I know this is not supposed to be spoken about, so if anyone has a problem with it, please raise it here before reporting.

Does anyone know if there is anywhere you can download the source tracks for popular songs? I'd love to do some remixing, just for personal enjoyment, and these would be great to have. I know there are some NIN ones available, and Radiohead. I've also done a couple of Beastie Boys ones of their official site.

I'm obviously aware that record companies don't release these willy nilly, but I find it hard to believe that any of these don't get leaked onto the internet on a semi regular basis.
There is poetry in despair.
I do actually!! Its Guitar hero rips.... so its not heaps mixing.... but ill see if i can find it.

http://www.fretsonfire.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=29158&start=45&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

PM me for the other links (the poster who uploaded it didn't want it spread around to heaps of people)
Awesome. But do they require any mixing?

I mean. Logically, why would they need any if its a rip from a commercial release?
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Interesting. No these are not the original artist tracks in GH, those are probably in a vault somewhere, but they are still professionally done versions like a good quality karoke.

I looked at Sweet Home Alabama using Mixcraft. It has quite a lot of bleed through though so you can't do a lot of mixing, but you can still eliminate most of the drums, lead guitar, or vocals. It had the lead vocal, rythm guitar, and piano in one track. Personally I did not think the guitar solos were very accurate, but still well done.
Quote by ozarkracer
Interesting. No these are not the original artist tracks in GH, those are probably in a vault somewhere, but they are still professionally done versions like a good quality karoke.

I looked at Sweet Home Alabama using Mixcraft. It has quite a lot of bleed through though so you can't do a lot of mixing, but you can still eliminate most of the drums, lead guitar, or vocals. It had the lead vocal, rythm guitar, and piano in one track. Personally I did not think the guitar solos were very accurate, but still well done.

They are real...

Sweet home alabama is a live version, thats why it sounds different.

Try the BRMC track or the muse one. Real as real gets.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Well, you are right, I had just listened to guitar solo part of SHA and it did not sound like signature solos. Too bad, cause that is what I mostly wanted it for and the live explains a lot of the bleedthrough.

I wonder if (when) laywers will get tangled up in this or not, but if they started to provide quality multi-tracks like this that would nice. But mostly likely they will try and stop it somehow, but that could kill also the game.
The Bohemian Rhapsody 24tracks and some of the Sgt Peppers album 4tracks are out there.
I wanted to mention this too as its very related to this. See this article about Metallica.

It amazing the record companies have decided to use the the same excessive compression techniques that commericals have been using to "be louder". So when you hear people talking about how bad an MP3 is compared to an original studio version, you realize its maybe not so bad and might even be better mix because the studios don't care about the music anymore.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/guitar-hero-metallica-death-magnetic,news-29207.html
Its called mastering and its a shame that people feel the need to have the biggest loudest record out there.

Dynamics go to hell in the mastering stage. Don't blame the studios coz they don't like it any more than most do, but before mastering songs are like half the volume... maybe 2/3s.
Quote by willieturnip
Awesome. But do they require any mixing?

I mean. Logically, why would they need any if its a rip from a commercial release?

They wouldn't need mixing. I want them for remixing lol.
the awesome search engine google might help you if your were to search for.. say.. multitrack? and mix in some form of popular way of downloading stuff. starting with a t.
I'm not an idiot. I obviously did that. I doesn't yield the results that I thought it would.
I didn't mean to insult you in any way, sorry if you read it that way.

my point was mearly to point it out. and I think it's the best way to find stuff like this. not only for you but for other people (idiots) who read this and wonder the same thing.
Also forgot to mention........ Radiohead put out some remix stems from their last album on Itunes. They had a remix contest for their singles on the last album.
Oh yeah also, just to add. I didn't find these from a search engine, i'd seen them before and even then i had to do some serious digging to find the links, so it wasnt just a quick google away.
Yeah, like I said, the google results didn't really find me much, nor did my search of a few torrent sites. Thanks again! Some of them sound really weird when you isolate some of the tracks lol.
the only ones I know of are a couple by radiohead and quite a few by NIN, but with the radiohead ones, they had already been pre-mixed and bounced down into stems with all of the effects already added, so there wasn't really much to do with them.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?