How's it going gang!
My band recently completed 2 demo songs and I posted them across the internet on various music websites in order to attain a more diverse network of people. Now that I have music to send to people, I realize I have a multitude of options at my fingertips, and I want to work hard to get these promoted so many can hear them, including important music reps etc etc.

What should my band's next step be? an intense gigging campaign? Internet domination? Getting cards and stickers for networking?

Help a kid out here

PS- If anyone is interested in hearing the demos please check www.myspace.com/electricreligionlive live or just check the Mp3s on my profile.

EDIT: Oh CRAP!
FIXED!
I just Rembered That there is a user who happens to have the website url of myspace.com/electricreligion and Is an extremely disgusting page. Thank you for alerting me guys.
Last edited by Highwaytohell at Feb 1, 2009,
Don't click the link in the first post! That's not the right link - there are some very disturbing pictures in that one. Just don't click on it. If you want to hear his music click on the link in his signature.

OP, I'd recommend you quickly fix the link in this post.
Last edited by shortyafter at Feb 1, 2009,
I just emailed myspace about it requesting to take that user's page off. I do not want my fans exposed to that crap
Haha thats really **** dude.

And you we're going to record an album? wow...
Oh, geez.... curiosity killed the cat....

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Where did you record this? The reason I ask is that, if you can arrange it, *insist* on a remix. This was either mixed by the singer himself, or by someone who is half deaf. (or by someone without a proper pair of monitors)

From what I can tell, the instruments sound more or less fine. The vocals, though.... wow... the mix on those is something else.... First, they completely dominate the mix. Oh, sure, you want the vocals to stand out such that they don't get obliterated by the drums and guitars and stuff, but they are SO loud that they're like the only thing you hear when they come in. Second, the FX on the vocals are right out of the park. Holy crow... just.... something else. The frustrating part is that the performances themselves -vocals included - are basically fine. It's just that mix... sheesh.

So, step 1 - demand a remix. Request someone who can hear this time.

Now, from an A+R perspective, they will listen to the first 15 seconds. If they see potential, they'll keep listening to 30 seconds. At that point, they decide if they want to invest another 3 minutes of their lives they'll never get back listening to the rest of the song (in other words, if they figure they just might be able to make money off it, it will be worth their time). I Can't Stand it has more promise than Stephanie in that department. In the first 15 seconds, you get that Jerry Lee Lewis kind of vocal with a bit of a hooky line that might get them to keep listening.

Stephanie sees absolutely nothing happening in the first 30 seconds. "Next!" Can you maybe edit the intro to Stephanie, even cutting and pasting a lick or two from the chorus to go at the beginning to announce that something really great is coming?

If it was done digitally, this could be a cinch.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by axemanchris
Where did you record this? The reason I ask is that, if you can arrange it, *insist* on a remix. This was either mixed by the singer himself, or by someone who is half deaf. (or by someone without a proper pair of monitors)

From what I can tell, the instruments sound more or less fine. The vocals, though.... wow... the mix on those is something else.... First, they completely dominate the mix. Oh, sure, you want the vocals to stand out such that they don't get obliterated by the drums and guitars and stuff, but they are SO loud that they're like the only thing you hear when they come in. Second, the FX on the vocals are right out of the park. Holy crow... just.... something else. The frustrating part is that the performances themselves -vocals included - are basically fine. It's just that mix... sheesh.

So, step 1 - demand a remix. Request someone who can hear this time.

Now, from an A+R perspective, they will listen to the first 15 seconds. If they see potential, they'll keep listening to 30 seconds. At that point, they decide if they want to invest another 3 minutes of their lives they'll never get back listening to the rest of the song (in other words, if they figure they just might be able to make money off it, it will be worth their time). I Can't Stand it has more promise than Stephanie in that department. In the first 15 seconds, you get that Jerry Lee Lewis kind of vocal with a bit of a hooky line that might get them to keep listening.

Stephanie sees absolutely nothing happening in the first 30 seconds. "Next!" Can you maybe edit the intro to Stephanie, even cutting and pasting a lick or two from the chorus to go at the beginning to announce that something really great is coming?

If it was done digitally, this could be a cinch.

CT

ahahah Ct you get me everytime!

This was not done in a studio. These are our band's home demos

I mixed them. Keep in mind this is my first time working with recorded material so I've yet to develop producer's ears, I'm just a kid
We recorded this using a fostex VF80 8 track, some low-end drum mics into a mixer which fed into the VF80 and I put an Sm57 at a perpendicular angle to the speaker cone and had an EV1777A at a distance for ambience on the guitar. Bass was done mainly direct in.
I don't have high-quality mic preamps or digital interfaces. I have what I have. The fostex does, allow me to output a CD containing each individual track for editing using Adobe Audition.
I do not have nice speaker monitors

I do admit to being a reverb *****. I effected the everloving hell out of those vocals on stephanie.
What do you reccomend I really do for the mix as I'm only a beginner and I really need some help in this department?
When you say cut or paste a lick or 2 from the chorus to put into the intro do you mean the Melody line? or do you mean the guitar?
Last edited by Highwaytohell at Feb 1, 2009,
Ok I tampered with the vocals and added another guitar layer in the intro.
Keep In mind that these songs are kind of meant to get our music out there because we have otherwise no songs to send to venues promoters etc etc. We as a band have some great studio connections and are not afraid to use them when the time comes.
Quote by Highwaytohell

This was not done in a studio. These are our band's home demos

We recorded this using a fostex VF80 8 track, some low-end drum mics into a mixer which fed into the VF80 and I put an Sm57 at a perpendicular angle to the speaker cone and had an EV1777A at a distance for ambience on the guitar. Bass was done mainly direct in.
I don't have high-quality mic preamps or digital interfaces. I have what I have. The fostex does, allow me to output a CD containing each individual track for editing using Adobe Audition.

This part was all fine. The tones on the instruments was fine. Particularly for a group of, in your words, kids. I had no issues with any of that at this point. In fact, you did well at the hardest part of the whole project.

Quote by Highwaytohell

Keep in mind this is my first time working with recorded material so I've yet to develop producer's ears, I'm just a kid

That's not the source of your problem. At least not near as much as....

Quote by Highwaytohell

I do not have nice speaker monitors

Now *this* is a major issue. See if you can rent a pair for a weekend. Should be pretty cheap. You'll be amazed at what you start to hear.

Quote by Highwaytohell

I do admit to being a reverb *****. I effected the everloving hell out of those vocals on stephanie.
What do you reccomend I really do for the mix as I'm only a beginner and I really need some help in this department?

First, as a singer, especially for one who might not be really secure with their abilities, it is natural to try to bury the vocal somehow. Most of us make the mistake of burying them under the instruments so you can barely hear the vocals. Your mistake was burying the vocals in FX. Just go easy. Go for a more natural sound, and find the spot where it just sits. Bring the fader up to a point where you can hear the vocal nice and clear, and then STOP!!

Listen to the vocal on its own. If it sounds really unnatural that way, it's too much. That said, once the vocal is in the mix, you will notice these FX less. That's okay.... you want it to sound (usually) natural.

CT

Thanks chris, always a big help. I took a fair amount of reverb off the vocals, and used only some doubling for the chorus to give it sort of a standing out point (rather than all the echo and phasing I had in place before). I kept the wash out at the end becuase despite what anyone says I like how it sort of crashes like that-
I will definitely try to pick up some good monitors as soon as I can.
First I gotta pickup a pedalboard, monitors are second... god its a whole list !

Any more suggestions of what to do with these recordings now?
Holy cow! I can't believe how much better that is!

Stephanie is getting to be a really decent mix now, and the vocals sound SO much better. Only quibble now for the moment is that I want the drums to be a bit more aggressive in the mix. (oops... backing vox are a bit loud around 2:45)

If you're compressing the drums, try compressing them a little less, and then turning up the fader on the channel so you wind up driving the compressor a little harder with a stronger signal. You'll get more beef, and more level, but you'll still get that nice, tight, compressed drum sound. As it is, they're either too quiet, or overcompressed, or both. The guitars are competing with each other at the beginning of the solo. Simplify one of the parts to let the other one shine.

I can't stand it - still bring the vox level down a bit. If it was a mainstream poppy song like an American Idol thing, you'd be okay, but these are rock tunes. You'll still stepping on the instruments. Same critique on the drums there as above.

I'm digging a lot of the guitar playing. The bass player has some decent chops and some nice lines and licks, but his timing is a bit off in places. Only real fix there is re-tracking/punch-ins. It's hard to critique the drums that much because they're really subdued in the mix, and for a rock tune, you want them to really carry the rhythm section - especially in light of a bass player with the odd timing issue. From what I can tell, though, he's pretty tight.

CT

Quote by axemanchris
Holy cow! I can't believe how much better that is!

Stephanie is getting to be a really decent mix now, and the vocals sound SO much better. Only quibble now for the moment is that I want the drums to be a bit more aggressive in the mix. (oops... backing vox are a bit loud around 2:45)

If you're compressing the drums, try compressing them a little less, and then turning up the fader on the channel so you wind up driving the compressor a little harder with a stronger signal. You'll get more beef, and more level, but you'll still get that nice, tight, compressed drum sound. As it is, they're either too quiet, or overcompressed, or both. The guitars are competing with each other at the beginning of the solo. Simplify one of the parts to let the other one shine.

I can't stand it - still bring the vox level down a bit. If it was a mainstream poppy song like an American Idol thing, you'd be okay, but these are rock tunes. You'll still stepping on the instruments. Same critique on the drums there as above.

I'm digging a lot of the guitar playing. The bass player has some decent chops and some nice lines and licks, but his timing is a bit off in places. Only real fix there is re-tracking/punch-ins. It's hard to critique the drums that much because they're really subdued in the mix, and for a rock tune, you want them to really carry the rhythm section - especially in light of a bass player with the odd timing issue. From what I can tell, though, he's pretty tight.

CT

Thanks CT. I'll continue to clean it up. I did compress the drums a bit. The Bass playing was actually done by me because we are just transitioning into a new bassist, so thats why it's off timing, I'm not really a bassist so I dont know how to get into the pocket like one. Next time we record I'm going to try to do bass and drums at the same time just to really heat up and get it in the pocket.

As far as the stephanie mix goes, I'll look into the drums as I said, and take the backing vox down a hair. The guitar solo thing, personally, I like it the way it is. I like the whole double tracked dueling guitar thing ala randy rhoads.
To an extent, one has to account for personal preferance, we must remember that.