ok so im trying to get my home studio complete, i got
PC
M-Audio Monitors
Toneport
Guitar tracks pro

im getting a mixer today beacasue i wanna be able to record drums, i know that if
i keep the toneport my drums will go in the the guitar tracks as one file so i have to
set the drums to sound pretty good before recording, my question is. Is there anything else i need besides more mics? do i need a preamp? or the toneport is enough?
i know there vocal preamps right? and instrument preamp? if i decdide to swicth ou tthetoneport for the pre amps, how could i connet the pre amps to my pc?

Im no trying to get close to a pro sound just something decent not super cheap you know. Thanks everyone and anyone that helps out.
oh yeah my mixer is a samick sm1200 its an analog mixer is there going to be any problem connecting it to the toneport?
most mixers have two outputs, L and R that you want to input into your computer. I'm not familiar with the toneport, but if it has two inputs (L and R in stereo) you could at least get stereo sound from the mixer into your computer. but mix the drums beforehand, since you can't change that much once you have the drums recorded.

the mixer should have preamps for your mics, so what you need is mics for recording drums. I'd suggest four mics if your recording drums like this, overheads L and R, kick and snare.

and a preamp is a preamp, some are more suitable for vocals while others are more suitable for instruments, but any preamp can be used for both.
does the toneport have a preamp?

either way, you can record your vocals thru your mixer and use the preamps that it has.
The mic in on the toneport should BE a preamp.

Read the links in my sig, its pretty much the only way to get close to pro results. Be advised though, the pros use $4000 preamps, compressors etc. So there is only a limit to what your quality is going to be like. I don't wanna cut you down but just be advised. You WILL need monitors if you wanna get your mixes sounding pro though.
Quote by doommaker
The mic in on the toneport should BE a preamp.

Read the links in my sig, its pretty much the only way to get close to pro results. Be advised though, the pros use $4000 preamps, compressors etc. So there is only a limit to what your quality is going to be like. I don't wanna cut you down but just be advised. You WILL need monitors if you wanna get your mixes sounding pro though.

just to be a little annoying, really good producers and recording engineers don't need equipment that costs that much to get good results. it IS possible to get decent sounding recordings with semi-good equipment if you know how to use it to it's fullest and make sure to put alot of work into the recording process.

and good monitors are the second step imo, getting a good sound onto tape is the first step. knowing your listening enviroment is more important than having really transparent sounding monitors with a flat eq response.

edit:
to clarify, I don't think it's right to recommend people to spend alot of money on equipment they can't handle anyways. you gotta learn to crawl before you walk, and walk before you run.
Last edited by rasker at Feb 1, 2009,
I know that, but there is a limit, i wouldnt call a toneport anywhere near a pro interface, i really do understand what you mean, you can get pro results with motu stuff which is fairly cheap gear, but there is a threshold.
Quote by doommaker
I know that, but there is a limit, i wouldnt call a toneport anywhere near a pro interface, i really do understand what you mean, you can get pro results with motu stuff which is fairly cheap gear, but there is a threshold.

+1
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by doommaker

agreed. but more importantly, an amature who doesn't know what he's doing is not going to get better results with better, and most importantly more expensive, equipment. or at least, not a remarkable amount of difference. it's the same reason people shouldn't get a Gibson for their first guitar, because it will still sound crap.

so we're both right. but I'm saying let's get people to know how to work their gear really well before telling them to upgrade everything. not specificly for this thread, and certainly not meant as purely directed towards yourself. but I see alot of it in the R&R forum.
well im not really going tpwards getting a pro sound or anything like that, and i already monitors by the way. if you wanna check out the qualoty of mu music right now check my sig. i was just want to improve a little bit more my sound and be able to record drums. sa basically i got all i need right?
so do i hook up my mixer to the two line inputs or the analog outputs? what are the analog outputs for?