I'm looking for a good book to work with in addition to the Berkley books (I am right now about half way through the second Leavitt one) to help my reading skills. I don't really want a technique or method book, just one with a lot of intermediate level reading, so that I can practice reading in different positions and in different keys.

It doesn't necessarily have to be a "guitar" book, it can really be anything that is cheap and has a lot of good songs for reading practice.
Last edited by IclaptonisgodI at Feb 1, 2009,
power tab or guitar pro, just turn off the tab parts, so your only looking at the standard notation?
steal some from schools.
Quote by deadringer13
xjosheex, you have made a simple answer to it all haha

Quote by Pr0gNut
I hope he gets a blood disease and dies alone and screaming.

I mean that in the nicest way possible of course.
Quote by Grevious555
power tab or guitar pro, just turn off the tab parts, so your only looking at the standard notation?

+1

This is a GREAT and FREE way (after buying guitar pro) to increase sight reading..i do it myself and it works well cause it really makes you sit down and think about the notes.
get a real book?
thats what i practice sightreading out of. play the melody, then comp the chords for three chorus (preferably using sensable voiceleading and cool rythyms in addition to just playing time). Then play the melody out--gets you used to real life sightreading. Use a metronome--and dont just sightread it, spend time till you perfect the chart in tempo.
Melodic Rhythms for Guitar by Leavitt. It consists of all different studies in different keys which you can play in multiple positions per study and it ranges from intermediate to pretty advanced by the end of the book.
12 fret fury
check out "howard roberts sightreading manual" its beyond sightreading.. but shows you how to "think" when you see notation..

example: when you read text..you don't read every word...works that you know "the, and, if, where, when" etc you pass over with your eye...you slow down to "read" a word your not used to reading, ie: "electrolysis"..but if you see the word over and over you wont have to "read" it...apply that approach to music and your reading improves rapidly...

he gives very valuable info on where on the fretboard to play passages within the scales they are written, thus speeding up the sightreading process...

may be hard to find but worth the effort..

play well

wolf
Last edited by wolflen at Feb 1, 2009,
im also in berklee 2, ive just been going back to book one, an sight reading some of the reading/speed exercises, and even some of the etudes, duets, etc...
Are you into be-bop?

If you, I would reccommed Charlie Parker's Omnibook. It has alot of his solos transcribed out, and you can get them transposed to C if you want. Some of it is insane up to speed, but its really fun to go through and check out what he liked to do over certain chords.
i used to be all hung up about learning music theory and trying to find the right book, so on and so forth, but i find that its better to just play along with songs by just listning first and then just addinng something here and there. dont try to copy it but just get the overall feel for the song and then put your on twist on the song. it make take hundreds of repeats of the same song but i find that it works better if you are more concerned about the sound or just the technique
"The Real Book" Series features over a hundred jazz standards providing melody and chord charts which would vastly help reading, i think the only limit is sometimes they are all set to the same key,
Endorser of ESP/LTD Guitars
Lead Guitarist in Hybrid Nightmares
Melbourne Guitar Academy
www.melbourneguitaracademy.com