so, for my theory homework, i was given a few sets of 4 measures, and im supposed to identify the time signatures, im having trouble with two examples

1. all 4 bars are an 8th note triplet followed by two 8th notes. my first assumption was 5/8 since its 5 eighth notes to complete a measure, but a later example was 2 sets of 2 eighth notes followed by a single 8th note. the second example would be 5/8, which would mean that the example with the triplets would be something else, right?

2. everything is 16th notes, and all 4 bars are just 3 sets of triplets. im totally stumped on this one.

sorry if this is confusing, i did my best to explain.
by triplet i meant 3 eighth notes, beamed together.

edit:
so could it possibly by 2/4? since the triplet would be 1 beat, and the 2 eighth notes would be another beat? so it would be the same as 2 quarter notes?
Last edited by Guitar x Dude 7 at Feb 1, 2009,
agreed, Chikao42. by my calculations that wd make the 1st 1 4/8 time and the second 1 6/8. its been a while since i've done ANY theory so don't take it as 1oo%

edit:
when u say beamed, is it a kinda semi-circular beam or a square beam with a little 3 either above or below it?
Gear
Gibson SG Standard
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
DigiTech XDD DigiDelay
Cort Z22 Zenox with IronGear Alchemist 90 pickups
Ibanez Talman TCY50
Stagg BC300 Bass

I didn't lose my mind, I sold it on ebay.
Last edited by fburns at Feb 1, 2009,
Quote by Guitar x Dude 7
by triplet i meant 3 eighth notes, beamed together.

edit:
so could it possibly by 2/4? since the triplet would be 1 beat, and the 2 eighth notes would be another beat? so it would be the same as 2 quarter notes?

By triplet you meant 3 eight notes beamed together with three on the top, yeah?

1. Assuming you did, the first would have 3 triplet quavers (eighth) which would equal one crotchet (quater) then two more quavers which would also equal a crotchet, so yes 2/4 seems like the best option.

2. 3 semiquaver (16th) triplets would equal one quaver so if there are three sets of triplets in a bar then it is most likely to be 3/8.

Bingo.

I have no idea what the second one is from your description.
Quote by Guitar x Dude 7

2. everything is 16th notes, and all 4 bars are just 3 sets of triplets. im totally stumped on this one.

Which one is it: three sets of (four, I assume) sixteenth notes or three sets of sixteenth note triplets? The former, 3/4, the latter, 3/8.
The first one is 2/4, the second one is 3/8. Easy.

let me explain:

1. 3 eighth note triplets=1 quarter note and 2 eighth notes=1 quarter note. 2 quarter notes per measure is 2/4.

2. 3 sixteenth note triplets=1 eighth note. 3 groupings of 3 sixteenth note triplets=3 eighth notes. 3 eighth notes per measure is 3/8

Edit: wait I think I misunderstood your second one.

what you just posted would be also 2/4 because 3 sixteenth note triplets=1 eighth note. 4 groupings of 4 sixteenth note triplets=4 eighth notes. 4 eighth notes per measure is 2/4
My sig used to be so awesome it got me banned
Last edited by Your_Dad at Feb 2, 2009,