my friend was having trouble fitting the battery in his strat and doesn't want to route it or block the trem ( mine is routed out). so i was thinking about other ways to power it. Could i just take 3 2025 watch
batteries (3v each) and stack them. take a battery clip and trimmed the leads to about
3/4 inch long and stripped about 1/4" down. then solder the ends to 1/4 circles of
shielding tape. and then stick the - side to the + of the battery and the + lead to the
-. Would that work or could you come up with another way??? your help is greatly appreciated.
^thats just so crazy it might work!

actually, it really should, since 9v=9v. it might not last that long though since they will store less charge than a standard 9v.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
yeah - it'll work, but you might end up constantly changing batteries.
im guessing you have a strat, wound it fit on the back were the strings go thru?

Guitar : Fender CIJ Mustang and a Telecaster
Amp : 76 fender champ
Pedals : BBE green screamer, Big muff, Ibanez LU20 Pedal Tuner, boss loop pedal
that would block the trem, which he doesnt want to do.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
i did a little more research and i think it will work because a regular 9 volt as about 300 mAh. and 1 of the 2025 batteries has about 170 mAh. mAh is basically what determines the power, so i think it will actually work. im gonna try it this week and let u guys know how it goes. thanks for your help.
It wouldn't have a very long battery life, but the numbers add up; it'd work.

(do you have a schematic I could have a look at? I might myself add a mid boost or just a mids knob to my JS)
if the trem has three springs you can remove the center spring and place the battery here
The watch batteries will be fine.

As long as you have an stereo input jack that disconnects the battery when no lead is inserted. It's not like there is an LED drawing major current. You know if pedals didnt have LED indicators most analog pedals could last over 400 hours...

Check to see how much current the circuit draws. From there a simple calculation can be done to see how long the battery will last. Also I believe that when you add cells like those watch ones the mAH does not add up, not entirely sure about that though.

mAH measure of Batteries:
Alkaline 500-550
Carbon-Zinc 400
Lithium 1200
NiCd nickel-cadmium rechargeable 120
NiMH nickel-metal-hydride rechargeable 175-300
Lithium polymer rechargeable 500
Last edited by kurtlives91 at Feb 1, 2009,
i just found watch batteries that have 1000 mAh. SONY CR2477 Lithium coin batteries. If i use these don't you guys think it will work???
Quote by kurtlives91
The watch batteries will be fine.

As long as you have an stereo input jack that disconnects the battery when no lead is inserted. It's not like there is an LED drawing major current. You know if pedals didnt have LED indicators most analog pedals could last over 400 hours...

Check to see how much current the circuit draws. From there a simple calculation can be done to see how long the battery will last. Also I believe that when you add cells like those watch ones the mAH does not add up, not entirely sure about that though.

mAH measure of Batteries:
Alkaline 500-550
Carbon-Zinc 400
Lithium 1200
NiCd nickel-cadmium rechargeable 120
NiMH nickel-metal-hydride rechargeable 175-300
Lithium polymer rechargeable 500

Are you saying that if I took the LED out of all my pedals and replaced them with either jumpers or diodes (I don't know which), I could improve my battery life?
clapton midboost? what exactly does that do for your sound and your pickups?
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Ash Lite Stratocaster
Ibanez ac70 acoustic
Ovation Celebrity
Fender Blues Jr
planet waves tuner-ts9dx tubescreamer-metal muff-boss ce-5-delta labs dd1 delay
Quote by Les Paul Ell
Are you saying that if I took the LED out of all my pedals and replaced them with either jumpers or diodes (I don't know which), I could improve my battery life?

Don't replace them with anything. The LED is just an indicator. And yes, it would increase battery life.
Quote by Les Paul Ell

Yep for sure! Would increase quite a bit depending on the LED and it's brightness.

For the record I use 5mm Water Clear High Brightness Blue LEDs in all my pedals with a 16K limiting resistor. It is bright as hell and only draws 0.40mA! If you using diffused LEDs your battery is really being sucked dry.

Just remove the LED, no jumpering or adding of diodes.
hmmm....

you could always use a 1/4 TRS and power the boost from a pedal enclosure... i mean if neg goes to ground all you'd need to do is have the ring be the pos and wire the positive battery lead to the ring of the jack on the guitar and do the same for the connector on the enclosure.... it'd make changing batteries pretty simple for sure...

i hope that makes sense. i know someone on here probably knows what i mean.
Quote by kurtlives91
Yep for sure! Would increase quite a bit depending on the LED and it's brightness.

For the record I use 5mm Water Clear High Brightness Blue LEDs in all my pedals with a 16K limiting resistor. It is bright as hell and only draws 0.40mA! If you using diffused LEDs your battery is really being sucked dry.

Just remove the LED, no jumpering or adding of diodes.

Well I've got a BOSS Ds-1 that I'm modding to your specs, is this of the type that will drain my battery or am I better off leaving it?
Quote by Blackie08
i found a much easier way guys..
http://www.precisionmusictech.com/xbat.htm

just wire the 9 volt battery clip on two wires to the stereo output jack and.... no batteries needed EVER!!!!!!!

you found the $70 version of exactly what i suggested, although what i suggested is much more cheaper to do and equally, if not more, effective due to the ease you can go up to 18v, or 27v if you feel so inclined.