I'm planning on getting a delay pedal eventually, and I think I've decided on the Boss DD-7. But I have a question about the tap tempo. My question might be a little confusing, so I'll try very hard to ask it just right.

If I'm trying to get a Dotted Eighth delay effect, do I simply tap the actual tempo of the song? Or do I have to try to tap the actual duration of the delay?

In other words... If my beat divides into:

1-e-&-a-2-e-&-a...

...I would want the repeats would fall on...

1-e-&-a-2-e-&-a...
x-----x-----x

Does the pedal figure this out for me, letting me simply tap the 1, 2, 3, 4, and still have the repeats accurately spaced for a Dotted Eighth delay effect? Or do I actually have to figure out how the hell to tap the button on the Xs?
Not a 100 percent sure but I think you tap out the tempo of each repeat.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Well... I think I may have found the answer to my question. Thanks to Google, I found a thread in another forum where someone said that on the DD-6, if you have the knob set to 800ms, you can tap in quarter notes and get a dotted eighth delay. And another thread on another forum that said the DD-7 is the same.

Unfortunately I'm having trouble downloading the DD-7 user's manual from Boss's website to confirm this, but it sounds like good news anyway.