okay my fingers hurt when ever i play my acoustic. i dont know is it my string are to hard or is it just me. the stings im using are elixar light
well im still new to guitars iv been playing for 1 week exact and my fingers hurt like hell at first, now i can barely feel my acoustics strings under my fingers lol... Acoustic strings are harder to press then electrics from what i hear... i would say you need to play the acoustic more and build up ur pain tolerance for it
I'm the noob that takes everyone as his teacher.

ESP LTD F50 in black

Pevey Vypyr 15 Amp
This really is just the matter of giving it some time.

When I first started on my acoustic my hands hurt like hell and my fingertips were cut to shreds, stick at it but don't over do it and soon you'll find it ok.
YellowGreenBlueRed

Quote by webbtje
You live in a ruler, the only child of trouser water (?); it's very fantastic, and salami!
Yeah. They hurt a lot at first. Just keep at it and you'll be fine. No pain, no gain.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
They hurt when you pick up the guitar at first, but after a week or two you should find it wont hurt that much.
You don't need anybody to tell you who you are or what you are. You are what you are!
- John Lennon

You either get tired fighting for peace, or you die.
- John Lennon
try rubbing lotion on your fingers when your done playing for the night and it might help a little, helps me
Suck it up and play its the only way to build up the caluses that will stop pain forever.
Also how many hours do you practice a day?
Hearing about a pair of great boobs is like hearing about a really cool bug or lizard as a kid and you just gotta see it.
Quote by cueva101
well ive been playing acoustic for months though

have they always hurt you or is this recent? try playing more often, if this doesnt work the caluses (sp?) may just be building up again sometimes they will wear down and need to build back up
If you have been playing for months, you might be playing too sporadically and not giving enough effort to build the callous. Also, usually people who've been playing for months would know by now that they have to build up a callous in order to get rid of the pain they feel on their fingers... How can you be playing for so long and ignoring the pain until now?
Mine took about 9 months to fully develop. What you're looking for is a soft callous, not a hard one. Lotion will probably help you develop that. Also, don't keep ripping the callous off, if possible.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by captivate
Mine took about 9 months to fully develop. What you're looking for is a soft callous, not a hard one. Lotion will probably help you develop that. Also, don't keep ripping the callous off, if possible.

This, only I used rubbing alcohol (Isopropyl) and it took a few weeks. Also, it helps numb the fingers if you use it during practice, so you can buy a little extra time for play.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

I've been playing over 20 years, and still if I let things laps for a few weeks, the fingers soften up and hurt a bit. I just play though the pain when this happens and they toughen up again pretty quick... a week or two at most and that's if I've not picked it up in a couple months.
My electric strings are heavy bottom skinny top... Anyway, I can't do an Fm chord on it, yet I can on acoustic, anyway, just practice.
Join cashcrate to make easy money. It may be tedious, but it does indeed work! Easily make $100 in about a week filling out random surveys.
My fingers get hard very fast. I didn't play my classical for weeks and my fingers got soft. After that I bought another acoustic guitar and they hurt for a day. The next day my fingers hurt very little. Now my fingers don't hurt at all. My palm hurts though, especially with those chords that stretch over 4 frets. I can play for 2 hours (never tried more than that before) straight . You'll get there.

I also don't know why but after I wash my hands with this green tea soap, the callouses get softer.
Well there's two kinds of pain one is from playing to much or not being used to it in which case you suck it up and play more. And then there is pain from over use which can lead to a repetitive stress injury and you want to stop playing like right now and give your body a rest. You have to judge if you are just sore or having serious pain. which is not hard to tell you will know it if you play to much I was playing over 10 hours a day and I knew something was wrong. So practice as much as you can but don't hurt your self stretch before you play and take breaks.
ROCK'N 6 STRINGS GRINDING PICKS INTO POWDER
First things first: Do you know if you have caluses?

If you've been playing 3-4 hours a day for months, there is no way your fingers should hurt. It is just natural that your fingers would develop caluses after a few weeks, especially with that kind of play time. If you stop for even a week or two, your caluses will fade and will have to be built back up again. But, if you play as much as you say, there shouldn't be a problem..

The only way I could see you having any pain is if you have been playing incorrectly for a long period of time in a few days. If you play a ridiculous amount of time in one day then your fingers most likely will hurt, even with caluses. If this is the case then you need to stop playing a few days and let your fingers relax and heal.
Last edited by Silverstein14 at Feb 3, 2009,