Heyy, Just need help at deciding what guitar strings to get?

I don't play classical, just pure acoustic

I've never looked into buying acoustic strings, ever. My dad just orders some random strings in just for the sake of restringing, but I want some new strings now, As the last time i restrung my acoustic was about 7 months ago.

Thanks guys.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=767693

Some good suggestions in there.

I have cleartone strings right now and they certainly last a lot better than the Elixirs. Sound better too.

The Martin Eric Clapton signatures are my other favourite set of strings. I'll probably be going between the cleartones and these in the future.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Just search for it. There's also an FAQ type thing at the top with a link to a "Which Strings?" thread.

FWIW, my favorite strings are D'Addario. Given, they're the only strings I've ever tried besides Elixirs, but they sound way better than Elixirs. Oh, and I don't know how this has happened, but I have a regular set of uncoated Phosphor Bronze strings on my Tak, and they still sound great after being on there for about.......4 months. Weird, cuz I don't take care of my strings at all. Just grab and play, then hang it back up on the wall when I'm done. They've gone through 2 "gigs" and a lock-in at my church where everyone at one point or another picked up my guitar to mess around with it.

The cool thing is that they've worn really smooth, so my crazy-rough calluses don't make that horrible squeak when I slide or change chords.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
^ Expensive. They're good though. I think they're coated to boot.

I like Martin SP Phosphor Bronzes. Just play them hard for a few days and they start to sound good. Well, better than when they were new.

Now I'm using D'Addarios. Just the cheap, regular ('original') Phosphor Bronzes.
Quote by Chasing Shadows
Heyy, Just need help at deciding what guitar strings to get?

I don't play classical, just pure acoustic

I've never looked into buying acoustic strings, ever. My dad just orders some random strings in just for the sake of restringing, but I want some new strings now, As the last time i restrung my acoustic was about 7 months ago.

Thanks guys.

Confused much? Classicals ARE pure acoustic guitars. The difference being nylon string vs. steel string. Both are acoustic guitars though.
Strings are a personal preference thing all the way. What I may like in a certain set of strings, the next guy will hate. You simply need to experiment with different set's and learn for yourself what you like and go from there.
What would help here is knowing what kind of guitar you have. Yea, you said it's a "pure acoustic" but that's not helpful. Is it a dreadnaught, archtop, 12 string, Martin, Alvarez, First Act, ...... See what I mean? There's too many makes and models out there for us to help until we know what it is you have.
Quote by LeftyDave
Confused much? Classicals ARE pure acoustic guitars. The difference being nylon string vs. steel string. Both are acoustic guitars though.
Strings are a personal preference thing all the way. What I may like in a certain set of strings, the next guy will hate. You simply need to experiment with different set's and learn for yourself what you like and go from there.
What would help here is knowing what kind of guitar you have. Yea, you said it's a "pure acoustic" but that's not helpful. Is it a dreadnaught, archtop, 12 string, Martin, Alvarez, First Act, ...... See what I mean? There's too many makes and models out there for us to help until we know what it is you have.

You misunderstood entirely what I said.

I meant.. I PLAY Acoustic songs?..
I don't play and classical songs.. funnily enough done on a classical guitar.. but besides the point, I play acoustic songs, not classical?

Coprendé?
Quote by Chasing Shadows

I don't play and classical songs.. funnily enough done on a classical guitar.. but besides the point, I play acoustic songs, not classical?

Coprendé?

What Dave was pointing out is that a classical guitar and a steel string guitar are BOTH "acoustic" guitars. To say "acoustic" actually doesn't mean very much. "Acoustic" just means you can hear it by natural projection(without electronics).

Just a technicality, but it's good to know the difference.
Equipment:

I doubt if anyone doesn't know the difference. I think LeftyDave was just being a darsh.

Chasing Shadows - I LOVE D'Addario Phosphor Bronze. Beautiful warmth ftw!
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

Money is no object (within reason), but changing strings is a pain in the ........

I go with coated. Elixers right now. Going to try the Ernie Ball equivelent next.

Having read some of the comment I'll give Cleartones a try after that.
2001 Gibson USA Les Paul Studio Black/Gold
2008 Alvarez-Yairi DY40C
2004 Taylor 310
Marshall AVT275

Ex guits 2002 Ovation Elite, 1995 Seagull 12 BC Rich Gunslinger Snakeskin Various Yamaha Various Sammick Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone ES
I used the Dean Markley Alchemy GoldPhos strings for around 3 months before they started to go dead, but MF and the local store were both out when i went to get new strings so i tried elixers and havent had a problem yet but when i'm due for another change i'm going back to the alchemys they have a wierd color to them and i think they have some coating on them but it dosen't kill the tone at all
Quote by Link.JohnIrving
I doubt if anyone doesn't know the difference. I think LeftyDave was just being a darsh.

Chasing Shadows - I LOVE D'Addario Phosphor Bronze. Beautiful warmth ftw!

Oh NO YOU DID NOT!

Dave was just trying to point something out so that you could add on to your guitar knowledge, because that's what he does. He wasn't being, as you called it, "a darsh", he was being the helpful and very knowledgable person that we all respect him for being.

When referring to "pure acoustics", you are actually referring to an acoustic guitar with no pickups. Steel string acoustic is what you THOUGHT you were referring to. Classical guitar is the one with nylon strings. Steel string is, obviously, the one with steel strings.

Anyways, TS, you say you play acoustic songs, not classical songs. By that do you mean classical songs like Beethoven or classical guitar songs? In case you didn't know, there's a very distinct difference.

Just keep that in mind next time you're referring to acoustic guitars, ok?
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Last edited by Natrone at Feb 4, 2009,
^^^This is funny, seeing as how I have no idea what a "darsh" is. Tis but words from a buffoon anyway. If I let that sort of thing bother me, then I'd get nowhere in life. But thanks anyhow for jumping in to defend me captivate and natrone! You guys rock!
^
Equipment:

Quote by Chasing Shadows

Coprendé?

He meant for you to learn the difference between classical and folk guitar. He knew what you were saying, just as everyone else did.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
First of all you need to restring at least every month as they go dead. I use Martin SP Phosphor Bronze strings. I've tried others and always come back. Buy them at Musicians Friend and buy 5 or 6 sets at a time to make the postage worthwhile. Get 'em a lot cheaper than at the local guitar store. Most places don't even carry them.
It's all good. Back onto the topic of which strings, I was just given a pack of Martin SP's (studio/performance series). They are phos/bronze and are lights, .012, .016, .025, .032, .042, .054. I've no idea how they will sound but since I'm already a fan of phos/bronze strings, I figure I'll like them. My current set of Elixer Nano p/b's are still good to go so it might be another week or two until I get around to putting these on. If this thread is still active then, I'll post back and let everyone know my thoughts on them.
BTW, these will be going on my Alvarez full size dreadnaught RD20SL, in case the TS or anyone else was wondering.