Hello Hello

i recently got a new teacher who sorta "connected the dots" with my playing and with the help of 3 note per string exercises got my speed right up. He is a jazz player with mild metal experience so i was wondering how can i get my metal chops up.

i currently do a lot of sequenced scale runs trying alternate picking (supposedly i have a natural economic style and have to learn alternate) i can get high speed legato and was just wondering how i can use a metronome to get my picking hand up to speed.

i know it probably takes longer than what i am expecting but my speed and fluency has increased dramatically in just a few weeks.Any runs/techniques and advice on metronome usage would be awesome, as exercise or songs to learn that enhance the techniques well
Quote by mrcr0wley
Hello Hello
just wondering how i can use a metronome to get my picking hand up to speed.
advice on metronome usage would be awesome

8th notes = 2 notes/picks per click
16th notes = 4 notes/picks per click

8th note triplets = 3 picks per click
16th note triplets = 6 picks per click
Last edited by mdc at Feb 1, 2009,
The metronome doesn't do anything. You have to get your picking up to speed by focusing on developing as much control and economy of motion as possible. The metronome is a concentration aid and timekeeping device.

Try reading the stickies.
Quote by mrcr0wley

.Any runs/techniques and advice on metronome usage would be awesome, as exercise or songs to learn that enhance the techniques well

Take your metronome, set on 60-70 BPM and leave it there. Now, practice all your scale runs at different timings - triplets, 16ths, pentuplets, sextuplets..., the same thing played with different timings will FEEL and SOUND different. That would be a good use of the metronome. Playing everything as 16th notes then increasing the BPM all the time, which is what most people do, is not a very good use of the metronome.

Why aren't you asking your teacher?
Quote by edg

Why aren't you asking your teacher?

coz he said there a waste of time
Endorser of ESP/LTD Guitars
Lead Guitarist in Hybrid Nightmares
Melbourne Guitar Academy
www.melbourneguitaracademy.com
Quote by mrcr0wley
coz he said there a waste of time

Without a purpose it musically is indeed a waste of time.

Playing chromatics perfect in time at high speed isn't gonna help with the odd rhythms and "patterns" and technique switching (ie string skip runs to an arpeggio ending on a sweep tap, or something like that) That most acclaimed shredders use.

Well that's a lie, it does increase ur right hand, but like 95% of slop comes from left and right hand not synchronised (something which a lot of times falls apart if you go from sextuplets to septuplets in the middle of a bar if you only practice straight rhythms.)

90% of shred boredom comes from people who play lick after lick, and not connecting every lick in a musical interesting way. A phenomenon that can result from too much practising to a metronome, making you play every lick as an exercise.

Like in a song ur writing; first 2 bars sweeps, then 2 bars of super fast alt. picking runs, and then 2 bars of tapping.

Of course this can be made interesting, but you get my drift.

Francesco faerari straight 16ths/32ths = boredom; Although debatable, just stating the obvious. Even if you are impressed with what he does, in 5 years when you get older, it won't impress you anymore. Unless ur the one odd person out who's a freak and really purely wants to be or listen to the fastest most technical ever. But I can tell from experience this is mostly not the case

Pg playing straight 16ths hitting accents on different beats = yummie

That being said, it doesn't matter how you divide ur metronome, as long you get the relativity. In time is in time no matter how u set it.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Feb 2, 2009,