I'm looking for a telecaster style guitar that will work well with plenty of distortion. I'm saving up for a Jim Root telecaster and I need something to keep me going, as you can tell, I have a thing for telecasters.

So any ideas?
Use an SS tele. Very unique for metal, different and through high-gain amp, anything can sound brutal.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Feb 1, 2009,
A standard SS can do very well... Check out Wintersun for metal with a stock Tele.
If you're saving up for one guitar, buying another to tide you over isn't very smart. It'll be much wiser for you to just save that money and get the guitar you really want sooner.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
but the guitar I have at the minute has pretty much had it. And wether it'll last long enough untill I get the Jim Root is unlikely. Especially seeing as I've got a lot of gigs lined up this year
i say jiim root tele is fine, or look into the jackson dominion
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
Personally I don't like selling instruments, but you could save a bit, then pawn off your old guitar that's nearly had it, as well as some other stuff you don't need but could get cash for, and get what you really want.

You are paying more a sig guitar though.. but if it's what you really want, then do what you need to do to get it. You're a gigging musician, handle your biz.

PS i've heard the Schecter PT's are absolutely kickass. SuperRock II pickups are meant to be killer.
Jim Root Tele
John 5 Tele
MusicMan Axis
Schecter PT
Jackson Dominion
Custom style Tele (the wide range humbuckers aren't high output, but they're humbuckers, which is a start)
And of course, an ordinary Telecaster.

Most metal tone is in the amp.
I'd recommend looking into a Charvel SD style 2 guitar. They are built to last, have excellent playability and tone. I've heard less than stellar reviews of the Jim Root tele, so I'd encourage you to look into a Charvel before you get dead set on a fender.

http://www.drumcityguitarland.com/drumcitygl/stores/1/Charvel-2008-San-Dimas-Style-2-2H-Candy-Red-6-String-Electric-Guitar--P2160C465.aspx
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
I recommend a simple Fender MiM Standard Tele. That's what I have and I use it for metal. Here are my Tele's specs:

Maple neck
Black with black pickguard
SD Hot Rail bridge 'bucker
Stock neck single coil
Black DR strings
Tuned CGCFAD

These are around $400 new and can be found for $200-$300 used. (plus a new pickup)
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION