Anyone here doing GCSE music?

My teacher wants us to start choosing our songs that we're gonna perform/study, I have a couple in mind. Ive picked some from different genres/difficulties. We also have to pick two other songs from the same style ans then compose a pice at the end using idea from the three.

So far I have... (these are the ones I would be performing)

Sir Duke - Stevie Wonder
RnB/Soul
Quite hard, although I could play it through with practice
Not as knowledgable on the genre, would be difficualt for me to compose a song like this due to little knowledge of keys/horns etc

Battlestar Scralatchtica - Incubus
Modern Rock
Can nearly play at full speed, easier than Sir Duke
Not exactly a conentional song, if I did this I may choose a Muse song or Radiohead or something

*Something by Cream or Jimi Hendrix Experience or similar*
Physcadelic Rock/Blues Rock
Know quite a lot about the genre, would be easiest to compose
Generally simpler lines than the other genres w/ exceptions

Imma bring in some sheet music for my teacher tomorrow to see what she thinks is the best for me. Any ideas or comments about that^
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
I'm doing it. You have made some good choices. I'm not sure what course your doing, but in mine we have to do 1 solo and 1 ensemble, so if I were you I'd choose a good backing melody and a groovy solo song. However, I chose saxophone over bass so I'm not all that sure tbh. If you do a pshychadelic rock song, it will show your audience how to make an unusual bassline fit with the music. So, if I were you, I'd go with the Jimi Hendrix/Cream song.

As for composition, I'm sure its a little more complicated than just the bassline. At my school we were told we had to arrange all the instruments using a keyboard, a computer programme (i.e. Sybelius, Guitar Pro, Power Tab etc.) or the recording studio. I'd go for RnB/Soul for this. It's much easier to compose and play when you get round to it.

But yeah, it's all up to you. As I say, I did Jazz on a saxophone, so my opinions may not suit your ideas. See what your teacher says.
Last edited by Led Pepplin at Feb 1, 2009,
Tahnks for the response.

I dont think doing rnb would be easy to compose for me, as I said I dont know very much about keys etc that are quite important in that type of music.

Ive decided that if I were to do the Blues rock option I'd do Badge by Cream. Ive downloaded the powertabs on here but Im not sure wether the fills in the guitar solo are right, it sounds different to the bass in the song.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
im doing GCSE music though im not sure on the exam board, like Led Pepplin i only have to do a solo and an ensemble piece, i personally think that its easiest to stick in your comfort zone, pick something hard enough to get a high mark but make sure its a genre you know well (this makes it easier for the composition)
Quote by 4 strings
im doing GCSE music though im not sure on the exam board, like Led Pepplin i only have to do a solo and an ensemble piece, i personally think that its easiest to stick in your comfort zone, pick something hard enough to get a high mark but make sure its a genre you know well (this makes it easier for the composition)

Yeah thats what we are doing, our teacher wants us to do the solo this year.
Quote by guitarhero_764

Second Idea: as a thought could you approach this from the reverse? i personally find it easier to learn a song than compose so wouldnt it be better (if possible?) to do it backwards make the composition then do a song to fit the genre? this gives you more flexibilty with composing

are composition doesnt have to be related to our solo piece
Quote by ScottB.
Yeah thats what we are doing, our teacher wants us to do the solo this year.

Yeah, same here. If your good at bass you should really show off and pick something others would assume as relatively difficult. Remember to bare in mind your audience. You can pick up easy marks if the examiner loves the playing and recognises the song. So it might be a good idea to choose a popular song. One that everybody loves.
Quote by Led Pepplin
Yeah, same here. If your good at bass you should really show off and pick something others would assume as relatively difficult. Remember to bare in mind your audience. You can pick up easy marks if the examiner loves the playing and recognises the song. So it might be a good idea to choose a popular song. One that everybody loves.

i did that i played hysteria in a mock, our teacher is classically orientated and was like OMG fast bass! have an A*
Quote by 4 strings
Second Idea: as a thought could you approach this from the reverse? i personally find it easier to learn a song than compose so wouldnt it be better (if possible?) to do it backwards make the composition then do a song to fit the genre? this gives you more flexibilty with composing

are composition doesnt have to be related to our solo piece

Ours works like this...

We have to choose three songs, all of the same style; talk about them(i think), perform one of them and then compose a song in the style of the three songs.

I think Imma do blues rock, simply because it's the genre I'll find easiest to compose
Quote by Led Pepplin

If I was to do that approach, Id perform Sir Duke, its by far the most impressive of the three
Quote by guitarhero_764

Last edited by ScottB. at Feb 1, 2009,
Quote by ScottB.
Ours works like this...

We have to choose three songs, all of the same style; talk about them(i think), perform one of them and then compose a song in the style of the three songs.

I think Imma do blues rock, simply because it's the genre I'll find easiest to compose

All of the same style? That's weird. Our exam board is a lot more flexible. Then again, it might make the course easier to handle.
Lets see im presuming that the gcse's are your first set of major exams, the equivalent to my junior cert. Wwll im going to say its not nessicarily about the songs but more about how well you play thwm and your performance. Choice a difficult piece and play it mediocre meh. Choice an easy piece, play it perfect, full marks. Yet yours is more complicated, i had 4 pieces to play. Two on bass, two on trumpet is what i went for. I performed, america and Henry purcells trumpet tune. On bass i performed "Shes only 18" and "Antipop". I then choice to be given a piece that i had to improvise on, i.e i was givin the first couple of bars and had to finish it. there were other little songs.

I can play harder songs but i chose to go with things i was comfortable with. Hope this helps abit.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I played Highway Star - Deep Purple and I can't remember my other perfomance track, and I got an A in the mock, and B overall in the final. That's not a very hard song IMO, even back then when I was pretty new to bass, so don't worry about finding the hardest song you can find, find one you can play very well instead.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
i got into uni by playing sir duke, so you should be more than ok with that for gcse music
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
I got an A* in my GCSE. For my performances, I did Holiday by Greenday on guitar, including solo, which was basically the easiest thing in the world. Then for solo I did Metro by System of a Down, which is practically the same in terms of difficulty. You don't need to play anything epically hard to get a good mark when it comes to performance.

Most of the marks, IIRC, come from your 2 compositions (if you are doing the same exam board as I was..) which I bodged. One I threw together in about 5 minutes and the other I used a song I wrote for a band I was in at the time.

Overall, it was easier than I thought :p

And don't even think about the exam, if you listen in your lessons and know even the smallest bit about music theory, you'll ace it.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR <3
Quote by ScottB.
Tahnks for the response.

I dont think doing rnb would be easy to compose for me, as I said I dont know very much about keys etc that are quite important in that type of music.

Ive decided that if I were to do the Blues rock option I'd do Badge by Cream. Ive downloaded the powertabs on here but Im not sure wether the fills in the guitar solo are right, it sounds different to the bass in the song.

If your talking about key signatures, it isn't just RnB it's important in. They're important in any type of music and I'm pretty sure you need to know them to pass GCSE music.
Quote by Led Pepplin
If your talking about key signatures, it isn't just RnB it's important in. They're important in any type of music and I'm pretty sure you need to know them to pass GCSE music.

Na its not that, its just I wouldnt have a clue what to write for them
Quote by guitarhero_764