I play punk rock and I really liked it at guitar center...
when I first asked for some suggestions, someone tried to stick me with a bogner
it was nice, but I didn't really wanna spend 1500 usd
the Peavey Vypyr 75 is only 300 usd and has a sick rec setting
so anyone know of any negatives of this amp?
or go ahead and add any positives
its a great practice amp. could be good for gigging, altho ive heard the material used to construct the cabinet for the amp is kinda flimsy (might not hold up to constant lugging around)
Gear:
PRS SE Custom
Takamine G Series Acoustic
Peavey Vypyr 30
Digitech RP 250

Quote by voodoochild23
The only time I'll dance is if Nickelback caught fire and no one helped.
pros:
a lot better than oter similar amps, i.e marshall MG, and line 6 Spider
Sanpera Footswtich
Versatile

Cons: digital modelling
solid state

All that said i say go for , it's quite a nice amp, and if it does what you want, get it
Hey! First forum post for me.

I got this amp for christmas. I like it a lot for the most part, but here's my problem: I can't find a distortion setting I like. I suppose the red is Ok, but it's nowhere near crunch enough. I feel like the tone is thin, and trebly. I also admit that I went from a crate 10w to this. Lol So, mabye I don't know how to work it. But, I've messed with it for hours and still with only mediocre results.

I bought it for the effects, and all the crystal clean I could ask for. I also loveee me some metal, so there's where I thought* it would work.

Idk, I'm rambling now. Lol

Just saying. Reallyyy test it and see if it's for you.

But all in all, it's great and there's a lot for me to learn...
Quote by prsrulz91
its a great practice amp. could be good for gigging, altho ive heard the material used to construct the cabinet for the amp is kinda flimsy (might not hold up to constant lugging around)

thnx that's good to know...
anything else?
If you like it.
get it.
its ss,
and digital modeling.

go for tubes!
Quote by deadringer13
xjosheex, you have made a simple answer to it all haha

Quote by Pr0gNut
I hope he gets a blood disease and dies alone and screaming.

I mean that in the nicest way possible of course.
^tubes aren't gods gift to man fool, some SS amps are brilliant for their price
styles? if you push your budget a bit, you can get better for the price.

http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/details.cfm?listID=105057787 Peavey classic 30 for $380
This if you are into cleans and Light distortion/OD... punk, alternative, and handles pedals well

valveking for $250
http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/details.cfm?listID=105068150

Buy a $50 OD pedal and you are looking at a seriously metal amp

B-52 at-112 for $360 (new)
http://www.guitarcenter.com/B-52-AT-112-60-Watt-1x12--Tube-Combo-Amp-103733606-i1170731.gc

can do metal and cleans and OD on its own. excels in metal but can do other stuff well also.
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
What I have to say on the vypyr is that the speaker has very little low end... replace it with a nice Eminence, Celestion, or other brand of your choice, and you have a great amp.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
For the love of Jesus Christ..

I got this exact same amp today, and brought it home then jammed, or atleast tried to, for 2 hours. I am a simple guitarist, all I need is. Very crunchy-punchy bearable distortion, with little or no noise.

Well for me, this amp is absolute ****in garbage. I don't know what was in some of your heads when you recommended this noisy monster to me, it is absolutely the worst purchase I have ever made in musical career. Not only am I dissapointed, but I am enraged and at a loss, why did so many recommend this piece of rubbish to me. All the preinstalled settings are noisy and terrible, no matter which one I used it sounded muddy and screwy. No matter what I do, I get an echo-y noisy filth that reeks from this amp. If I move the volume by a millimeter the sound raises to earsplitting noise. Switching between settings is a tense horror movie, because with a turn of the knob, a syren blares at my ear drums. I have never played an amp thugs bad before in my life. I don't know what the bleeding **** you do with your amps and settings, but the Marshall MG with a DS-1 screws this pile of ass off the planet.

I am utterly dissapointed and enraged by this display of blasphemy. A 2 by 12 Raven owns this useless waste of space. And btw, Boss has way better effects. Idk why you all hate their pedals and honk they are toys, but in all honesty, my DS-1 and screwed up Orange 15 make waaaaaaaay better quality sound than the Vypyr. I'm renaming the Vypyr to what I threw up last night while in a car accident, cause that is what this thing sounds like.
Last edited by RisingFreedom09 at Feb 1, 2009,
Quote by RisingFreedom09

I got this exact same amp today, and brought it home then jammed, or atleast tried to, for 2 hours. I am a simple guitarist, all I need is. Very crunchy-punchy bearable distortion, with little or no noise.

Well for me, this amp is absolute ****in garbage. I don't know what was in some of your heads when you recommended this noisy monster to me, it is absolutely the worst purchase I have ever made in musical career. Not only am I dissapointed, but I am enraged and at a loss, why did so many recommend this piece of rubbish to me. All the preinstalled settings are noisy and terrible, no matter which one I used it sounded muddy and screwy. No matter what I do, I get an echo-y noisy filth that reeks from this amp. If I move the volume by a millimeter the sound raises to earsplitting noise. Switching between settings is a tense horror movie, because with a turn of the knob, a syren blares at my ear drums. I have never played an amp thugs bad before in my life. I don't know what the bleeding **** you do with your amps and settings, but the Marshall MG with a DS-1 screws this pile of ass off the planet.

I am utterly dissapointed and enraged by this display of blasphemy. A 2 by 12 Raven owns this useless waste of space. And btw, Boss has way better effects. Idk why you all hate their pedals and honk they are toys, but in all honesty, my DS-1 and screwed up Orange 15 make waaaaaaaay better quality sound than the Vypyr. I'm renaming the Vypyr to what I threw up last night while in a car accident, cause that is what this thing sounds like.

Believe me, the firmware updates really help a lot of those problems.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by RisingFreedom09

Did you not try it before you bought it? That's one of the worst things you can do.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
updates. Why can't I buy an amp that should do what's right from the get go. Companies shouldn't release prototypes.
Cause it is pretty easy to update :P
Quote by Echoplex
Mature pit regulars? Are you retarded?

I am a proud Zune 120 owner
Did you have them check the software version before you bought it?

The echo stuff is probably cuz the delay is on at startup...go to edit mode to turn it off. Reverb is on by default too. It'll be that way every time you boot up til you overwrite the preset with your own settings.

The volume is tame-able by adjusting post-gain down, it gives you more room on the master (though yes it's touchy).

As for the switching between settings, that's cuz Peavey loads the amp with their own presets...it's up to you to learn the amp and overwrite those with your own.

Modelling amps are not plug and play by any means, you really gotta understand the equipment to make it work for you.
My Stuff:
Austin Strat Copy - Lefty
(New and Improved with Bill Lawrence 290/280 Pickups)
MIM Telecaster - Lefty
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
TS-9 with a few mods
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah
Last edited by SwamperGene at Feb 1, 2009,
Quote by RisingFreedom09

The echo you hear is the digital delay. You just need to turn it off. Press the effects knob. That puts the amp into edit mode. When the amp is in edit mode the mid & high knobs control the delay effect (post gain knob controls reverb). See pic below. Turn the delay down or off if you want. Then press the effects knob again to go back to normal mode. Try this and see if it helps. The Vypyrs are a little complicated at first but after you figure them out they're really good amps. Yes the factory presets suck but that's why they put knobs on it so you can adjust it to suit your taste. Don't give up on it yet. And you should ALWAYS play an amp before you buy it.