Hi, im gonna keep this post short.

A month a go i bought myself a Shecter C1 Hellraiser (FR) and i got it for a realy good deal (50% off) and it was new!

But the amp im currently playing with is a Marshall MG15CDR and i cant realy get the sound i want from it, the gain is to muddy and the tone just stinks.

I was looking to buy a Epiphone Valve Junior with a Boss DS1 or SD1.
Ive read some reviews and it sounds good on Youtube.

Is this a big upgrade for me from my MG?

Im not sure what type of music im gonna play but its mainly 60/70's rock/blues (Led Zeppelin , Cream , SRV) that i both play and listen to.

I want a small amp that i can practice at home with but that acually sounds good

Also, i got EMG's in my guitar will that be any problem with the amp?
I would look at the Blackheart Little Giant... Its a pretty nice amp that will handle those genres great.

WHat kind of EMGS do you have? They are a more Metal pickup then classic rock.

TO answer some questions.. Yes either the EVJ or the BLG are both an upgrade on the MG

The EMGs shouldnt be a problem, however they probally arent Ideal for cream, or SRV
Quote by stangconv
I would look at the Blackheart Little Giant... Its a pretty nice amp that will handle those genres great.

WHat kind of EMGS do you have? They are a more Metal pickup then classic rock.

TO answer some questions.. Yes either the EVJ or the BLG are both an upgrade on the MG

The EMGs shouldnt be a problem, however they probally arent Ideal for cream, or SRV

The EMG's came stock with the guitar and they are EMG 81/85 with coil tapping. (EMG81/85 TW i think they are called).

I listened to the Blackheart Little Giant and i didnt like the tone compared to the EVJ.
The stock Vjr isnt very versatile. It does do classic rock pretty well. But stock with the single volume control it wont be clean with any volume and may tend to have mushy distortion with the volume cranked and running a distortion pedal. And you will need some sort of EQ as the Vjr has no tone controls. Modded it can do alot more.
the emg's should be fine since they're coil tapped. i'd go for the blackheart little giant but you could get the valve junior and some pedals..
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Start with the VJ and an EQ, build your pedal board from there. Great little amp and a huge upgrade from your MG.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by scott58
Start with the VJ and an EQ, build your pedal board from there. Great little amp and a huge upgrade from your MG.

+1...................just think if more amp's were offered in a stripped down lower price amp's. like mesa put out a amp with nothing but a volume knob just add pedals? how many people right know have a amp with onboard EQ that use an EQ pedal?
or a 2 channel amp and use a distortion or overdrive pedal?? but for sure get the head and cab not the combo and an EQ, and a good OD (no ds-1) and a reverb, delay, or echo. tube swaps take 2 minutes and really make a big difference.
Quote by Robino_Ibanez
the emg's should be fine since they're coil tapped. i'd go for the blackheart little giant but you could get the valve junior and some pedals..

the little giant need's pedals also. why spend an extra hundy just for the onboard eq. i'd rather have a good EQ pedal and a VJ for the same cost. or just hold out for one of these i'm interested in checking one out myself.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Blackstar-HT-Series-HT-5H-5W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head-483560-i1434795.gc
Quote by mmjohn
the little giant need's pedals also. why spend an extra hundy just for the onboard eq. i'd rather have a good EQ pedal and a VJ for the same cost. or just hold out for one of these i'm interested in checking one out myself.

We're certainly on the same page with the VJ and pedals. Got a SuperPlextortion a few weeks ago. What an upgrade from the tubescreamer i was using. It works great with the POD also. The Vj makes some great plexi tones. Thinking of trying a Skreddy TopFuel next, but it takes about 3 months to get. Worth the wait i imagine.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
I found a EVJ for $120 or €100 and it came with some "BitMo mod".
I sent a mail to the guy and hopefully he still got it.
So i bought the EVJ Head + the 1x12" 70W Cab got it for about €200 and it will be delivered in 2 days with UPS.

Anything i should upgrade or do with it asap? (except for playing the crap out of it the first day ).

Also thinking about a good dist/overdrive pedal, i dont like gain that much, Led Zeppelin gain at max
A guitar with EMG's is more suited to heavy metal than classic rock type of gain (Zeppelin, Hendrix). Just so you know.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Quote by MustangSVT
A guitar with EMG's is more suited to heavy metal than classic rock type of gain (Zeppelin, Hendrix). Just so you know.

Its not like they cant handle that tone? I mean EMG cant possibly just be made for heavy metal.
Zapher is right, I can play cleans through my EMG 81 even. and that's supposed to be BROOTAL!!!!

It's not, you can do cleans fine with them. Especailly if you roll off your volume knob, and crank the volume on the junior. It'd sound great...slightly crunchy too, love that.

I haven't invested in a VJ yet.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
Quote by THE Saint Jimmy
Zapher is right, I can play cleans through my EMG 81 even. and that's supposed to be BROOTAL!!!!

It's not, you can do cleans fine with them. Especailly if you roll off your volume knob, and crank the volume on the junior. It'd sound great...slightly crunchy too, love that.

I haven't invested in a VJ yet.

Also the EMGs i got is the ones with the coilsplitting wich is extra nice, i usally play on the neck pickup with singelcoil mode or whatever to call it and then crank the volume on my MG, take down the gain to minimum and then roll back on the volume for that pickup.

Really sweet tone, only good thing ive had with the MG... really.

I acually got my VJR head for €69, saved €20 on it and the cab i got for about €199, but hey you cant get it all super cheap :-)
What made my Vjr a really useful amp was modding it to have gain and volume knob. I got rid of R6/R7 the original volume pot becomes the gain, where R5 is you put a pot for volume. With the gain set low and the volume a little past half way its got a good clean tone suitable for use with pedals. And fixing the R1/R2 situation makes it work better. And an EQ pedal does wonders for its tone, alot easier than adding a tone stack to the amp.
Quote by Zapher
Its not like they cant handle that tone? I mean EMG cant possibly just be made for heavy metal.

I just wanted to say that active pickups are not ideal for what you're trying to play.

I'm not saying you should buy a new guitar, if you can get the tone you want with that amp with your current guitar, then by all means buy the amp.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
The Vjr is a great little amp to mod. You should be able to get some great classic rock tones outta that little bugger. Congrats.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I would not get the combo, 8 inch speakers FTL. Also, the VJs come stock with JJ tubes now so I don't think that's an issue.

Honestly I think they're pretty crappy sounding amps that need quite a bit of work to do anything. Just consider how much you have to spend on the amp and then mods and pedals to make it usable and eventually your at the point where you could've just gotten a better amp.

I'm not saying don't get it, just making sure you consider all your options.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Tackleberry
What made my Vjr a really useful amp was modding it to have gain and volume knob. I got rid of R6/R7 the original volume pot becomes the gain, where R5 is you put a pot for volume. With the gain set low and the volume a little past half way its got a good clean tone suitable for use with pedals. And fixing the R1/R2 situation makes it work better. And an EQ pedal does wonders for its tone, alot easier than adding a tone stack to the amp.
Can you point me to the schematic for this mod?
Quote by Kevin Saale
I would not get the combo, 8 inch speakers FTL. Also, the VJs come stock with JJ tubes now so I don't think that's an issue.

Honestly I think they're pretty crappy sounding amps that need quite a bit of work to do anything. Just consider how much you have to spend on the amp and then mods and pedals to make it usable and eventually your at the point where you could've just gotten a better amp.

I'm not saying don't get it, just making sure you consider all your options.

I went for the halfstack, the head + the matching 1x12" cabinet.