I need a little advice from some of you seasoned pro's.

I've been playing for around 7 years now. Self taught, only took lessons for a month and they sucked.

I'm your typical tab junkie, can play hand fulls of songs, and can get a few compliments when at my local guitar shop. My only problem..........

I know next to nothing. Of course I know what a guitar does, its parts, etc. And I know my basic chord scale, but when it comes to the specifics like E minors or other technical crap, I'm lost. I can play Strapping Young Lad one handed and I warm up with Lamb of God, but I couldn't tell you what a G Major is to save my life. Hell I dunno if that even exists, hahaha.

So where do I start. Do I go back to square one, or what? I've tried doing that before but to me it gets boring really REALLY fast because its not challenging.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR - Black
Epiphone Les Paul Goth - Customized
ESP AX-250 - Customized
Lotus Strat (mock) - Rare
Ibanez V280

Amps:
Randall Mini Stack - Vintage
Line 6 Spider III 120
Several smaller amps

Music:
Metal - All forms
Lol I love how you refer to E Minor as technical crap.

Buy a book. That's the best thing to do if you don't want to take lessons.
Tonight, we stagger out from the basement...

I'm sick of not having the courage to be an absolute nobody.

...Or fall to our deaths from above
^your avatar is ftw (the guy with the stabby penor xD
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
I don't see how this is a problem. I guess if you want to write music, but you can write music without knowing music theory.
Quote by acidrockgreen
+1

learn your theory, playing a bunch of tabs does not make you a good guitarist.

Funny, because these books will teach him theory in standard notation and in tab form
Last edited by metaldud536 at Feb 1, 2009,
Quote by Bamitchell
Lol I love how you refer to E Minor as technical crap.

my thoughts exactly!

And yeah theory books, GO!

Small writing in the middle of big sig.

Quote by metaldud536
I don't see how this is a problem. I guess if you want to write music, but you can write music without knowing music theory.

Please, TS, for the sake of any one you know, DON'T make songs without any music theory knowledge at all. You may be able to make 2-3 songs that don't sound half bad, but other than that it'll be suckish.

Quote by acidrockgreen
+1

learn your theory, playing a bunch of tabs does not make you a good guitarist.

Exactly, that's why I was wondering where to start.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR - Black
ESP AX-250 - Customized
Ibanez V280

Amps:
Line 6 Spider III 120
Several smaller amps

Music:
Metal - All forms
go to musicians talk forum, there's more knoledgeable people there about your problem than in the pit. this forum is for "general discussion", theory and stuff is covered in musician talk.
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Quote by Sudaka
go to musicians talk forum, there's more knoledgeable people there about your problem than in the pit. this forum is for "general discussion", theory and stuff is covered in musician talk.

Ah, gotcha.

Thanks for the help so far guys.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR - Black
ESP AX-250 - Customized
Ibanez V280

Amps:
Line 6 Spider III 120
Several smaller amps

Music:
Metal - All forms
Quote by Bamitchell
Please, TS, for the sake of any one you know, DON'T make songs without any music theory knowledge at all. You may be able to make 2-3 songs that don't sound half bad, but other than that it'll be suckish.

I don't know theory at all and I've recorded many good songs, and been complemented by various musicians...The only thing I can see theory being helpful in is when your asked about something and you can answer it without sounding like a fool.
Music is played from the soul not from a guitar theory 101 book. I highly doubt many a great bands out there and great guitarists alike consulted there handy dandy theory book while making songs. I'm sure it helps to understand theory but I don't think it is a MUST HAVE for all guitarists out there.

I can see it now, Hendrix bent over his Theory 101 book trying to write Purple Haze, hahahaha
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR - Black
ESP AX-250 - Customized
Ibanez V280

Amps:
Line 6 Spider III 120
Several smaller amps

Music:
Metal - All forms
Music Theory is more important than most of you guys are pointing out. I knew some people who were in a band together. Neither of them knew any music theory. This was the result.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQzee7p0mvg&feature=channel_page

Quote by Bamitchell
Music Theory is more important than most of you guys are pointing out. I knew some people who were in a band together. Neither of them knew any music theory. This was the result.

Hahaha, nothing like the good ole days of middle school bands.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR - Black
ESP AX-250 - Customized
Ibanez V280

Amps:
Line 6 Spider III 120
Several smaller amps

Music:
Metal - All forms
Quote by Bamitchell

Of course, music theory would've helped them write more original things but like I said it's not necessary to know.

Though one of the greatest things music theory can give you IMO is the ability to write music without having to play an instrument while you write it like in Amadeus when Mozart is in his bed telling Salieri what to write. Cool stuff meng.
Quote by metaldud536
Of course, music theory would've helped them write more original things but like I said it's not necessary to know.

Though one of the greatest things music theory can give you IMO is the ability to write music without having to play an instrument while you write it like in Amadeus when Mozart is in his bed telling Salieri what to write. Cool stuff meng.

+1

You can read 101 books on racing cars all you want but that doesn't make you a damn good driver.

It helps to know music theory and I'll def. Get me a 101 book next time Im at the shop, but I don't think its the "end all" answer. Then again, I don't really know what answer Im lookin for, just a little direction I guess.

Thanks again for the input guys.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR - Black
ESP AX-250 - Customized
Ibanez V280

Amps:
Line 6 Spider III 120
Several smaller amps

Music: