ive got a question.. ive got an Epiphone SG. i just put some ernie ball strings on and im getting the neck ajusted to play lead a lil better.. i am new at guitar but my next move is the question. i love metal or hard rock ya no distortion metal. do i keep upgrading the SG with EMG pickups or should i just get a BC rich warlock and upgrade that?
I wouldn't recommend using active pickups unless you're playing through a tube amp.
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

My band: avenueofembers.com
Quote by neverspoiled
thank you stevenpollock..
the only Pit-head thats not a douche bag...right now anyway
=)
dang you got quite the setup. what about seymore duncan pickups? in the BC or the SG do you think
What amp are you using? New pickups wont do much if the amp is bad.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

for now i got a Crate Flexwave 15. i wanted to go bigger but this things good for small venues i suppose nothing huge i aint that good i only been playin bout 8 months
Quote by SGSquierMan
dang you got quite the setup. what about seymore duncan pickups? in the BC or the SG do you think

This. Seymour Duncan ftw.

Also, is your SG one of the higher-grade models or is it lower-end? If most of the parts aren't high-quality, you might just want to get the new guitar rather than spending a bunch of money to upgrade stuff.
Quote by SGSquierMan
for now i got a Crate Flexwave 15. i wanted to go bigger but this things good for small venues i suppose nothing huge i aint that good i only been playin bout 8 months

15 watt? I don't think pickups are your problem in this case.You'll be spending a fair bit of cash for not much of a difference in sound with that amp.What's your budget and do you run any pedals with that amp?

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

it aint even a gibson its and epiphone SG Special. like 200 bux for 1. im thinkin buy the BC rich and go from there. Kerry King From Slayer plays the same one i want so idk
Quote by SGSquierMan

Haha thanks. Well they're both solid bodies and the only sound difference between the two is that the sg is going to be a little warmer than the warlock because of the mohogany vs the agathis. So whatever sound you prefer on that. Truthfully if you put the same pick up in them (say a seymour duncan sh-8 or sh-4) they're gonna sound pretty close despite the wood differences because the sound is largely based on your amp. So I would go with whatever guitar feels better to play to you, but I would stick with the SG if it were me.
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

Quote by neverspoiled
=)
Quote by SGSquierMan
it aint even a gibson its and epiphone SG Special. like 200 bux for 1. im thinkin buy the BC rich and go from there. Kerry King From Slayer plays the same one i want so idk

Not to sound like a prick,because I often do on these forums,but you're not going about this the right way.The amp you use makes up the majority of your tone,so if you have issues with your sound that's the first place to look at.Since your amp is a small low end model it means that pretty much all the guitars in your price range will sound similar through it,don't make the mistake of thinking that a new guitar will turn a bad tone into an amazing one.Play multiple guitars through your amp to figure out if it's your guitar or the amp itself that is the source of your issues.Also,if it's a low end BC Rich model I'd avoid it,they have pretty poor quality control,hardware,and electronics.

i checked out your band on myspace pollack you guys are pretty sick. any advice to give to a beginner like me lol?
naw iu dnt sound like a prick. ur totally right. but a marshall amp aint gna fly with my paycheck or my wife lol
Quote by SGSquierMan
i checked out your band on myspace pollack you guys are pretty sick. any advice to give to a beginner like me lol?

Haha thanks man! I don't really feel like I'm at a status to have much advice to give! Just practice I guess. Learn at least the basics of theory, keep an open mind about music genre's, and just stay positive. Try to learn more than just power chords... ummmm and I guess be patient with things but stay on top of your game! Oh and arrogance is a musicians worst enemy!
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

Quote by neverspoiled
=)
yeah man thanks that is awesome. i hope to get rich enuf to buy a les paul one day or somethin like that....im startin from the bottom..gotta take what you can get ya no? ima have to add u guys on myspace that cool with you?
Quote by SGSquierMan
yeah man thanks that is awesome. i hope to get rich enuf to buy a les paul one day or somethin like that....im startin from the bottom..gotta take what you can get ya no? ima have to add u guys on myspace that cool with you?

Les Pauls are awesome guitars. They're a bitch to keep in tune though. And yeah man for sure! I'm glad you like our band! We're always stoked to hear from people that enjoy our music
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

Quote by neverspoiled
=)
are they really? i figured with the 100000 dollar price tag so it seems, that there isnt ne thing a les paul couldnt do lol
Quote by SGSquierMan
are they really? i figured with the 100000 dollar price tag so it seems, that there isnt ne thing a les paul couldnt do lol

Well unless they come with grovers or something they're a pain in the but. I've actually heard that because of the (i'm way too tired to think of words...) the..... i want to say the wheel base but in guitar terms... the SCALE of les pauls and the way they're designed they're actually impossible to have perfect intonation all the way up the neck! Crazy. I love my Les Paul, but I've recently fallen in love with semi hollows. I just want a collection of 333 and 335's now. They're just aaaaaaaaaaamazing!
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

Quote by neverspoiled
=)
nice bro! i wish i could get one. 1 day maybe lol. that you on guitar too huh? shreddin it up clean as can be and damn good too. i try to play my own stuff but i love playin like metallica and Sabbath and all them. its so much fun. i havent quiet gotten the whole soloing thing quiet yet. but fun as hell