right now im learning a song with fairly fast down picking. i can play it alright but after playing for like 10 min my hand starts to cramp up. its been like that for about a week. any suggestions? thanks!
Yeah. When you practise stuff like that, you train new muscles. You'll get used to it.
How fast? I recommend, this, warm up your hands before playing, even if your a guitarist. I'm trying to get 16th notes down faster in the morning, warming up your fingers really helps, it may take a while.
Metronome. Start slow and play without any tension, and when your confident enough, raise the tempo.

Theres so many questions and problems that this has answered and more and more to come...
Alternate or economy pick instead.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Quote by RozzLe
lol ive never heard that term, downpicking. what is that?

Picking from the top of the string to the bottom (6 -> 1).
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
Why not alt. pick?
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
Quote by RozzLe
lol ive never heard that term, downpicking. what is that?

that all ur pickstrokes are played toward the ground.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
It takes a long time man. Like most Metallica songs are all downpicking. Downpicking sounds fuller IMO.
Quote by Psalm 150:4
Why not alt. pick?

because some somes are made to be played with down picking, it provides a powerful attack and a different tone.

personally I use Avenged Sevenfold - Unholy Confessions for my down picking training.
Quote by Castiel
because some somes are made to be played with down picking, it provides a powerful attack and a different tone.

personally I use Avenged Sevenfold - Unholy Confessions for my down picking training.

I dare you to downpick The Brighter Side of Suffering, by As Blood Runs Black.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Quote by Hidden Hippo
Picking from the top of the string to the bottom (6 -> 1).

ok. thank you. lol i can do that i just didnt know that was the term haha
Quote by Psalm 150:4
Why not alt. pick?

Because there is a lot of old metal stuff (primarily a lot of Metallica stuff) that is played with all downstrokes and you dont get the same thumping "chugging" sound if you alt. pick.
A good example of a song with down picking is Master of Puppets

Usually I play it when I practice downpicking. In standart tuning and with a lot of palm muting. My arm even hurts when i finish playing it
MAKE MORE METALCORE BANDS

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Because there is a lot of old metal stuff (primarily a lot of Metallica stuff) that is played with all downstrokes and you dont get the same thumping "chugging" sound if you alt. pick.

still practice alt. picking because it becomes very useful when learning Mettalica guitar solos. and other metal guitar solos.

and to get your hand to stop cramping. try some speed exercise, and make sure you do them correctly or you'll be even more screwed then before, but after consistently do speed exercise the cramps will happen less and less often.

Practice & rock on man!!!