Alright so I decided to look at the chord structure of Mud Pie from Rockschool Grade 6 and these are the chords it uses:

E, F#, A, B and C all major

so assuming that the piece is written in E this gives the chords:

I, II, IV, V, bVI

I'm confused as to what is going on here because the major I, IV and V suggest a major key but the bVI is minor and I'm not sure what the II puts it in

any ideas would be helpful
I think that might be because of modal interchange.

I've seen lots of times pieces of music that mixes chords from the major and minor keys (keeping the same tonal center), so surely this C major chord is taken from the E minor key.

You haven't specified the 7th of those chords. That information also would be very useful for you analysis.
It's in E Minor, not E Major.

Natural minor that is, which is the enharmonic equivalent of G Major. So it is:

vi, vii, ii, iii, IV

in G major (well... E minor to be precise)
Quote by Volvic

vi, vii, ii, iii, IV

There is nothing in that progression to suggest E minor (which is not the same as G major). At a glance, I don't see why it would be considered E anything since there's no real resolution that would suggest E as a tonal center.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Volvic

vi, vii, ii, iii, IV

Nothing about this says E minor in any shape or form.
Edit: Archeo got it first.
Ooooh right, yeah sorry.

I read it wrong, I thought he meant C was the only major chord (meaning the rest were minor).

So no one got any more suggestions?
II is a secondary dominant, V/V, and bVI is quite common, it's just borrowed from the parallel minor key.
"And everybody knows that you live forever
Ah, when you've done a line or two"