Page 1 of 4
Went to see Bloc Party at the Wolves Civic last night and at some point during the show (about 3 or 4 songs in), I realised my wallet had gone walkies. I presumed it had fallen out of my pocket, so I was looking around on the floor for it, while doing so I bumped into another few people whose wallets or phones had gone absent, so that got the suspicions going. At this point I texted my mate (we'd got separated by this point) to tell him I'd see him at the end and that some tosser had nabbed my wallet - Of course, he never recieved this text because his phone had also gone missing.

Throughout the show, there seemed to be a steady stream of people looking around for phones and such. At the end there must've been 50 (maybe more) looking for their belongings and asking if anything had been handed in (of course it hadn't), so it seems as though some fine, upstanding member(s) of the community spent most of the evening dipping in peoples pockets.

Anyway, I got home and rang up the bank to cancel my cards firstly, then rang the police to report this theft. A string of stupid questions were asked before hearing one of the most ridiculous things I have heard.

So, I explained what happened - that during the concert I noticed my wallet had gone missing and that there were a few dozen others who had stuff go missing, so I believe I was pickpocketed.

"What time was this?"

"At about 10 o clock I guess..."

"When did you last have your wallet?"

I thought she was taking the piss with that question. But I answered.

"Well...just before then"

"Did you see someone take it?"

Another ridiculous question - Of course I did, I saw and felt someone reach into my pocket and take my wallet, but decided not to do anything about it.

"No"

"Well if you didn't see anyone take it, it'll probably only be logged as a loss"

"So, even though plenty of others had things go missing and there was nothing handed in at the end - It's only a loss?"

"We can't report it as a theft because theres no evidence that someone took it"

At this point she said she'd ring me back with a report number.

About 15 minutes later, the phone went again.

"There's been 5 other similar incidents, but because we've got no evidence we can only treat it as a loss"

"I wouldn't be surprised if you get a few more either, but it'll just be a massive coincidence that so many people lost things and nothing was handed in I expect. Thanks for your help."

Although surely, even if it did just fall out of my pocket, nothing was handed in so some wanker has still run off with my money, driving licence, bank cards, etc so its still a theft.

tl;dr - According to the police: Pickpocketing doesn't exist, you just lose things...
No evidence, nothing can be done. Sowie.

Quote by billybusa

kill that ****ing bitch (the police)

Yes, because that particular bit of police policy was obviously her fault.
You're a moron
Even if it seems clear, you actually need EVIDENCE, many people do see the person who pickpocketed them, since many pickpockets snatch and run, once they've got the item they're not so careful about being noticed.

I'm sorry you got robbed (since I do believe you probably were, though I've heard of larger numbers of people dropping things at gigs, gigs are places of lots of movement, you're not necessarily going to notice something fall, and once it's fallen it's lost under a lot of people, some of which may opportunistically take it)
But at the same time, the way you spoke to someone who was doing their job, and was far from responsible for both your loss, and the policy that made her job unsatisfactory to your needs, is frankly a disgrace.

I don't care what people think of the police, they do a damn good job, they work hard (I know plenty, my mum for one, and several of her colleagues through various Police events I've attended), and they don't deserve disrespect from you, it's a tough job as it is.
Obviously there are exceptions, but from what you've transcribed, this woman was far from dismissive or lazy.

EDIT
Quote by billybusa
this proves police just doesn't give a **** about people

yep

Ok
a)You're wrong
b)You deserve to be told your wrong...twice
c)You're wrong

They care as much as their job allows in the majority of cases, you can't simply go around searching an entire crowd of people (assuming you could even trace them all to their addresses) for a mystery pickpocket, it's a massive waste of time and there's absolutely no proof he exists, it could be people dropping stuff and other people finding it and keeping it (just as bad, but not as inherently illegal as being a thief)

And no, it's not her fault.
You, however, are the reason many police officers feel disenfranchised, and struggle to care about the people they are there to help.
Last edited by tushmeister at Feb 1, 2009,
Quote by billybusa

Oh yeah, a need for evidence in criminal proceedings is obviously indicative that they don't give a shit
Quote by billybusa

Or, y'know, being innocent until proven otherwise?

Come to think of it, why don't we just revert to the witch-hunt style of criminal justice?

Well I suppose it worked for the gestapo, it's worth a shot.

EDIT: Clearly Webbtje and me are on the same page
Quote by abstract pie
Ahh the pit. Where conversations of Pokemon Cards can turn into ones of wizard homosexuality

You are everything I want...
...'Cause you are...

...Everything I'm not.

Atheism. Is. Not. A. Religion.
Today's saints were yesterday's sellouts
Quote by StrayCatBlues
Or, y'know, being innocent until proven otherwise?

Come to think of it, why don't we just revert to the witch-hunt style of criminal justice?

Well I suppose it worked for the gestapo, it's worth a shot.

I think the Gestapo reference was unfair
We all know that the Monty Python fellows corrected the world-view of the Gestapo as a fun-loving bunch
I raged

people do silly things when raging

sorry
Quote by Carmel
You are a redeeming feature for the UG Swedish population.

All-riiight.
The pigs are the only people in the world who are payed for not doing their job.

I had me bike robbed a few years ago, I told them who did it and when - and even though the chav scum who had done it was riding round the neighborhood on the bike, the two cops that they sent round on the Friday to look into it were both about to take the weekend off... so come Monday when they got their arses in gear, my bike was already dismantled and sold off.

The police only arrests foreigners, longhairs and people who they can make money out of through fines. If there were any justice, all the cops would be GASSED.
What is the police supposed to do anyway ? Since no one actually saw someone pick-pocketing, there's no way at all for them to find out who it was...
The feck is 'raging' anyway.

Quote by tushmeister
I think the Gestapo reference was unfair
We all know that the Monty Python fellows corrected the world-view of the Gestapo as a fun-loving bunch

Mr. Hilter!

Quote by decayingdave

The police only arrests foreigners, longhairs and people who they can make money out of through fines. If there were any justice, all the cops would be GASSED.

Oh yeah, obviously the vast majority should be punished for the actions of the tiny minority.

Quote by StrayCatBlues

EDIT: Clearly Webbtje and me are on the same page

At last, someone gets that expression right
Last edited by webbtje at Feb 1, 2009,
Quote by webbtje
The feck is 'raging' anyway.

enraging

enrage

angry

Quote by Carmel

All-riiight.
Quote by decayingdave

If there were any justice, I would be GASSED.

Fixed.

You're just wrong, in every way. Seriously.
It's not a simple job, they can't just dive into the car and run over whoever you decide to point at.

EDIT
Webb
The Mr Hilter sketch is hilarious! I may even watch it now!
Quote by tushmeister
Fixed.

You're just wrong, in every way. Seriously.
It's not a simple job, they can't just dive into the car and run over whoever you decide to point at.

that's what they do when women claim their husbands are abusing them
Quote by Carmel

All-riiight.
Quote by billybusa

wut
Quote by billybusa

Again you astound me
My mum worked in family protection, dealing with exactly those cases, they'd act as quickly as possible, but they couldn't simply dive headfirst at the man without reasoning.

Honestly, you all comment and criticise, yet I expect none of you have ever a)spoken to a police officer other than when you're a suspect for drinking Blue Nun at a bus stop
b)Actually thought about how difficult a job it is
Quote by webbtje
I'm guessing social services bashing is all the rage after Baby P.

Kid got what he deserved, what type of hood name is Baby P

I'm kidding, please, don't crucify me
You didn't give them anything so they could even do a follow up. The best you can hope for is that if the guy gets caught for something else, they'll find your lost wallet and then they'll be able to file it as theft.
Quote by soulflyV
You sir, are and idiot. =/

Ummm, what? If you're gonna try to call someone out, at least do it right...
Quote by soulflyV
I was doing it right

...eh? That grammer made no sense. "are and idiot". What?
Quote by the1
...eh? That grammer made no sense. "are and idiot". What?

Your little thread didn't go unnoticed 'friend'

And grammer makes no sense either, dicktard
It's GRAMMAR

If you're going to call someone out, at least do it right ey
Quote by tushmeister
You're a moron
Even if it seems clear, you actually need EVIDENCE, many people do see the person who pickpocketed them, since many pickpockets snatch and run, once they've got the item they're not so careful about being noticed.

I'm sorry you got robbed (since I do believe you probably were, though I've heard of larger numbers of people dropping things at gigs, gigs are places of lots of movement, you're not necessarily going to notice something fall, and once it's fallen it's lost under a lot of people, some of which may opportunistically take it)
But at the same time, the way you spoke to someone who was doing their job, and was far from responsible for both your loss, and the policy that made her job unsatisfactory to your needs, is frankly a disgrace.

I don't care what people think of the police, they do a damn good job, they work hard (I know plenty, my mum for one, and several of her colleagues through various Police events I've attended), and they don't deserve disrespect from you, it's a tough job as it is.
Obviously there are exceptions, but from what you've transcribed, this woman was far from dismissive or lazy.

EDIT

Ok
a)You're wrong
b)You deserve to be told your wrong...twice
c)You're wrong

They care as much as their job allows in the majority of cases, you can't simply go around searching an entire crowd of people (assuming you could even trace them all to their addresses) for a mystery pickpocket, it's a massive waste of time and there's absolutely no proof he exists, it could be people dropping stuff and other people finding it and keeping it (just as bad, but not as inherently illegal as being a thief)

And no, it's not her fault.
You, however, are the reason many police officers feel disenfranchised, and struggle to care about the people they are there to help.

+1

It really annoys me when people talk s**t about the police.

TS, it's really your fault. You could have secured your wallet, or left it at home, when you went to this gig. Idiot.
Member of the 7-String + ERG Legion.
I make a point of not ever taking anything precious to a show. If I need to take my phone, I'll put it in a button-up pocket and basically fasten my hand to it for the entire thing.
Quote by webbtje
I make a point of not ever taking anything precious to a show. If I need to take my phone, I'll put it in a button-up pocket and basically fasten my hand to it for the entire thing.

Same, I take any money for merch loose (I know in essence I could lose it easier, but I spend it as soon as I'm in, and it saves carrying my wallet and either removing everything else or risking it all throughout the night), my phone since I often need it before or after in as secure a pocket as possible (and I check for it every few minutes), and that's it.
I don't even take a jacket, even if I have to stand in the cold for an hour beforehand, because I know I won't want to wear it once I'm in and tying it around my waist is hardly secure. Even though I'd notice it missing, it could fall and be taken quickly, or simply lost under the crowd.
Quote by webbtje

Same here. Luckily I have a zip pocket on a pair of my pants and I wear these to almost every show I've been to.

That doesn't stop me from making sure my wallet and phone are in there every ten minutes or so though.
I'm not so much moaning about the fact I had my stuff taken, it's a risk in that sort of situation. I resigned myself to the fact I wasn't getting it back as soon as it went missing, but to be basically told that it was my own fault that I got robbed (or didn't get robbed apparently) was a bit irritating.

At the end of the day, something went missing, someone has buggered off with my wallet (and my mate's phone and other people's belongings), therefore a crime has occured and it should be reported as such. Obviously it looks bad for the crime figures though so they don't bother.
Quote by urbanfox
I'm not so much moaning about the fact I had my stuff taken, it's a risk in that sort of situation. I resigned myself to the fact I wasn't getting it back as soon as it went missing, but to be basically told that it was my own fault that I got robbed (or didn't get robbed apparently) was a bit irritating.

At the end of the day, something went missing, someone has buggered off with my wallet (and my mate's phone and other people's belongings), therefore a crime has occured and it should be reported as such. Obviously it looks bad for the crime figures though so they don't bother.

It WAS your fault
You didn't secure your own belongings

And the police did what they could
You gave them no evidence

Heck have you even read the replies?
Seriously now, have you?
I would't say that it was the TS's fault, but at end of the day, it's just bad luck and unfortunate.
Quote by the1
I would't say that it was the TS's fault, but at end of the day, it's just bad luck and unfortunate.

How not?

It's your job to look after your belongings, not the Police Officer's.
TS didn't do that
He made himself an easy target, and so targeted he was, if you stand in the middle of the road and get hit by a car, do you blame the police?
I should hope not, but then again having read this thread I do wonder
The police at times are a joke. I've got a couple of stories posted in other threads about how useless they can be. For example, my girlfriends mums window got smashed, she even pointed out the guy that did it and the policewoman walked briskly towards the guy, who then ran away and we never heard back from him, obviously, because we knew who did it.

¬_¬
Quote by tushmeister
How not?

TS didn't do that
He made himself an easy target, and so targeted he was, if you stand in the middle of the road and get hit by a car, do you blame the police?

Because its a bit harsh to blame someone for having their stuff stolen. It's just bad luck- no need to point fingers.
Quote by tushmeister
How not?

TS didn't do that

I'm not saying it's the police's fault I was robbed (it's not my fault either by the way), just that they didn't report what was a crime.

Using the example of being hit by a car then...

If I were to be hit by a car, but the car didn't stop and nobody saw it - Would the conclusion be that nothing actually happened?
Quote by urbanfox
I'm not saying it's the police's fault I was robbed (it's not my fault either by the way), just that they didn't report what was a crime.

Using the example of being hit by a car then...

If I were to be hit by a car, but the car didn't stop and nobody saw it - Would the conclusion be that nothing actually happened?

a)That is a faulty analogy, I'll get back to that
b)You can't call it a crime if there's no evidence, since you could lose your wallet without it being stolen, there is an element of doubt, it's therefore not a crime without proof

Which brings me back to a), since you're unlikely to get severely injured standing still, there's your evidence.
I don't know what it's like where you all live, but around here the police are completely useless. My girlfriend and I were attacked while I was walking her home in broad daylight by a bunch of drunk teenagers. They all drink in the same park every weekend and the entire town knows it's a huge problem so it's not as if the police couldn't track them. Especially as I gave names and descriptions to the police, yet still they did nothing.

Another time this same group of teenagers smashed someone's front window, climbed through and smashed the house up. Just for fun. It was all over the local papers and everyone in the town knew who did it, but yet again the police did nothing.

I have loads more stories about how the police service is, for the most part, a waste of taxpayers' money. They might be technically doing their jobs, but until they take action when something serious happens and stop hiding away in the police station, noone is going to take them seriously.
Quote by tushmeister
a)That is a faulty analogy, I'll get back to that
b)You can't call it a crime if there's no evidence, since you could lose your wallet without it being stolen, there is an element of doubt, it's therefore not a crime without proof

Which brings me back to a), since you're unlikely to get severely injured standing still, there's your evidence.

It has been stolen though hasn't it. Whether some scumbag dipped into my pocket and took it, or someone picked it up off the floor and took it. It wasn't handed in, or left on the floor at the end.
Quote by urbanfox
It has been stolen though hasn't it. Whether some scumbag dipped into my pocket and took it, or someone picked it up off the floor and took it. It wasn't handed in, or left on the floor at the end.

Prove it wasn't on the floor of the venue still
I mean PROVE.
And it not being handed in isn't proof, it could've been knocked under the stage/somewhere similar at one point and never found. A longshot, but possible.

And it's not theft to find something and keep it, it's immoral, but it's not a crime, since the person who lost it is to blame for being careless.
Last edited by tushmeister at Feb 1, 2009,
Page 1 of 4