okay so my parents sponatenously got me a new laptop today which means less mess, more room etc. i was really ahppy and pumped, thinkin how easy it would be to record new music and stuff. what do you know? there is no line-in port which i am REALLY used to. there is only a integrated mic and a mic input. Can someone tell me how i should go about recording my guitar and keyboard now that i am "line-in-less"? And be able to get good quality sounds. Any helpful responses and stupid laughable responses are greatly appreciated. thanks
kind regards
"Could I have egg, sausage, chips and beans, and a tea." - Nick Mason
I think i read this thread for the same reason other people did, and was just as dissapointed.
You can buy a Line 6 Pod, which is USB I think. Then connect your guitar to it, it to laptop, and away you go.
There's something on musicians friend program wise that comes with a USB to guitar in type thing I believe...don't hold me to it though
Gear
Ibanez GSA60
Jackson DXMGT
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Ibanez S470 DXQM
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000
Crate Halfstack and Crate 50W Tube Head
Boss MT-2, CH-1, CS-3, NS-2, & Cry Baby
Crate XT65R
Sell the laptop, and buy lottery tikets with the proceeds.
Then, when you win the lottery, build a proper studio.
Problem solved.
Quote by EvoLancer211
There's something on musicians friend program wise that comes with a USB to guitar in type thing I believe...don't hold me to it though

There are quite a few of those.
Don't get a jamlab, though. They blow.
Quote by bapplebo
You can buy a Line 6 Pod, which is USB I think. Then connect your guitar to it, it to laptop, and away you go.

holy stuffy!!!
you totally reminded me!!! i have a zoom g2.u! with usb interface. That could well b my solution thanks

btw...i did get butt raped..
"Could I have egg, sausage, chips and beans, and a tea." - Nick Mason
Just get a Mic/headset whit USB connection and your good to go..

(nvm)
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
Quote by MightyAl
Sell the laptop, and buy lottery tikets with the proceeds.
Then, when you win the lottery, build a proper studio.
Problem solved.

Do it!
Quote by alaskan_ninja
Everyone is trying a comeback now. Metallica, Smashing Pumpkins, Rage, and now bin Laden? Come on. Give it a rest..

haha
Quote by bapplebo

yeah, something like that.
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
USB. 'Nuff said. There's gotta be some sort of moderately good recording equipment that uses USB these days...

S t a i r s s r i a t S

Quote by boreamor
Yeah, that's all I know of =/

I'm sure there's wireless microphones but they'll be much more expensive.

Wireless mic's are a pain in the ass I'm telling you. We used one at church and it kept ypicking up my wireless bass system.
Quote by guitaro69
holy stuffy!!!
you totally reminded me!!! i have a zoom g2.u! with usb interface. That could well b my solution thanks

Yeah, that should work.

I'll take my case of beer now.
Quote by guitaro69
holy stuffy!!!

that's all I needed to know.
*leaves thread*
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Wireless mic's are a pain in the ass I'm telling you. We used one at church and it kept ypicking up my wireless bass system.

They have one at the chuch I used to go to.

One time during a song, we had an ad from the radio play
Quote by boreamor
They have one at the chuch I used to go to.

One time during a song, we had an ad from the radio play

With our church we use wireless vocal mikes and one day the two band mikes mixed the signals so it sounded like the bandleader was singing our female backing vocalist's part and she was singing his, if you were too far back to see what they were singing.

And my wireless bass set-up meant I kept hearing stuff in Spanish.
You said there's a mic input. That is the line in.

Mine is the same. I record everything through that input- keyboards, guitars, bass, vocals, piano, etc etc.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by rabidguitarist
You said there's a mic input. That is the line in.

no it isn't, the mic input goes through a (usually very crappy) mic preamp, you really shouldn't run line level signals into a mic input, it sounds terrible and can potentially fry the onboard preamp.

I suggest dropping $100 on a fairly decent recording interface.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
no it isn't, the mic input goes through a (usually very crappy) mic preamp, you really shouldn't run line level signals into a mic input, it sounds terrible and can potentially fry the onboard preamp.

I suggest dropping $100 on a fairly decent recording interface.

I record everything through the mic input, doesn't sound terrible to me.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by rabidguitarist
I record everything through the mic input, doesn't sound terrible to me.

it probably would to most professionals, and also it's a good way to fry your sound card. A lot of your stuff also sounds extremely over processed, and from what I listened to I couldn't here anything that did sound like it was done in a computer other than vox.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Feb 1, 2009,
Line 6 toneport.

It's designed for guitar, but if you set it up with a clean amp you could probably do keyboards too.