Still haven't got a new amp yet and still am not 100% sure what to get! I've decided I'm definitely getting a Marshall because a Marshall and Les Paul were made for each other! I've read mixed reviews for both (JCM 900 and 2000) but apparently the 900 is a lot better with a overdrive pedal. I have an Ibanez Tube Screamer TS-9 so that should hopefully solve the 'lack of gain' that people claim it has on the 900. I've also asked quite a lot of questions on here but as this is gonna be the amp that I am going to have for years, I wanna make sure I'm making the right decision. I tried the JCM 900 Hi Gain 4102 out on Friday night and I was very impressed, with the TubeScreamer kicked I was blown away. It sounded amazing! I haven't heard the TSL in person but have watched a lot of demos on YouTube. I'd like to get that classic Marshall sound. Something that will give me the classic Iron Maiden sound of the 80's, Led Zeppelin, Guns N' Roses, AC/DC, Thin Lizzy but also 'heavy' enough for Metallica and they are my limit because I can't really listen to anything heavier than that! Basically the great 80's sound but also stuff from the 70's and 90's (don't really play much from the 2000's). The DSL sounds pretty nice but I've only seen a 1 speaker combo and I'm looking for a 2 speaker combo. Is the crunch on TSL too modern and nasty? Or is the TSL far from sounding like a classic Marshall? Any opinions on which is better for my style of playing and what you'd get if you were me?

Thanks so much for the help so far! :]
I don't know much about mega-high watt amps, but I'd definitely say go for Marshall. I've worked with four different Marshalls in my time and I've never had any problem with them.

Though this is a fairly un-related question, do you believe what everyone enters on their gear list, amp wise? It's either that most people have being telling lies (claiming they all have 450W stacks in their bedrooms) or I'm the only person on this site with a 15 Watt amp.
Gear;
- B.C. Rich Warbeast Bloodbound
- B.C. Rich NT Zombie 5-String Bass
- BOSS GT-10 Multi Effects TANK!
...In other words, I'm taking a giant dump on fender owners who use pods.
I personally hate the 2000 tsl, the 900 is okay, but the jcm800 really shines above all else imo. More importantly, play before you buy (because most guitar stores stock marshall) and decide for yourself.
Quote by decayingdave
I don't know much about mega-high watt amps, but I'd definitely say go for Marshall. I've worked with four different Marshalls in my time and I've never had any problem with them.

Though this is a fairly un-related question, do you believe what everyone enters on their gear list, amp wise? It's either that most people have being telling lies (claiming they all have 450W stacks in their bedrooms) or I'm the only person on this site with a 15 Watt amp.

Out of curiousity... which marshall amps did u work with??

and ur new question... umm.... i think alot of people probably have the same amp as u at some point of their guitaring career. i did once ( 15 watt mg XD), good times
and if people have 450 watt stacks in their bedroom, its probably just to compensate their lack of talent, skill, and to cover up the size of their penis. and they probably cant hear how crap their tone is

on topic, TS, just buy what ever sounds better. though u might wanna reconsider cos ur not getting the 'true tube' sound of the amp cos of the tubescreamer. though that said, ive only tried the DSL2000 so i cant say
i have a modest rig which consists of guitar related stuff
Member of the Laney Cult
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

my band : Fragments.
Last edited by kai2demax at Feb 1, 2009,
The JCM900 has a more modern distortion with a vintage flavor to it.

The TSL is meant to be modern sounding all around. A lot of people really don't like them on this forum, but they are expecting the vintage flavor to it. I love the TSL series. Great clean and 2 great distortion channels. My only gripe with this amp is the footswitch, which is pretty cheaply made. If you do not take great care of it, it will break down on you.

You really need to get your hands and ears on both of them.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
i bought it 2nd hand for about 900 euros. I own a AVT 100 and i looked for something which gives me more presence on the stage. The TSL122 does it definitely. THis amp can be loud, it can be a monster the crunch and lead sound is to die for and the clean channel is the one you dreamed of. Its sooo nice. My play has totaly changed since i have this amp. it is a monster but the clean channel has such a beautiful tone and is like an angel.
there is also a reducer switch, so you can play it in your appartment on a fraction of the output (it think it the power is reduced to 20watt or similiar) and there is also another very helpfull feature for reducing the volume while getting beautifull sound.
You can shortcut the input for the floorboard on channel one and then you can reduce the volume to a minuímum whil having full power fromt the tubes, which means deamoin overdrive if you like. Its amazing and it works. A lot of people have trouble with this amp because it has also a mute switch and other feasilities to reduce the volume (cause this amp can be LOUD!!)
But if you read the isntruction manual you will be firm soon. And i guess this is a beautifull instrument. I think they are not prolongued im not sure if you can buy a new one, but if you find one go a grab it. Its 100% worth
Hope this helps
elfi
If you're looking for the classic Marshall sound, get an 800 or 900.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by classicrocker01
If you're looking for the classic Marshall sound, get an 800 or 900.

Techically the classic Marshall sound is the Super Lead through JCM 800. The 900s changed their sound pretty drastically.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Techically the classic Marshall sound is the Super Lead through JCM 800. The 900s changed their sound pretty drastically.

Meh, they're a little different, but still much more classic sounding than the 2000. It's still pretty Marshally sounding to me
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by classicrocker01
Meh, they're a little different, but still much more classic sounding than the 2000. It's still pretty Marshally sounding to me

Different strokes for different folks!

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
^Yep, the best thing is to go try both!

BTW, congrats on the 800 bubb_tubbs, awesome amp
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by classicrocker01
^Yep, the best thing is to go try both!

BTW, congrats on the 800 bubb_tubbs, awesome amp

It is yummy indeed.

i have the jcm900 but i cant speak for the other amps. i can also reccomend the vintage modern combo though.

my impression of the jcm900 is that its a simple, great sounding rock n roll amp. it is very versitile and will handle anything from blues to death metal. it will need an overdrive pedal for anything within the broad metal umbrella. personally i only boost it for shred but most people probably use more gain for their rhythm playing than me. unlike previous amps ive had, it sounds great at every place in its gain range. the only thing one might not like about it is that the tone is not specifically geared for one particular genre.

the vintage modern is very different in the way you use it but you can get even more tones out of it. it is a bit bright for my taste (counting that i had the upper frequency gain knob up and the treble eq down). while it isnt as user friendly as the jcm, i think it is more versitile. both sound great though. i cant decide which one is better.
I just picked up a 2000 TSL in trade for my Peavey Triple X. The TSL does not have as much gain as the peavey but the clarity is far aboev the peavey between notes plus I run a 10 band thru the loop to shape it for a little higher gain. The TSL is awsome IMO. Also it depends on what cab your running with any head, a junk cab can make an awsome head sound like cheese. I run a mesa 412 loaded the C 90 black shadows with the marshall and to me, the tone is pure bliss especially with the brootz!!!