Hey there, I own a Marshall vintage modern 100 watt head with matching cab, and its great. i love the tone and everything, but to achieve its best tone, i gotta crank the voume up. When i play smaller venues i have to turn down to adapt to the surroundings, and my tone suffers. I read up about these power brakers that allow the tubes to warm and wotever but be at low volume... (i'm totally out of my depth, i play thats it ha). Can anyone give me some guidance on this,
any help will be appreciated
Many Thanks
Tom

www.myspace.com/tvh01
A Power Brake is just a power attenuator, a box of gubbins thats allows you to max your amp but keep the true volume lower.

I'd recommend a Weber Mass because they are very good (i'm looking to get one myself) but you will have to get an attenuator rated at 200w, due to the wattage of the amp increasing with the more power being used by it.

Many people will say "ooo but it colours your true tone" but saying this, everything colours your tone! All you will really miss out on is maybe a little treble or bass, and the sound of a pushed speaker.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
does anyone have any experience with the marshall power brake, is it better to match marshall with marshall????
Quote by TVH11
does anyone have any experience with the marshall power brake, is it better to match marshall with marshall????

...lol....matching an attenuator brand with the head you're using it on doesn't magically change the performance of either unit.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by Chrisiphone
A Power Brake is just a power attenuator, a box of gubbins thats allows you to max your amp but keep the true volume lower.

I'd recommend a Weber Mass because they are very good (i'm looking to get one myself) but you will have to get an attenuator rated at 200w, due to the wattage of the amp increasing with the more power being used by it.

Many people will say "ooo but it colours your true tone" but saying this, everything colours your tone! All you will really miss out on is maybe a little treble or bass, and the sound of a pushed speaker.

I was going to suggest a mass, great units for the price. They do color your tone and you need to ask yourself, how much am I gonna attenuate my sound? If it's only a little you should be good, if it's a lot it's usually just better to turn the master down or run a volume box in the fx loop. I have to attenuate my amp quite a bit and the tone suffers, that's why I'm gonna do a reamping rig.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not