My amp doesn't have built-in reverb so I'm thinking about dealy/reverb pedal for some tonal variety. unluckily the amp doesn't have fx loop as well so I'll have to plug the pedal to the input. any one please tell me its pros & cons when I use the pedal with amp's distortion? and what pedal should I choose for this particular situation?
Well it's not going to sound as great as it possibly could, but it will still work. I'm guessing that you're on a budget, so I'd recommend any Boss reverb, I think they have one call a RV-5 or something like that, and they work fairly well. If you want delay, a Boss DD-3 is a really great little pedal, and they hold their value too. One tip: DO NOT buy the TC Nova Reverb: that pedal absolutely needs to be used in an effects loop.
The only real con is that the delays might end up distorted, but I've been running my DD-20 before my amp since I've had it and I've never had trouble getting a good sound out of it.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
look at the Line 6 Verbzilla
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
I've been wondering about this too.

Quote by SSL27
The only real con is that the delays might end up distorted, but I've been running my DD-20 before my amp since I've had it and I've never had trouble getting a good sound out of it.
Here's my confusion: Wouldn't the delays be distorted anyway? Even if the pedal was in an effects loop? Since I don't have a delay pedal yet, or an amp with an effects loop, I can't test it out to compare the difference. But how different could the two set-ups possibly sound? If the amp distortion is going into the pedal (via effects loop), the delays will be distorted. Or alternatively, if the dry signal is going into the pedal, you're getting clean delay repeats, and then amp distortion over top the whole thing? Won't those two scenarios cause pretty much the same sound? If not, please explain.

So confused. :|
Quote by FixingaHole

Here's my confusion: Wouldn't the delays be distorted anyway? Even if the pedal was in an effects loop? Since I don't have a delay pedal yet, or an amp with an effects loop, I can't test it out to compare the difference. But how different could the two set-ups possibly sound? If the amp distortion is going into the pedal (via effects loop), the delays will be distorted. Or alternatively, if the dry signal is going into the pedal, you're getting clean delay repeats, and then amp distortion over top the whole thing? Won't those two scenarios cause pretty much the same sound? If not, please explain.

well, thats not really the best way to think of it. just think of it as the delay's gonna be muddier in front of the amp
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Basically, infront of the amp, the delays will be distorted, as opposed to the distortion being delayed, which would happen in an FX loop. I've been running my Deluxe Memory Man, MXR Commande Flanger and Small Stone through my amp and I don't really mind, though it is a bit muddy.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Last edited by rhcp_freak at Feb 1, 2009,
thanks guys. however there's this guy teeling me that an analog delay pedal creates better sound than a digital delay does when running to the front of teh amp. is that true? I've never tried out any analog ones so I have no idea 'bout it
Quote by FixingaHole

they only would be distorted if you'd crank the amp to get poweramp distortion. with new amps, most distortion is generated in the preamp section and in that case, you wouldn't get any distortion on the delays since the pedal is inserted after the preamp.

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009