I see threads all the time, asking when to use this scale/mode etc. I did a quick search, and didn't see anything like this. So here's a guide to help everyone determine what scales and chords go together....

Major Scale (Ionian) - use with Major, Major 7, Major 6, Major 9, Major 6/9, add 9, Major 13.

Dorian - use with minor, minor 7, minor 6, minor 7 sus, minor 9, minor 11, minor 13, Dominant 7#9, minor 6/9.

Phrygian - use with minor and minor 7.

Lydian - use with Major, Major 7, Major 9, add9, Major 7 b5, Major 13, Major 7 #11.

Mixolydian - use with Major, Dominant 7, Dominant 7 sus4, Dominant 9, Dominant 11, Dominant 13.

Minor (Aeolian) - use with minor, minor 7, minor 9, minor 11.

Locrian - use with minor 7 b5 and diminished.

Major Pentatonic - use with Major, Major 7, Major 6, Major 9, Major 6/9, add 9.

Minor Pentatonic & Blues - use with minor, minor 7, minor 6, minor 6/9, minor 7 sus4, minor 9, minor 11, minor 13.

Harmonic Minor - use with minor, minor Major 7.

Locrian natural 6 (2nd mode of Harmonic minor) - use with minor 7 b5.

Ionian Augmented (3rd mode of Harmonic minor) - use with Major 7 #5.

Dorian #4 (4th mode of Harmonic minor) - use with minor, minor 7

Phrygian Major (5th mode of Harmonic minor) - use with major and Dominant 7 b9.

Lydian #9 (6th mode of Harmonic minor) - use with Major 7 and add 9.

Altered Diminished (7th mode of Harmonic minor) - use with diminished and diminished 7.

Melodic minor - use with minor, minor 6, minor 6/9, minor Major 7.

The Melodic minor scale does have modes as well. However, the 3rd mode (Lydian Augmented), 4th mode (Lydian Dominant), 6th mode (Locrian Natural 2), and 7th mode, (Super Locrian), are the only ones you'll probably ever use.

Lydian Augmented - use with Major 7 Augmented.

Lydian Dominant - use with Dominant 7, Dominant 7 b5, Dominant 7 #11

Super Locrian - use with Dominant 7 b5, Dominant 7 #9, Dominant 7 Augmented, Dominant 7 b9, or any variation, 7 b5 b9, etc.

Whole Tone - use with Dominant 7 b5, Dominant 7 #5, Augmented.

Diminished Scales (either Whole/Half or Half Whole) - use with Diminished Diminished 7, minor 7 b5.

Power chords technically are not chords. But the great thing about them is that they can function as Major, minor or Dominant. So you've got a lot of scale choices you can use over them.

I think that's the jist of it.

Before somebody decides to get nit-picky, I know there are a few other choices.
For example, you can play minor Pentatonic off the 5th, over a minor 7 chord.
I'm trying to keep this as simple as possible.

To quote Jimmy Fallon's SNL character, Nick Burns, YOU'RE WELCOME!!!!

Now go practice.
There's my way and the wrong way.
Last edited by seth's daddy at Feb 4, 2009,
Although you can find this in a variety of lessons on this site.
It's pretty useful, thanks.
♪♫♪
92% percent of the teen population would be dead if Hollywood said it wasn't cool to breathe anymore.
Put this in your signature if you are one of the 92% who wouldn't be breathing.
That's a nice sheet.

Going into print incase I get Alzheimer.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by seth's daddy

Diminished Scales (either Whole/Half or Half Whole) - use with Diminished Diminished 7, minor 7 b5.

Half Whole over a compound chord like a Dominant 13b9.

Before somebody decides to get nit-picky

Sorry!

Just an after thought. Perhaps you should mention Pentatonic Substitution too. For the benefit of players who find it easier soloing with the pentatonic.
Last edited by mdc at Feb 1, 2009,
now those chords that are made up of the notes in those scales? wouldn't it just be easier to think of it in terms of the notes. instead of remember a **** ton of chords? just kinda make your own up (but of course they would be the same chords you said but prob inverted or something)