So yesterday, I went to Berklee to compete in the annual High School Jazz Band Festival. Needless to say, it was pretty cool. We weren't supposed to go to the college, but a few friends of mine and myself were to curious about the college to stay inside and watch other bands play. So we went across the street and actually got on a tour of the campus. All I can say is, holy ****. They have probably the coolest campus with the studios and libraries of CD's and DVD's, practice rooms, ensemble rooms. It's just great. The tour guide was telling us all about scholarships and stuff like that. I'm only a sophomore in high school and don't have a job yet (I just turned 16, but I'm working on getting a job), so could I start trying to apply for scholarships now? There was one where you send in a recording of yourself playing, and sheet music for all the parts in the song and you could get an $8,000 scholarship which I think is pretty good. The tour guide also said that she recommends piling scholarships on scholarships to cut down on tuition. When I got home I looked in the booklet I got and the tuition is somewhere around $30,000 a semester. My family is definitely not financially secure and I'm just really overwhelmed by how good the school is and stuff, and how inspired I was to go there, and now it's the money that keeps me back. I'm going to definitely work harder in school so I can possibly get academic scholarships but it all is just overwhelming.

TL;DR- Berklee is really awesome, but it's really expensive. I don't have a job yet (sophomore in high school), overwhelmed by how inspiring the school is, but also by the chance of not getting in. Can I start applying for scholarships now? How many of you have applied for Berklee and gotten in or not?
You can do the online courses and it's a hell of a lot cheaper. I'm doing that now, the only problem is finding a quiet place to practice and record. (at least for me) Anyway, got to www.berkleemusic.com and check it out. For a certificate, you pay $1,200 every class. (Every 3 months.)
"Ignorance runs rampant through this virus we call life, dead one day, alive the next, never breaking a stride. As I take it all in and realize, nothing we do can stop it, I release the hatred from my eyes, only to feel it within."
I'm a 2nd semester student at Berklee. If you're a domestic student you can get a fair amount of financial aid. You get considered for scholarships during your audition.

Edit: it's not $30,000 per semester. Tuition and small fees total up to about $14,000. It's also much cheaper to live off campus nearby, so you don't necessarily have to consider the $8000 dorm fee.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Feb 1, 2009,
Quote by Xiaoxi
I'm a 2nd semester student at Berklee. If you're a domestic student you can get a fair amount of financial aid. You get considered for scholarships during your audition.

Yeah, I only live about an hour away from Boston so it's close by. What exactly do you audition? What kind of music do you perform for them?

And to the first poster, I think I want to move away from the town I'm in. I kind of want to have the college experience, and the music scene in my town consists of Lil Wayne records and bands like the Maine and that synth pop stuff.
i wuz there 2 summers ago for a saxaphone weekend. the college is FANFRIGGINTASTIC! it was quite the experience.
Quote by guitarkid2113
Yeah, I only live about an hour away from Boston so it's close by. What exactly do you audition? What kind of music do you perform for them?

Most of this kind of question can be found on the website. www.berklee.edu

Also, if you live nearby and you like video games, please come see me play with Berklee's Video Game Orchestra in early March.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Feb 1, 2009,
they have scholarships, some of them cover the entire cost, i only got a partial one
but it covered the new laptop you have to buy
Quote by linnux
they have scholarships, some of them cover the entire cost, i only got a partial one
but it covered the new laptop you have to buy

Yeah, I thought that was pretty cool too! I love Mac's and the fact that they update your software every semester is nice.

I figure I'll just start taking more music classes at my school like theory and Music & Computers, and bump my grades up, get a job, and start saving I guess I'll be alright. I just was a bit overwhelmed, it's such a great school and I'm really excited.
yeah i was excited in high school too, your first semester here is pretty overwhelming, not really hard its just like "holy fuck I'm at Berklee"
you still have to take gen. ed. classes though
Quote by linnux
yeah i was excited in high school too, your first semester here is pretty overwhelming, not really hard its just like "holy fuck I'm at Berklee"

So are you already here? What semester are you? Major?

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by linnux

Yeah, I kinda figured that. What kind of math courses do you have to take? Cause once I'm a senior I'm going to be in Pre-Calculus and I really don't like math, so I don't want to have to take a calculus course in college. :/
Quote by guitarkid2113
Yeah, I kinda figured that. What kind of math courses do you have to take? Cause once I'm a senior I'm going to be in Pre-Calculus and I really don't like math, so I don't want to have to take a calculus course in college. :/

Take all the APs you can get.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Take all the APs you can get.

NOT THIS
sir, you are retarded

i didn't even take pre-calc senior year
you just take calc/pre calc English and one more class, i can't remember i spent most of that class very high
Quote by linnux
NOT THIS
sir, you are retarded

i didn't even take pre-calc senior year
you just take calc/pre calc English and one more class, i can't remember i spent most of that class very high

so high that you forgot Berklee credits almost every AP course so that you don't have to take the course again in gen. ed.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
so high that you forgot Berklee credits almost every AP course so that you don't have to take the course again in gen. ed.

you still have to take then gen ed courses, even if you took AP, this girl I've known since 4th grade was in All AP classes we ended up in the same English class
so :P
Quote by linnux
you still have to take then gen ed courses, even if you took AP, this girl I've known since 4th grade was in All AP classes we ended up in the same English class
so :P
Well then she failed. If you get a 3 or higher, your AP's are accredited. I already had 2/3 of all Gen Ed required courses covered for my majors during the second week of school of first semester.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by linnux
dude she was 4th in my class, pretty sure she passed
I don't know why you find it so hard to believe that AP's are credited. Just go to the Registrar in the Uchida building and ask them about it. You'll see that you're wrong.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana