This is my first post. I played guitar for years and owned a few decent models, including two different Ibanez models and a Schecter 7-string. I gave it up and now years later I want to pick it back up.

About a year ago I purchased a Switch! guitar from an internet reseller. It was cheap and I didn't want to spend a chunk of money on something that I wasn't certain I'd stick with. It's completely made out of plastic (they have some marketing term for it, but let's tell the truth here) and I was actually surprised by the thing. It played pretty well, but the tonal quality is a little strange - I guess that's to be expected.

Anyhow, I'm now ready to upgrade to a real guitar. I'd love to have the ESP LTD EC1000 Deluxe, but that's out of my budget at the moment. What I'm looking for is a LP-style body that's not above $500 USD. I'm in an apartment and have a baby right now, so instead of using an amp I'm jacked right into a Behringer V-AMP2 and headphones. When I have more space to play and don't have to worry about neighbors I plan on picking up a nice tube amp... maybe a Hughes & Kettner since I've had an eye on them for a while. I like heavier music but will play anything from classical to extreme metal, and I've entertained the thought of exploring a little jazz or blues. I guess you could say I'll play it all.

I've been looking around and I think I've narrowed my choices down to a PRS Tremonti SE or a ESP LTD EC200QM but I can't make my mind up. Overall ratings appear to be good on both of them. On the PRS I don't like the bridge and I'm concerned that the neck may be too fat, and on the ESP I'm shying away from the agathis body. Neither are available locally.

Does anyone here have experience with one or both of these guitars, and if so, can you provide some insight? Thanks!

EDIT: Provided more information
Last edited by molnir at Feb 1, 2009,
Quote by syntheticocean
I've got the EC1000. How far out of your price range is it? I'm absolutely in love with mine and it was well worth every penny spent.

Sorry, you caught me when I was updating my original post. It's double what I can spend at the moment.
have you looked at an EC500? because they are exactally the same (i found) as the 1000 only minus the aesthetics and they have a 60 81 EMG pickup combo in them(i am pretty sure) so your sound is gonna be versatile
Quote by maximus69er
have you looked at an EC500? because they are exactally the same (i found) as the 1000 only minus the aesthetics and they have a 60 81 EMG pickup combo in them(i am pretty sure) so your sound is gonna be versatile

You're correct on the pickups. Musician's Friend has them on clearance for $650, however, which is out of my current range.
Quote by molnir
You're correct on the pickups. Musician's Friend has them on clearance for $650, however, which is out of my current range.

i was told the other day that all out retail prices in Australia are going to hike around 200-600 dollars for most of our guitar gear so it may be wise to either jump in now or save a little longer for sothign that will last you a lot longer the amp i wanted to buy went from 1400 to 1800
Quote by HomerHitter
I got a black Les Paul, and this Texan told me it wasn't as good as other color guitars becuse it was a 'nigger.'

Quote by roosoh13
"Ok folks, our in flight movie will be a series of sex tapes your parents have made"

Quote by coryklok
I'd hit that like Carmel hits the ban button.
The price increase sucks. Good thing I'm in the USA then; I hope we don't see an increase of that magnitude ourselves.