Basically i'm tired of playing through my ridiculously digital line 6 spider III
and am looking on to buying a half stack
My budget is around £600
however i am happy to purchase cabs second hand

i play a variety of genres so it needs to be quite versatile however high gain capability is very important

any recommendations??
Last edited by superfish123 at Feb 1, 2009,
Go for a tube combo in that price range, unless you find a great deal on a head and cab, a combo is going to be a much better choice in terms of sound quality.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I've made that mistake already. Do not get a cheap solid state half stack. You would be way better of with a tube combo of some variety. I used to have a 120 watt SS crate, and I feel incredibly stupid for it. My valveking has waaay better sound quality and gets just as loud, and that is not exactly a top of the line tube amp.

EDIT: if distortion is your thing, get a better tube amp and skip the distortion pedal for now. For the most part, solid state distortion is garbage.
Last edited by what?? at Feb 1, 2009,
save up 100 usd and buy a peavey 112 valve king or save up more and but the 212. te 212 is fVcking loud on 3
thankyou for you advice
if i could get the peavey valveking cab for cheap would it be a good idea?
i don't mind getting it in installments
then my budget pretty much doubles
what are you going to be using it for (practice, small gigs, large gigs)?
I think that a 100W tube combo would suit you, but if you are set on getting a stack I can understand. It looks quite a bit cooler to have a half-stack onstage compared to a combo. Unfortunately, i don't really know enough about them to be giving advice on which ones are better than others.
i may have found my answer
Peavey valveking 112
the peavey valveking 4x12 cab
Boss ml2
any problems there?
Quote by superfish123
Peavey valveking 112
Boss ml2
any problems there?

Wait, why a combo on top of the 4x12? Plus, the VK 4x12 is pretty shoddy.

What "high gain applications" are you referring to? what type of metal do you play?
You could probably find something a lot better for the price.

*Why are you going to use a pedal for distortion when you could probably find an amp with the sound you're looking for...?
Quote by superfish123
Peavey valveking 112
Boss ml2
any problems there?

Is all of that within your budget?
We have a VK cab sitting here, it's kind of... "meh." Not sure you'd want to pay all of that for cabinets that suck, you could just as easily spend half the price on a Shure SM57 and a small mic stand and boom, you have as much volume as you want from just your combo.
I would hold off on the ml-2. If it's an option, head over to a local music store and plug into a valveking and see how much gain you can get out of it. If it is relatively empty there, crank the volume too. It might be enough to satisfy you.

EDIT: I have heard good things about the B-52s. I haven't played one but i hear that they are slightly less versatile than valvekings, but they make up for it by having better distortion.
Last edited by what?? at Feb 1, 2009,
I'm pretty set on a halfstack
and my line 6 spider gives out enough distortion
im looking for a halfstack which is a good base for a the ml2
preferably tube?

ignore alot of what i previously said
if it helps i play metal from classic 80's to modern thrash, stuff like trivium but also some of the more metal core styles- as i lay dying, atreyu
so obviously high amounts of distortion
Quote by DaddyBarbs
nah- you should just get

http://www.guitarcenter.com/B-52-AT-112-60-Watt-1x12--Tube-Combo-Amp-103733606-i1170731.gc

and maybe a bad monkey OD- don't bother with a cab or the distortion pedal

You do realize he's in the UK right?

Quote by superfish123
I'm pretty set on a halfstack
and my line 6 spider gives out enough distortion
im looking for a halfstack which is a good base for a the ml2
preferably tube?

It's nice that you're set on a halfstack, but in that price range, I seriously doubt you'll find anything too great. Laney is probably your best bet though, don't even bother with a distortion pedal, especially a Boss.

Quote by o0 Jack 0o
our guitarist manages to get a Marshall MG 100w head with a fender cab for that price range, and it sounds really good. I think you can get them both in that price range without the deal that the music shop he got it from was doing.

Fixed. And bad idea, those amps sound horrible, especially for the price.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Feb 1, 2009,
our guitarist manages to get a marshall mb 100w head with a fender cab for that price range, and it sounds really good. I think you can get them both in that price range without the deal that the music shop he got it from was doing.
oh btw should inform you price range has increase
(had a chat with the old daddy

aorund £600 ish now
Quote by o0 Jack 0o
our guitarist manages to get a marshall mb 100w head with a fender cab for that price range, and it sounds really good. I think you can get them both in that price range without the deal that the music shop he got it from was doing.

Did you just recommend a Marshall MG head and some crappy fender cab when this guy has £300-400?