they dont...brixton was packed..and dir en grey..bmth and msi arent sellouts lol
=BROLY - HIS POWER IS MAXIMUM=
also led zep would fill 02 arenas across the UK..and arent sellouts?!
=BROLY - HIS POWER IS MAXIMUM=
iron maiden sell out everywhere

they aren't sell outs!! they're just pure awesome!!!!!
Because selling out arenas and stadiums is not metal.

And if you have to ask what's wrong with being a sellout, you have no principles.

Quote by a6l6e6x1
iron maiden sell out everywhere

they aren't sell outs!! they're just pure awesome!!!!!

Iron Maiden is the exception to the rule because they're more metal than anything.
You're*
No, when you make a new album you sell out.

'omfg metlica r makin a new album, wat sellouts'.

People don't even know the meaning of the word anymore.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
I have never considered a band who can sell out stadiums as "sell outs". I consider bands sell out when they change their unique sound to the generic money making sounds (coughlostprophetscough)

Also when they start making a lot of **** merchandise. E.g. KISS.
A sell out is when a band changes their music simply to sell more records/become more popular/make more money. Selling out a venue is different.
Selling out a venue is different from ditching your core values to make money.
Personally, I don't see the problem with it. People have to make their own choices, and if they choose to sell out, let them.
Nothing wrong with selling out, I´d do it too if I had the chance.
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
Banned for being the coolest April 08'er on UG.

please check out my own album:
almilano.bandcamp.com
selling out stadiums doesn't make you a sell out.

changing the style of your music in order to sell out stadiums makes you a sell out.

Quote by boreamor

Also when they start making a lot of **** merchandise. E.g. KISS.

yeah, but KISS was always largely about being a gimmick and making money, so they never really sold out, since they where never trying to do anything different in the first place.

Also on the merchandise thing it should be noted that a lot of the time the band doesn't really have any control over it.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Feb 1, 2009,
Well... you would have to define sellout...

I believe a sellout is a person/band who gets a taste of success, signs to a label and changes to meet the every request of said label with complete disregard for how/why they got there in the first place. Losing touch with music in general and thus turning themselves into a douche/pack of douches.

If you think the above paragraph is OK, you are one of the Jonas Brothers

End of story
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
its only when they pack out stadiums as a result of being sell outs (making their music more radio friendly to sell more records) that people hate them
And what's wrong with it? It's just wrong,don't argue
Quote by Mike!
This man IS the truth.

Quote by aznmetalhead93
Walk out naked with a sock around your dick. He'll be so surprised he won't shoot you. Then rape him. Hard. With melted butter as lube.

Join the Xbox Live group
Quote by Zero-Hartman
No, when you make a new album you sell out.

'omfg metlica r makin a new album, wat sellouts'.

People don't even know the meaning of the word anymore.

Couldn't agree more. It fucks me off to no end.
Ok ok ok, the thread started has gotten confused because of a joke that one of the members of Metallica started. When asked about them SELLING OUT, Lars, (I think), said "The only thing we sell out is arenas and stadiums."
Because people are elitist bastards, and need a illogical reason to hate bands.

Quote by NielsWho
Because people are elitist bastards, and need a illogical reason to hate bands.

It's not always illogical, it's just that the term is often misapplied, because usually when a band sells out their music suffers terribly, Metallica is a prime example of this.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by fairycake92
also led zep would fill 02 arenas across the UK..and arent sellouts?!

They would sell out anything I believe.
A band a sellout when they change their musical style in order to sell more. If every band sold out everything would sound like Nickelback or Fallout Boy, and no one wants that. It happens to most bands when they hit the mainstream, and show up on MTV or whatnot. It doesn't mean they sell out arenas and whatever.
This is my sig
Guys.

Sell-out is not derived from "selling-out" a stadium or large venue.

Rather, It's derived when a band "sells off" all of their musical worth/soul, in order to make money, hence the "sell".
Quote by kgesme21

Quote by Hsupernova

Oh yeah, and if guitar hero got you into the guitar? you're really playing for the wrong reasons.

there is no wrong reason to play a guitar, except for world enslavement and extermination of certain races, but those guys never make it big anyway.
Quote by fairycake92
they dont...brixton was packed..and dir en grey..bmth and msi arent sellouts lol

How did BMTH sell out?
They made a musical progression as a band, a rather large one but there new stuff is no more commercially viable then there old stuff.

There all stuff was more sell out and trendy i think, trying to tap into the thriving deathcore scene.

Although they did state that they were getting out of the dying deathcore scene.
So may sell out alittle bit, but there music is much more intricate and thought out.
Not just riffs in harmonic minor all the time.
Last edited by wongacaster at Feb 1, 2009,
Quote by fairycake92

Yeah, you tell yourself that.

What makes a band a sellout is when they start to cater to other people for the proverbial phat cash, rather than just playing it because they like it.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
A sellout is usually when a creative band like Metallica change their sound dramatically in order to sell more albums and sell more tickets at concerts but don't really consider the true fans they are letting down that have stuck with them for all those years and they soon mimic themselves and don't stay true to themselves. It's like they're letting money and fame ruin their talent.

It could also be bands like the Jonas Brothers who were only spawned not to make good music but to make boatloads of cash and that's it.

Either way they are both horrid. It's like when the band Yes came out with "Owner of a Lonely Heart" yeah it's ok and all but it's not like Close to the Edge and Roundabout.

EDIT: Imagine Opeth changing their sound to pop and making 3 minute bubble gum smash hits that got played night and day on the radio and they got their faces all over magazines and on tv. Sure it's still Opeth...but it's not. Oh and if they got played on Disney Channel 24/7.
Last edited by KileManA7X at Feb 1, 2009,
sellouts =/= selling out whole stadium...

This is Larry The If you click him, he will give you magic powers.
srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
a band that is a "sell out" is a band that does just what people want to make money.

Take Papa Roach
they went from a Rap Rock band back when Limp Bizkit was big

now look at them...

to many, that is the definition of "sell out"

many bands do things that people hate and they label them as sell out.

becuase not every band can be like Pearl Jam, not make videos, and not use Ticketmaster.

aka, the term is only used by elitist asshole's who's opinions I completely ignore, music and otherwise.
Quote by sluffinator
Yeh this guy knows his ****... just listen to him XD

Quote by ScreamingCheeto
NaivexLi is anything but naive. His post was a pretty good source of info.

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

Pro tip, kids - girls are NOT impressed by your blood.
Quote by Magero
Ok ok ok, the thread started has gotten confused because of a joke that one of the members of Metallica started. When asked about them SELLING OUT, Lars, (I think), said "The only thing we sell out is arenas and stadiums."

This is what I thought of when I read the thread.

Also, it's always interesting to see how many posts it takes until Metallica are mentioned in any thread about 'selling out'. (I don't even think they did, but whatever)
FALKIRK

We'll win something someday

Quote by Minkaro
Falkirk is the home of runners up.

Check out my Tunes
Quote by NaivexLi
a band that is a "sell out" is a band that does just what people want to make money.

Take Papa Roach
they went from a Rap Rock band back when Limp Bizkit was big

now look at them...

to many, that is the definition of "sell out"

many bands do things that people hate and they label them as sell out.

becuase not every band can be like Pearl Jam, not make videos, and not use Ticketmaster.

aka, the term is only used by elitist asshole's who's opinions I completely ignore, music and otherwise.

A good case, but I wouldn't see them as sell-outs per se. Their style was starting to change when nu-metal was still huge (lovehatetragedy as an example), and it wasn't until getting away with murder that they changed into a more typical "Rock" band, but the core values of the band are still there, its' just not the angst-friendly nu-metal of the infest lp anymore, which to be honest, I honestly prefer. What's made them seem sell-outs is that accordance with typical modern Rock N Roll image that stemmed back from the LA bands of the late 80's like Guns, Crue, LA guns and others. Also, the guys-with-eyeliner thing is a bit of a black mark (or should it be ring?).
Lets' face it, to keep fresh, bands have to change and adapt. If they stayed in their one style of their first or breakthrough album, they'd become quickly outdated and rendered one-trick ponies. The "Sell-out" label is stupidly over-used these days, and would only really apply if someone like hetfield decided to write the score for high school musical 4.
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
I always thought being a sellout meant, say for Iron Maiden - If they did a Pepsi Commercial for money, they'd be sellouts, but if they sold out an arena they played at? They have no control over that, that isn't being a sellout. They sellout the arena whether or not they charge cash, they need to pay their crew, for their equipment, power, arena rental. Charging for tickets is hardly selling out.