it hums when all of the pickups are off, or when I touch any pickup, and also when I activate the bridge pickup.

So I'm guessing the bridge pup is the issue? I'll re-solder them again and test.

Besides this solder vacuum I have that isn't working how else can I get solder off of the back of this pot? Its getting pretty ugly...

Solder wick. It looks vaguely like flattened braided copper wire. As for your ground issue, you probably have a wiring issue on the bridge BUT, if you're getting hum with all 3 off, then by the sound of your setup, the output isn't being grounded. When no pickups are connected, the output jack needs to be shorted. I'm afraid I can't tell you how to accomplish that in your setup, though.
Quote by Voodoods

Heat it up while holding the pot with a pair of pliers and flick it so the solder flies off. I keep a 2x4 on my workbench to catch solder. Works like a charm for me.
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
hey man, if you have a way to take a pretty decent picture of what you have going on Ill look at it and see whats up if you still need help.
Ok I resoldered everything and it still buzzes if I am hands off and no pups are on, but only with high-gain settings. On clean its quiet, so I assume its business as usual. In fact, even in tap mode my pups are very quiet, except on really extreme settings (pocket pod and Vox AD15VT).

Thanks for the help. I'll just volume down if I have them all off.