I am about to replace the dimbucker (which I realy was never fond of) and the stock neck pick up of my Ibanez RG570EX.

I am stuck between two pickups ..
Dimarzio EVO 2
Seymore Duncan JB

The tones I am into are
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
Doug Aldrich
Vivien Campbell
Andy Timmons
Nancy Wilson
.... and generally warm 80s lead tones

Which one would you recomened OR would it be a good/bad idea to mix them and have one in the bridge and one in the neck and if so which ones where?

Thanks
Wow that was quick

So one vote for the JB

just to clarify have you used both pickups I mentioned or just had experiance with JB, also how would you describe its strengths and weakneses? (just trying to get as much information to work with as possible since I am unable to try before I buy.
Warm? JB?

No, not in a million years...it's bright, trebly and not all that great in basswood.

You, sir, want a pair of Dimarzio Breeds. I bought a bunch of pickups from the Dimarzio rep in the UK, and for one guitar I said " I want an awesome classic rock machine, something with plenty of warmth and character but some bite too - I assume the Super Distortion be what I need?". His reply was that the reason the Super was so popular was simply because for a long time it was the only after market pickup you could get so loads of artists were trying them and many stuck with them. However, he then added that he'd like to think the company had moved on a lot since then and that more often than not there were better options out there...he recommended the Breed, and he was right.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Feb 1, 2009,
Vai is using the evolutions on basswood/alder, so it should be a decent combination to help you achieve that tone.
What's your amp more importantly?
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
A Breed would be killer. You would probably also dig the DiMarzio Mo' Joe.
If you're got the cash, I'd reccomend Bare Knuckles; Holy Divers for you.

If you want the artists' specific tones...

Vai: Evolution
Satch: FRED
Aldritch: Holy Diver
Campbell: Holy Diver
Timmons: DiMarzio AT-1
Wilson: No clue.
I dont know whether I should hide before I say this since I dont know how people react to this particular peice of equipment on this forum but I use an Axe-FX through a relatively full range system.

Back to pickups, the breeds are looking really interesting, after reading it says they have less 'scream' than the evo2s though. God this is hard! Ignoring Vai for a minute which do you think is the closest to that signature 80s sound you used to hear from Heart, Skid Row, Queesrych (with beautiful their cleans).

Also that brings me to the other thing is that I want it to still sound great on the clean channel which is why I am not looking at the original evolution pickups.

Its not their spesific sounds I am wanting to emulate as much as get versitile pickup that is closest to that era of sound.
Last edited by Whirlwind123 at Feb 1, 2009,
That's the problem - there's a pretty wide range of tones there, a lot of the more eclectic Dimarzios have qualities that are actually fairly easy to dial into your sound but hard to get rid of when you don't want them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
That's the problem - there's a pretty wide range of tones there, a lot of the more eclectic Dimarzios have qualities that are actually fairly easy to dial into your sound but hard to get rid of when you don't want them.

Then show me the amp settings that'll get me FRED's vocal tone and harmonics and the Evo's clarity.

:\

@TS: If you just want the sound of the era, try the Breed or, if you can afford it, the Holy Diver.
Harmonic response and clarity is a different matter, but as far as the vocal qualities of the fred go that's the kind of thing you can get close to with an EQ pedal and a half cocked wah....however it's a lot harder to EQ that quality out of the pickup.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

How about this ... An Evo2 in the bridge and a breed in the neck? (the breed is lower output isnt it?)
Quote by steven seagull
Harmonic response and clarity is a different matter, but as far as the vocal qualities of the fred go that's the kind of thing you can get close to with an EQ pedal and a half cocked wah....however it's a lot harder to EQ that quality out of the pickup.

Fair enough.
My only remaining argument is that no true tone hound worth his salt would settle for an EQ in place of a pickup. But I digress.
^ I'd agree with you there, however a lot of the posts asking about pickups aren't exactly from tone*****s and more often than not the answer to their problems isn't pickups at all, they just want it to be.

Quote by Whirlwind123
How about this ... An Evo2 in the bridge and a breed in the neck? (the breed is lower output isnt it?)

Even the Evo2 isn't going to give you the warm tones you're after, it's warm compared to a regular Evolution but that's not exactly saying a lot - it's still a shred pickup.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Maybe I was wrong with my 'warm' description, its just 80s shred\ early 90s shred as opposed to the super high gain modern shred that would require emgs or very high output. I consider Vai, Pretrucci, and the rest of the virtuoso guys shred just didnt want somtheing like zak wyldes or Alexi Liho tone as thats a bit much for my style.
Quote by steven seagull
^ I'd agree with you there, however a lot of the posts asking about pickups aren't exactly from tone*****s and more often than not the answer to their problems isn't pickups at all, they just want it to be.

Agree completely.
@TS:
Vai uses the Evo, Petrucci the D-Sonic...
I guess the typical shred workhorse pickup would indeed be the Evo, as every note rings out crystal clear. The Evo 2 is slightly friendlier than the regular Evolution, so take your pick. You'll probably prefer the Breed in the neck as the alnico magnets won't kill clean tone in the same way as a ceramic.
"You'll probably prefer the Breed in the neck as the alnico magnets won't kill clean tone in the same way as a ceramic."

Very good to know thanks