is the ability to sing something you have to be born with? or is a skill that you can develop like playing guitar?
i think it's both. you CAN be born with it, but if not, you can learn. why are you asking this in the pit, anyway?
You learn it.

some practice form early ages, so it may seem like they were born with it, but its just that theyve been singing along to tv show themetunes ever since they started watching CBBC.
kk thanks guys. now the question is.. i scream as well so im kinda sceptical of taking lessons.. cuz i dont wanna sound like a showtune singer.. should i try it anyways?
I think with singing you have to have just some degree of natural talent, but the vast majority of it is based on practice just like anything else.
[SIZE=
I believe the answer is an old Dutch word that translates into "Whale's Vagina."
Epiphone SG
Crate V-18 212
Xaviere XV-500
Boss PS-5 SUPER Shifter
Digitech Bad Monkey

SWINE FLU FREE SINCE 1974
Quote by MoroneSaxatilis
I believe the answer is an old Dutch word that translates into "Whale's Vagina."

lol wut?
Quote by MoroneSaxatilis

San Deigo?!

I think its a bit of both. It helps if you a born with the natural ability to carry a tune, but it is something that can be learnt.

Screaming isnt really singing is it? You dont need singing lessons if you just want to scream. If you do want to sing, i suppose it would be worth looking at lessons.
I'll run in the rain till Im breathless
When Im breathless I'll run till I drop
The thoughts of a fools kind of careless
Im just a fool waiting on the wrong block.
I would have to say it's a little bit of both. You have to have a natural ability to a certain extent, like being able to at least hold a tune. Taking lessons will help hone those skills, teaching you proper breathing technique and support so that you can maximize your ability.
Quote by GeeGar
San Deigo?!

I think its a bit of both. It helps if you a born with the natural ability to carry a tune, but it is something that can be learnt.

Screaming isnt really singing is it? You dont need singing lessons if you just want to scream. If you do want to sing, i suppose it would be worth looking at lessons.

It's almost more necessry to have lessons if you want to scream because if you don't do it properly you can really mess up your voice. Just don't go to a classical teacher and ask to be taught screaming obviously.
don't let the forest grow over the path you came here by
You can learn to an extent - for example, not everyone has the innate ability to control their breath, sing in time, maintain volume, sing at the correct pitch, etc etc. These things can be taught, but like I said, only to an extent.

Lots of musical talent is something you learn as you're growing up - being sung to as a child helps develop your mind in such a way that you can recognise when something is offkey, and keep time when clapping, etc. You'd be amazed how many people can't do this (my mum is a singing teacher, I have experience!).

Obviously, it depends on your vocal cords, too. Not everyone has the same sound or lung capacity

And as for learning...intelligence has more to do with it than you'd think. You need to be able to recognise what you're doing and how to improve it. Some people just aren't capable of it.

But most people improve with tuition, to varying extents. Some people don't improve much, some make AMAZING improvements. Some people ARE just naturally good singers. Some people...just aren't, and won't be no matter how much they're taught.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
You're born with the voice, but you can train the range and "strenght" of it.