This isn't another poll thread asking what you use, I'm looking for unbiased opinions (or as unbiased as possible, anyways...)

The catch is that I have a fixed budget of roughly $1200. So "pc is cheaper" arguments don't matter. Either way I'm spending the same amount on the laptop, so for a price of 1200 which would be better for me? I don't play games, I use laptops for schoolwork (going to college next year), internet, research, editing music, and playing music. I have an ipod. Right now I have a cheap old toshiba pc laptop and it's falling apart. Thanks.
unless your doing graphic processing or heavy video editing or like expensive repairs if your computer breaks id go with a pc myself, Macs have their pros as ive listed but if your not into that pc is alot more compliant and for 1200$ you can get a laptop that would allow you to play games and what not, im not sure where your from but a good canadian site for computers is tigerdirect, if your in the us just do a search on google theres lots out there.
nothing hi tech. I have recording hardware and then I just plug it into the USB and take the wav files and merger them into an mp3. Right now I use audacity but I wouldn't mind something a big nicer.

I'm sure the mac would be nicer, but for the price, I could get double the hard drive and ram and whatnot if I got a pc for the same price
I think "pc is cheaper" is the strongest argument here, as far as I know macs are good for graphics processing, you can get a much better pc for the price of a mac.
Quote by HIM%(^
get a pc..if you cant get over mac users giving you ****..refer to this...
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=macs_cant

it's funny cause it's so true.

I used to be one of those people who were like, "I hate this goddamn PC! It gets so many viruses! blah blah blah". I wanted to get a mac so bad. Then I realized... Macs really aren't that great. Sure they can run windows programs now... but why am I going to pay 1000 dollars more for something that only looks shiny. Plus, with a PC as long as you have decent antivirus software, you'll be fine. Sure Macs are great for recording, and graphic design, but not much else. It's just a trendy overpriced computer. I'm gonna be glad to be the only student in college next year with a PC.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Last edited by IMABBALLPLAYER at Feb 1, 2009,
I've used both computers vigorously for much of my life and I own many of both. PC's are good for a lot of things, but if I had to choose only one it would hands down be a Macintosh. I'm sure you don't want this to come down to a PC vs Mac thread because flaming ensues. But honestly, for what you listed, I would go with a Mac. In my opinion, absolutely nothing beats it's operating system. for your $1200 price tag, I would look into a Refurbished Black Macbook. I recently upgraded from a blackbook (to the new aluminum and I do use it still use my blackbook) and I have a friend who just bought a refurb from Apple and it is virtually brand new. It definitely is the best 'refurb' I've seen condition wise.

Microsoft Office is available for Mac if you want that for your school work, but iWork is mostly compatable and a very capable word processing program. Apple keeps their system secure with daily, weekly, and monthly system updates and using Safari or Firefox is a very secure way to browse the internet. I have never had a problem with pop ups, spyware, adware, malware, trojans, etc etc and I have never ran a virus scanner. It's simply not needed. Your Macintosh will come with iLife '08 (or possibly '09) which includes a program called GarageBand. It's a very capable music editing program and I use it often. Previously on my PC, the best program I could find for free was Audacity. Not even comparable. MacBook speakers aren't the best if you're going the laptop route (I would!) But they're good enough for on the go listening, but I would still recommend external speakers or headphones on the go.

Mac's DO have their cons, such as not being very upgradable (RAM and a hard-disk is about all you're gonna get) But the fact is, the company that makes all the software, makes it SPECIFICALLY for the system it's going to be run on, so you don't need to uprade, because it's being made to be compatible and to run on the speed that the computer is made.

I have a 2.93 Ghz Hp Pavillion laptop with 4 gigs of ram, and it still feels slower than my 2.4 Ghz MacBook with 2 gigs.

If you're going to want to REALLY get involved with your computer and change every little bit and customization and modding and all that, go with a PC. But based on what you stated, it sounds like you just want a computer that works. I know it's cheesy because it's one of their slogans, but it's true haha.

I'm trying to be unbiased as possible because I use both on a daily basis. But my choice to buy a Mac is one of the best I feel I've ever made to make my life easier and improve the experience you get while using a computer.

It's ultimately what is best for you. But congratulations on your purchase either way!
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

My band: avenueofembers.com
Quote by neverspoiled
thank you stevenpollock..
the only Pit-head thats not a douche bag...right now anyway
=)
Quote by Survivalism
PC = personal computer. Macs = personal computers. Mac = PC.

Serious business, eh? You wanna make everybody say Windows PC when it's obvious what they mean?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by Survivalism
PC = personal computer. Macs = personal computers. Mac = PC.

It's true. It's really just about the operating system. But who cares. It's obvious what people are referring to.
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

My band: avenueofembers.com
Quote by neverspoiled
thank you stevenpollock..
the only Pit-head thats not a douche bag...right now anyway
=)
Last edited by stevenpollock at Feb 1, 2009,