Hello. I have asked this previously in the thread "What do i need to learn to play these (metal) songs?", but i decided to give it it's own thread.

I want to learn a picking technique next to alternate picking. What picking technique should i practice first after alternate picking? sweep picking, economy picking, or something else?
Also i've begun practicing economy picking, however do you really need to use hammer-ons so you get an odd number of pick strokes?
What do you wanna learn the techniques for?

Why do you need the techniques?

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Economy & Sweep, and down strokes, you don't know down strokes until you can play Reign in blood purely with it
Gear:
2011 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
2012 Tanglewood TW170

Boss Katana 100w 1x112
Line 6 HD500
Quote by wyldelife
Economy & Sweep, and down strokes, you don't know down strokes until you can play Reign in blood purely with it

+1 that song is the harbinger of arms
Ibanez RG1570
Randall RG75G3
EHX Metal Muff
Quote by xxdarrenxx
What do you wanna learn the techniques for?

Why do you need the techniques?

I want to get faster at playing guitar and want to play pieces like in Canon Rock by Jerry C. I intend at playing metal, symphonic/melodic power metal.
Quote by robinlint
I want to get faster at playing guitar and want to play pieces like in Canon Rock by Jerry C. I intend at playing metal, symphonic/melodic power metal.

Then start with any advanced technique you look.

Doesn't really matter which 1 first.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Thanks for the fast reply. Alright, i'll practice sweep picking then. I like alternate picking more than economy for now. I still quite suck at hammer-ons and pull-offs.
Quote by robinlint
Thanks for the fast reply. Alright, i'll practice sweep picking then. I like alternate picking more than economy for now. I still quite suck at hammer-ons and pull-offs.

Oh in that case, you should start with legato.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Legato is hammer-ons and pull-offs? Is it essential for fast and clean playing? Is it usable on an acoustic guitar?
Quote by robinlint
Legato is hammer-ons and pull-offs? Is it essential for fast and clean playing? Is it usable on an acoustic guitar?

very;

in fact every electric technique can be used on acoustics

except for whammy'ing upwards, for obvious reasons
Yes;

Legato helps with multiple things.

Foremost it will increase ur hammer on's and pull off's and it also help in left hand coordination.

If you can play good legato, then it's most likely fast alt. picking runs will come sooner, because ur left hand gets far more independent control and finger strength.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??