I started the remodel on my Epi Les Paul.

I put in two new pickups with the wire scheme below, and just doubled it for the other pickup. Plan is to use push-pull pots tone as series/parallel switching and volume as phase switching. Both pickups are dimarzio's.

I hooked up the neck pickup according to the drawing I have and when i plugged it in the thing hummed horribly, then you could hardly make out the sound when you did play it.

Do I have shielding issues? For the short jumpers on the push-pull pots should I have used shielded wire? Or is there a grounding issue somewhere? or both?

Last edited by BucketheadLP at Feb 1, 2009,
The jumpers need not be shielded cable but any signal carrying wire can reduce hum if it's shielded.

Check:
Did the DiMarzios have a bare ground wire and did you wire it in?
Did you ground the bridge/trem?
Do you have a ground loop in your wiring?
Are your cavities shielded?
Did you try the pps and did they change the sound?
Do you have the Bridge in and did it sound normal?

Your pps seem odd. The diagram works but if 'normal' = down then the ser/par pp is par. If 'normal' = up then phase is reversed.
Yea I noticed the one on the series/par i did the drawing upside down. But the phase reversal i'll need to switch

I assume the cavities are not shielded, I didn't see anything that looked like they were. I am going to finish the bridge pup and put them both in and try it

Check:
Did the DiMarzios have a bare ground wire and did you wire it in?

Yes that was soldered

Did you ground the bridge/trem?

They had one wire coming from where I assumed was the bridge and that is grounded

Do you have a ground loop in your wiring?

I will double check but I was sure to only ground one side of the shielded cables

Are your cavities shielded?

I looked and to me it looks unshielded

Did you try the pps and did they change the sound?

I did this and nothing changed still had tons of a hum and a very weak low volume sound.

Do you have the Bridge in and did it sound normal?

I had just finished soldering in the neck pickup and thought i'd test it out before i did all the connections for the bridge pickup, so none of the bridge pickup wiring is done.
Last edited by BucketheadLP at Feb 1, 2009,
Have you got a multi-meter to test the pickup? Check the resistance across both coils and 'wiggle' the wires a bit to see if there's a loose connection at the pickup end.
Thank you for the help bellerophon. I got it working wonderfully except one of the push-pulls won't pull. Noise wasn't bad but I think I'll go through and insulate the cavity when I replace the broken pot.