Page 1 of 2
ok guys, I know there are alot of post about which amp to buy, and I have read alot, but I still cant decide on what to buy. ok here is my music style.... I am looking at a Punk/power Pop/inde/rock band. something like Taking Back Sunday, Just Surrender, Anberlin, SR71, and Story of the year, all mixed up. I have been playing guitar for about 7 years, but the last 2 years I just sang in a band. I want to start playing agian. ok now that you know about me, i am looking at a few amps. I am just looking for a head now. once i get that i will pick a new guitar and cab that sounds good. I dont what to spend more than about $2100. ok i am looking at a mesa triple rec, or a Marshall JVM. I played the Orange, and just dont think it does enough for me. I need at least 2 chanels, but would like 3. Mesa has 3, JVM has either 2 or 4. 4 seems like overkill. i was also looking at a dsl or tsl but i cant find them.... did Marshall stop making them? ok so what is a better amp? Mesa is cheap but i hear they are great. I like the Marshalls. i have been playing on a MG100, and I think it sounds good for a cheap amp. Please help. oh and with what ever amp you think i should get, what about guitars? a Tele or a Strat? ok thanks for taking the time to read this long A$$ Thread.......
either way its good but the JVM is great(just planon really cranking it to get the best out of it).
Strats and Teles are both great. That relly is a tough one but I myself would go with the STRAT!
Need paragraphs.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
I have a triple rec and a strat and a marshall, but I reallyyyy want a tele. Tele has better rock tones imo. Although I do love the fat single coil neck sound, but I don't think that's what you're going for.
Mesa do not make cheap amps, I'm not sure what gave you that idea. They cost over a grand brand new, they're not "cheap" amps. And the Mesa Rectifier amps are quite different than Marshalls. What genre of music are you looking at playing mainly?
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
I'd go with a Mesa/Strat. You could probably get a Dual Recto and a MIM Strat (or Tele...) for like $1700 if you get lucky.
Quote by SilverchairFan
Mesa is cheap? Where are u shopping? lol

Maybe Randall Smith is his dad
I wouldn't even consider a Marshall with a budget like that. They're probably more of the sound you're looking for, but something like a Splawn would slay it.

IMO, the JVM sounds like crap, for the price, there's MUCH better amps.

Highwaytohell gave a great suggestion, the Quickrod would be great for getting some sweet Marshall tones, with the advantages of a boutique amplifier.

If you're set on a Mesa, a Roadster or Road King would be good as well, Mesa's best amp IMO, but you may also consider the Lone Star, as it will be better for lower gain stuff and cleans. The Stiletto is worth a look too, it's Mesa's take on the Marshall sound.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by SilverchairFan
Mesa is cheap? Where are u shopping? lol

Cheaper then the Marshall JVM410h. Mesa Triple goes for $1600 JVM $2200... so Mesa cheaper than JVM i should have said. sorry
Fender Hightway one Texas Tele
Ibanez sc420 in black pearl
Ibanez sc320 in purple haha
Ibanez RG in black
Fender Squire ha my first guitar

Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier head
Marshall MG100 Halfstack
lots of PA stuff. all Yamaha
No JVM - it can create some good sounds - but it has no actual tone or depth.

It is a phenomenally bland and sterile amp.

Even the V.M has more tone than that.
Quote by MustangSVT
Mesa do not make cheap amps, I'm not sure what gave you that idea. They cost over a grand brand new, they're not "cheap" amps. And the Mesa Rectifier amps are quite different than Marshalls. What genre of music are you looking at playing mainly?

Im looking at a Pop/Punk/rock genre. i know Mesa or not cheap, but what i ment is that they cost less than the JVM. i am looking at highen amps, so when i say cheaper, i mean it cost less than the others i am looking at. sorry again.
Ibanez RG in black

Marshall MG100 Halfstack
Quote by cjb8200
Cheaper then the Marshall JVM410h. Mesa Triple goes for $1600 JVM $2200... so Mesa cheaper than JVM i should have said. sorry

The Triple Recto is $1900, I dunno where you're getting your prices from.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
The Triple Recto is $1900, I dunno where you're getting your prices from.

well i dont know where you shopping at, but i went to my dealer yesterday, and I almost walked out with a Triple Rect for $1600. and i also looked at the Road king, for around $2500. thats a hell of an amp. its a dual though. but i am not worried to much about price, i just want to know which is the better amp for the style i am looking for. mesa boogie or marshall jvm.
Ibanez RG in black

Marshall MG100 Halfstack
The Mesa is better for what you're looking for... and a tele is more of a pop/rock/powerpop guitar anyway, so I'd go with that. Also look into a Mesa Rectoverb, that's a great amp for your styles.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by stradivari310
The Mesa is better for what you're looking for... and a tele is more of a pop/rock/powerpop guitar anyway, so I'd go with that. Also look into a Mesa Rectoverb, that's a great amp for your styles.

ok thanks man. I have been hearing the mesa is the best all around. i keep hearing you can make a Mesa sound like an Orange, or Marshall, but you cant make orange, marshall sound like a mesa. and I was leaning more towards the tele to. thanks again everyone. i will put picks when i get my set up. the head will come first then the guitar, then the cap, then road cases fall everything!!! i got till the sumer to get my rig right. no rush. thanks again!!
Ibanez RG in black

Marshall MG100 Halfstack
Quote by cjb8200
well i dont know where you shopping at, but i went to my dealer yesterday, and I almost walked out with a Triple Rect for $1600. and i also looked at the Road king, for around $2500. thats a hell of an amp. its a dual though. but i am not worried to much about price, i just want to know which is the better amp for the style i am looking for. mesa boogie or marshall jvm.

Thats a pretty good price for the triple, I paid a bit more for the Roadking combo, but its well worth the money and will retain most of its value anyway. If you can afford it you will NOT be disappointed and it can get a very good Marshall sound, and the cleans are absolutely stunning.
Quote by cjb8200
ok thanks man. I have been hearing the mesa is the best all around. i keep hearing you can make a Mesa sound like an Orange, or Marshall, but you cant make orange, marshall sound like a mesa. and I was leaning more towards the tele to. thanks again everyone. i will put picks when i get my set up. the head will come first then the guitar, then the cap, then road cases fall everything!!! i got till the sumer to get my rig right. no rush. thanks again!!

Wrong.

People know each of those amps a mile off.

Well, people with ears.

I have never once heard a Mesa ever have a non-Mesa voicing - though the Stiletto did confuse me once.

A Splawn and a Mojave would though on Marshall tones.
I would just save some cash and get the dual rectifier...the hell are you gonna do with a 150 watt amp?
Quote by M Power
I would just save some cash and get the dual rectifier...the hell are you gonna do with a 150 watt amp?

yeah i know.. 150 does seem like overkill. well at least what i have heard. i hear the tubes sound best when they cranked up. i would never crank up a 150w tube amp. but i also hear the dual doesnt sound as good as the triple. That is what the sales man told me at the mesa shop. I asked him what he meant and he said it does not have the same smooth tone like the triple. it does not have the lows. how true is that?
Ibanez RG in black

Marshall MG100 Halfstack
Quote by cjb8200
yeah i know.. 150 does seem like overkill. well at least what i have heard. i hear the tubes sound best when they cranked up. i would never crank up a 150w tube amp. but i also hear the dual doesnt sound as good as the triple. That is what the sales man told me at the mesa shop. I asked him what he meant and he said it does not have the same smooth tone like the triple. it does not have the lows. how true is that?

The triple recto has a bigger transformer, which gives you better bass responce. The amount of bass is the first thing I noticed when I went from a single recto to my triple. As far as sounding smoother I'm unsure about that, I know that my triple has a smoother sound than my single did, but I have a 2ch triple and I have not really compared it to the newer ones. I have a feeling that Headroom is going to be the only neglible difference between the Dual and Triple.
I would consider a Mesa Single Rectifier and a dual humbucker '72 reissue Fender Tele.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by cjb8200

Straight from the price list, the Triple is $1900. Unless the one you saw was used, or they've dropped the price dramatically since the new year, the dealer is not allowed to sell it at a discount rate.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by cjb8200

Dude, he's trying to sell you something more expensive. You can never listen to a salesman, they're mostly idiots, and they're trying to rip you off.

Now, mesas are versatile amps in that they can cover many genres, but don't think for a minute that you'll get one to sound like a marshall (though the stilleto will get close). American voiced Mesa =/= British voiced Marshall/Orange.

Now, for the money you want to spend I would consider splawn and lower end soldanos for your marshall tone and look for the older 2 chan rectos. I've not tried the older mesa rectos, but the new ones don't sound that good to me, especially for the price, and I've heard that the older 2 channel ones do it better.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Fender Special Edition HH Tele
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Custom-Telecaster-FMT-Electric-Guitar?sku=511262

Just swap out the pickups.

And it looks like you like genres with British voiced amps.
But yet you want the American tone more.

Mm, just go with whatever your ear likes best.
I'd recommend the Recto though
That looks pretty cool but I hate the headstock...

wouldn't it loose it's charisteristic sound because the humbuckers and missing tin bridge thingy?
Quote by cjb8200

What you might have heard is that the two-channel Rectos sound better than the three-channel ones. The a Dual Rec does not refer to two-channels (it refers to two pairs of power tubes), same thing goes for triple Rec.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig

wouldn't it loose it's charisteristic sound because the humbuckers and missing tin bridge thingy?

Yup, you pretty much guarantee it won't sound a thing like a tele.

Telecaster = Single-coil bridge pup on steel plate + Covered single-coil neck pup.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig

You're right, some players are really firm in the belief that a Tele must sound and look like a traditional Tele.
Others like the body shape and neck of Teles but not the bright twang.
It's an endless debate. To each thier own I guess.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
You're right, some players are really firm in the belief that a Tele must sound and look like a traditional Tele.
Others like the body shape and neck of Teles but not the bright twang.
It's an endless debate. To each thier own I guess.

Agreed, but if TS is looking for the tele sound then that won't do it, whether or not it's an awesome sounding (couldn't tell ya) or looking (definitely looks nice) guitar.
I play the same kind of stuff that you do, def go with the MESA and if you have to have a Fender guitar go with Tele, something Gibson would be better though.
Quote by cmalmo4
I play the same kind of stuff that you do, def go with the MESA and if you have to have a Fender guitar go with Tele, something Gibson would be better though.

Gibsons are overprice and have poor quality control, explain why they're better.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Gibsons are overprice and have poor quality control, explain why they're better.

+1, Edwards FTW!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Page 1 of 2