could you cut the non horner part of a telecaster out carefully and use it to fill up the gap on the horned side, sorta swapping them round?

like in this picture

photoshop seems to think it would work

im sure lots of filler and glue could help me get away with it

cheers!

james
why would you want to? it would make reaching the upper frets awfully difficult, but i spose you could
i mean dont quote me on this one i am new to this thing but im guessing that yeah you could do that to a tele but it would be like a strat lookin thing lol. but i bet you could just be careful those things are gorgeous
on a side note a double cutaway tele wouldnt look too bad...
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

My band: avenueofembers.com
Quote by neverspoiled
thank you stevenpollock..
the only Pit-head thats not a douche bag...right now anyway
=)
make it a double cut
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
A telecaster is, solid wood. If you were to cut the wood away (Do it slowly!) you would need sand it down and refinish it.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
I've had an idea...

When you get the body (righty) Route all the previous routes so that they are square or rectangluar and then with hardwood fill them (pickup cavities, Electronics cavity, Neck Pocket) Then dowel or fill all the holes. Flip the guitar over and route it out for everything, now you have a lefty Sound Good?
^ that does, execpt for the neck pocket
Quote by Deliriumbassist
wouldn't it be easier and tidyer to make the body from scratch?
It will take almost as much skill to hack off a part of your guitar and put it on the other side than it will to make a new body. Pending you want it to look good and be structurally sound, that is.
Gear:
Fender Stratocaster
Gibson SG w/ Bigsby
Ibanez Roadster Bass
Sovtek MiG 60
Marshall 1965B
Maestro Echoplex EP-3
MXR Ten Band EQ
EHX Russian Big Muff
Ross Phaser
Boss DD-6
I vote doublecut telecaster, looks cool
Last edited by marko'd at Feb 1, 2009,
Quote by stevenpollock
on a side note a double cutaway tele wouldnt look too bad...

It would !
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
thats actually not too bad, looks like an epi coronet

maybe if my initial idea didnt work, i just want a normalish tele

oh and thats a set neck so the neck pocket isnt factored in as much, you couldnt do that with a bold on pocket
Quote by marko'd
I vote doublecut telecaster, looks cool

Guitar : Fender CIJ Mustang and a Telecaster
Amp : 76 fender champ
Pedals : BBE green screamer, Big muff, Ibanez LU20 Pedal Tuner, boss loop pedal
^ that photoshop looks ****ing awesome better then your shitty idea
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Quote by lefthandman9876
^^ uncalled for

im not neccesarilly on for opinions just would the initial idea work, or would it ruin the tone or cause structural issues etc?

It definetly could, can't say for certain cause I don't think anybody's done something like that.

I don't think I'd have the nerve to play such a concoction in public, too afraid the thing would fall off. I'd save up and get one like Rock Pig posted. It's got a better pickup config anyway.
I do a lot of guitar work and you COULD do that. I would think that:
1) you would have to do a totally new, solid finish

and 2) you would most likely need to dowel the new piece on, or offer some means other than glue for it to stay there.

The reason is, unlike gluing two pieces to make a guitar body, you will be gluing with a cross-grain sort of thing, meaning that glue wouldn't hold very well. Also, it would be kind of hard to hold it there tightly while the glue dries.

My suggestion would be, if you want to do this, dowels, glue, and filler are the way to go.

EDIT: I think the tone would remain almost completely unchanged (not noticable)
Last edited by travistag at Feb 1, 2009,
Quote by travistag
I do a lot of guitar work and you COULD do that. I would think that:
1) you would have to do a totally new, solid finish

and 2) you would most likely need to dowel the new piece on, or offer some means other than glue for it to stay there.

The reason is, unlike gluing two pieces to make a guitar body, you will be gluing with a cross-grain sort of thing, meaning that glue wouldn't hold very well. Also, it would be kind of hard to hold it there tightly while the glue dries.

My suggestion would be, if you want to do this, dowels, glue, and filler are the way to go.

EDIT: I think the tone would remain almost completely unchanged (not noticable)

ahhha thanks thats pretty helpful

i think it would be ok as that part wouldnt be exposed to any stress (the strap button being on the existing horn) i have some pretty good wood glue that says "stronger than the wood itself" and lots of clamps, then just fill it in sand and refin

anyway its worth a try, if it doesnt work then i go to plan b coronet style
Quote by Nagashiro

That is definitly rad!
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

My band: avenueofembers.com
Quote by neverspoiled
thank you stevenpollock..
the only Pit-head thats not a douche bag...right now anyway
=)