Playing standing up has always been somewhat of a hassle, I'm always trying to balance the comfort of both my hands and look decent while playing at the same time, the former being the most important of course.

After experimenting with many different ways of playing, I found one where my playing ability is 90% of my normal sitting down playing but my left hand usually cramps up slightly, there is no sharp pain but I feel that most of the muscles in my wrist area are considerably tense and have been battered. Will this go away after my hands adapt to this way of playing as time passes by, or is there anything I need to adjust? This is very important to me and has been worrying me specially that my first gig is in a month and a half's time.

All advice and suggestions are mandatory
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
Last edited by breakstuff at Feb 1, 2009,
well, I can't play standing up (not well at least) , so I can't help you
If you're worrying about "how you look while standing with a guitar," then you should go into modeling and give the guitar away.

Hang it in a way that allows you maximum playability with minimum tension. Period. You're not there to LOOK good, you're there to SOUND good.

IMO
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Start with your guitar high enough that you feel no extra strain... and every couple of days (or whenever you feel comfortable) move it down a bit, so that it's a gradual adjustment rather than one huge strain.

You will probably make progress faster than you think, and it's a lot less stressful on your mind and your hands.

Hope this helps.
My Gear:
Paul Reed Smith SE Paul Allender
Laney GH100L Head
Behringer Cab
Damage Control Demonizer Distortion/Preamp
well some people just hav it them but i didnt so i practiced standing up and playing every time i played before my first gig and now i can play perfectly standing up, you hav to practice your showmenship just as much as your playing
First of all, raise your guitar so it is in the same position, as much as possible, as when you sit down. If that doesn't help enough, try leaning slightly backwards, it should make it easier for you to reach the fretboard without cramping up your left hand.

at least that's how i feel comfortable
I hope it is of some use
playing standing up just takes getting used to. i remember when i first started playing standing up i couldnt play anything haha. triplets and tremolo became very hard but i kept trying to play standing up.

the more often you play standing up, the more natural it will come to you. just dont worry about looking cool.

Own an Ibanez RG series guitar? Join the group.

Quote by DkassBTU
fly ass ******s wearin my hat

hahahahaha
I play sitting down all the time, 'cus I haven't got a strap to match my guitar yet. I've played standing up a few times by balancing the guitar on my leg (which is propped up on an object) and I don't think it's hugely different from sitting down.
Gear;
- B.C. Rich Warbeast Bloodbound
- B.C. Rich NT Zombie 5-String Bass
- BOSS GT-10 Multi Effects TANK!
...In other words, I'm taking a giant dump on fender owners who use pods.
Quote by decayingdave
I play sitting down all the time, 'cus I haven't got a strap to match my guitar yet. I've played standing up a few times by balancing the guitar on my leg (which is propped up on an object) and I don't think it's hugely different from sitting down.

When you get a strap my friend, feel free to come back with a post such as "OMG ITS ACTUALLY REALLY DIFFERENT/DIFFICULT IF YOU HAVEN'T PRACTICED IT!!"
My Gear:
Paul Reed Smith SE Paul Allender
Laney GH100L Head
Behringer Cab
Damage Control Demonizer Distortion/Preamp
THX for all the input guys its helpful as ever.
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
Quote by decayingdave

its completely different when you aren't balancing it on your leg.

TS, i have the same problem you do, I guess the best advice for both of us is practice.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^