Sorry for the noob question, but are Les Pauls good for metal?
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Quote by lespaul#1
Sorry for the noob question, but are Les Pauls good for metal?

lol ... ofc they are, james hetfield uses em aswell as countless metal musicians
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
I was considering the Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Adam Jones (guitarist for tool not the football player) uses Les Pauls with a metallic spray that alters the sound of his guitars
Quote by darkcheef
Adam Jones (guitarist for tool not the football player) uses Les Pauls with a metallic spray that alters the sound of his guitars

he doesnt spray them though... its just the finish that gibson put on them at that time period. they discontinued it b/c the finish changed colors (greenish) and it altered the sound (which he likes) he cant just spray em w/ metallic spray and it automatically changes the sound. he said that if he could find more he would buy em, but he cant hah

Peavey 6505+
Les Paul Custom Silverburst

Tool 5/5/06
Tool 11/24/07
Tool 12/8/07
RHCP 4/28/07
RAtM 4/29/07
Black Label Society 3/7/09
Black Label Society 5/4/09
Metallica 12/7/09
Alice in Chains 2/8/10
Lamb of God 7/14/10
For metal, I'm probably buying a Les Paul.
Quote by chip46
Quote by lespaul#1

Yea thats a good choice, but it also depends on the amp... you could also go w/ a dean or a jackson.... cant go wrong there

Peavey 6505+

Tool 5/5/06
Tool 11/24/07
Tool 12/8/07
RHCP 4/28/07
RAtM 4/29/07
Metallica 12/7/09
Alice in Chains 2/8/10
Lamb of God 7/14/10
It'll be through a BFDR with a high gain OD pedal.
Quote by chip46
The ESP Eclipse and Ibanez ART are examples of more metal oriented Les Pauls; by all means look into those, But a normal LP will do absolutely fine. They were good enough for Rhoads, Hetfield and countless other metal musicians, after all.
Quote by GangsterLi
lol ... ofc they are, james hetfield uses em aswell as countless metal musicians

He does use a few LP's, but the majority of his guitars are ESP Signature Eclipse models

Quote by forty6and2
Yea thats a good choice, but it also depends on the amp... you could also go w/ a dean or a jackson.... cant go wrong there

To put Dean and Jackson in the same sentence as if they are equal is a vile, vile sin that should warrant a massive donkey punch
Ok, I'll consider all these. I'm still suprised my BFDR gets a good metal tone.
Quote by chip46
Quote by lespaul#1
Ok, I'll consider all these. I'm still suprised my BFDR gets a good metal tone.

Also... Black Label Society... Zakk Wylde uses a LP and it sounds pretty heavy...

Peavey 6505+

Tool 5/5/06
Tool 11/24/07
Tool 12/8/07
RHCP 4/28/07
RAtM 4/29/07
Metallica 12/7/09
Alice in Chains 2/8/10
Lamb of God 7/14/10
les pauls are cool if you like them. im not comfortable on them. i like jacksons check some out. but in the end yoiu can get a damn good metal tone out of a les paul, it comes down to what yer more comfortable with.
Quote by forty6and2
he doesnt spray them though... its just the finish that gibson put on them at that time period. they discontinued it b/c the finish changed colors (greenish) and it altered the sound (which he likes) he cant just spray em w/ metallic spray and it automatically changes the sound. he said that if he could find more he would buy em, but he cant hah

If i had a guitar that changed colors and altered the sound i would love that, I wonder what idiot discontinued that model.
Quote by darkcheef
If i had a guitar that changed colors and altered the sound i would love that, I wonder what idiot discontinued that model.

haha yea no kidding. the green is pretty apparent too. if you see some live pictures of him playing you can really see it. Also, hes on the cover of the new guitarworld and you can see the greenish tint...

Yea, adam jones is my favorite...

Peavey 6505+

Tool 5/5/06
Tool 11/24/07
Tool 12/8/07
RHCP 4/28/07
RAtM 4/29/07
Metallica 12/7/09
Alice in Chains 2/8/10
Lamb of God 7/14/10
Quote by forty6and2
Also... Black Label Society... Zakk Wylde uses a LP and it sounds pretty heavy...

I think it's the crushing overdrive on his Marshall that makes him heavy.

If you have a good amp, a LP can do metal perfectly fine.
gear

Epiphone SG-400
Agile AL-3100
Schecter Damien-7 (EMG 707 swap)
Peavey JSX Head
Peavey 412 Cab
Boss GT-10
Yamaha FG720S Acoustic
Quote by Demonazzz
I think it's the crushing overdrive on his Marshall that makes him heavy.

If you have a good amp, a LP can do metal perfectly fine.

True, and the EMG's dont hurt

Peavey 6505+

Tool 5/5/06
Tool 11/24/07
Tool 12/8/07
RHCP 4/28/07
RAtM 4/29/07
Metallica 12/7/09
Alice in Chains 2/8/10
Lamb of God 7/14/10
Ah LPs are brilliant for metal depending on what one you get (lets not start an epiphone - gibson argument though) but if its purely for metal ESP eclipse are pretty awesome, made for metal basically.
Les Pauls have a good sound for pretty much ANYTHING especially if you get a versatile wood. I pretty much call them the tool of all trades because if you get the right Les Paul model you can make a good sound for any music.

Studio editions = hell loads of emotion and versatility.
any guitar with humbuckers would be good for metal to be honest.

the more gain you use, then more tone from the actual guitar you're throwing out the window.

in the end it comes down to pickups and amp if you're going to dime your gain.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Ok, I'm guessing it'll sound good through my amp.
Quote by chip46
Yea, just have an amp with good distortion, etc.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Ok, with a Les Paul and my XXL Overdrive, it should sound sweet, from ACDC to All That Remains.
Quote by chip46
Quote by lespaul#1

good idea, i own that same guitar your looking at, and it ROCKS is graet for metal! the bridge pickup with volume at 10 and the tone at 7 1/2 through a metal master sounds great, ill have to put some sounds of me using it on my page someday
My Gear:
EspLtd ec-1000 ]
Epi Les Paul
dean avalanche (project guitar)
C.F. Martin/ Sigma DR-41
C.F. Martin CS-1 classical
Vox Valvetronix tonelab ST
C.F.Martin/ Sigma D-12
I'm looking at the Cherry Sunburst one, it seems better than most low end Gibsons.
Quote by chip46