I play in a deathcore/hardcore band, and we've used 6 strings the whole time.
Until recently. The other guitarist got a 7 string and he wanted me to get one too. At first I was down to get the 7 string, because, hey, why not? But then I played a Gibson at a guitar center and I fell in love. So I was thinking about sticking to a 6 string( the gibson in particular) while he uses a 7 string.
Sooo, is it common practice have a 7 string and a 6 string in a band together?
I really don't know much about 7 strings, but as far as I know, you can get a 6 string to the exact same tone as the low end of a 7 string, right? I can match my tuning exactly to his besides his bottom string to where everything that we normally play would sound right in this scenario?

And also, I didn't play the gibson very long. It seems like it would be fine for our type of music, or any type of music for that matter.
The Gibson Les Paul Vintage, anyone have input on the idea of using this guitar for our genre?

Thanks all for your time.
I'd get the seven imo

and with the budget you seem to have for the LP you could get a killer one
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
I'd get a 7. The LP is 24.75" scale so it's not as great for low tunings. Not to say it's bad but there are guitars that are better suited for low tuning. Also, i've played a lot that feel pretty crappy compared to mine.
personally i think 7 strings are a waste of money. you might use it for a little bit, but once the novelty wears off.....
you should check out the 7 string thread, a lot of experts in there
Quote by Td_Nights
*Points to Above Poster*

Best. Username. Ever.

Quote by _-Joey-_
I wish I was gay...

PSN- td_rules Steam- tdrules
You can't just downtune a guitar as far as you want. eventually it'll get really flimsy and sound like crap. Also, even if you get thicker strings, you have to set up the bridge to be able to handle that.
Quote by yomoma21
personally i think 7 strings are a waste of money. you might use it for a little bit, but once the novelty wears off.....

There's no novelty to my seven. Having an extended range is incredibly useful, and helps economy of effort while playing, too.
id say go for it,check some of the ibanez 7 strings and if moneys an issue the dean vendetta 7 strings like 400
Quote by RU Experienced?
I like staring at girls' boobs and seeing how long it takes them to say something and what their reaction is. It's win-win-win

Quote by darkstar2466
I once saw two snails fuck. It was pretty damn cool.
i got a 7 string for xmas, i love the thing trust me, its really useful to have, but as others have said you'd have to get your guitar readjusted to play low tunings, and you can also get a 7 string of a better quality than some gibsons for better prices. and if you love the gibsons shape try looking into ESP guitars, they make 7 strings and use modified gibson shapes. but they do.
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
i'd go for the seven. but first off, you dont have to drop tune to match his tuning, you probly cant drop that far, but 7 is just beadgbe, so if you stay in standard you have matched him, but you cant hit the lows he can.
schecter makes some damn fine sevens. if you have the cash for a decent les paul, you should check the jeff loomis signature. floyd rose and everything.
The seven string would be pretty good, whether you'd really get any use out of that extra string is questionable, but each to their own. Now, I've either read something wrong or you're using some serious effects constantly, But didn't you say you were thinking of using a Gibson LP... even though you play DeathCore?

To me, that doesn't compute... I've got a fairly cheap LP copy and I've never used it since I got into heavier playing styles and heavy guitars, simply 'cus in my experiences LP's have been more suited to moderate rock and classic sound, as opposed to speed and distortion that are favourable in ''...Core'' styles.
Gear;
- B.C. Rich Warbeast Bloodbound
- B.C. Rich NT Zombie 5-String Bass
- BOSS GT-10 Multi Effects TANK!
...In other words, I'm taking a giant dump on fender owners who use pods.
Yeah, that was the main thing, worrying about the low tuning.
I only got to play the gibson in C so I didn't know how it would sound dropped much further.
I have a Schecter tempest custom right now and it plays in drop A fine, so I thought it might work out.
But now it seems it would be much easier to just get the 7 string.
Quote by decayingdave
The seven string would be pretty good, whether you'd really get any use out of that extra string is questionable, but each to their own. Now, I've either read something wrong or you're using some serious effects constantly, But didn't you say you were thinking of using a Gibson LP... even though you play DeathCore?

To me, that doesn't compute... I've got a fairly cheap LP copy and I've never used it since I got into heavier playing styles and heavy guitars, simply 'cus in my experiences LP's have been more suited to moderate rock and classic sound, as opposed to speed and distortion that are favourable in ''...Core'' styles.

Yeah, as I said I really don't know much about gibson, nor do I have any experience with them.
That was my first time playing a Gibson.
I played it through a nice marshal amp with distortion at the center. Don't remember which model.
It sounded fine, had enough 'chun' as some like to call it.
Palm mutes and pinches sounded great. It sounded clean. Played my bands songs and it sounded good.
But of course I had my doubts since this was my first time playing one and it was only for a moment, which is why I brought it up in the thread.

But yeah, I guess you could say I use alot of distortion.
I have a mesa triple rec and use the amp distortion. Which stays on the whole time.
Quote by mooplet
Yeah, as I said I really don't know much about gibson, nor do I have any experience with them.
That was my first time playing a Gibson.
I played it through a nice marshal amp with distortion at the center. Don't remember which model.
It sounded fine, had enough 'chun' as some like to call it.
Palm mutes and pinches sounded great. It sounded clean. Played my bands songs and it sounded good.
But of course I had my doubts since this was my first time playing one and it was only for a moment, which is why I brought it up in the thread.

But yeah, I guess you could say I use alot of distortion.
I have a mesa triple rec and use the amp distortion. Which stays on the whole time.

If you play with heavy distortion through a Mesa and want a 7 string then I have to recommend the Schecter Jeff Loomis 7 model.It's made of hard ash so it has weight and sustain similar to an LP and the neck has some meat to it as well.It's also a 7 string with a 26.5" scale,so it can handle low tunings and heavy playing just fine.As a final note it uses active EMG pups,which are great if you play with distortion through a naturally high gain tube amp like a triple rec.Also,neck thru with 24 frets and an original FR.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

I actually kinda wanted to get the Jeff Loomis over the Hellraiser and BJ ATX.
I hear great things about it.
But I hate the way it looks, and sadly, that's a peeve of mine.
Aha, my guitar has to look good, or I won't get it.
I wish they had it in other colors.
Quote by mooplet
I actually kinda wanted to get the Jeff Loomis over the Hellraiser and BJ ATX.
I hear great things about it.
But I hate the way it looks, and sadly, that's a peeve of mine.
Aha, my guitar has to look good, or I won't get it.
I wish they had it in other colors.

Ahh I see.Well I have a different philosophy about that,to me,playability and features > looks haha.Since you have Gibson LP money,you could get a really nice 7 string.Maybe custom order it from a company like Carvin or go for a Ibanez Prestige 7 or J Custom 7 string model.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

you don't even have to match his lowest string. match his highest 6 and then just harmonize his lines.

see if that works before you make a decision to buy a new guitar.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Ahhh lets see, well my only advice on seven strings? I don't like seven strings. I hate the wideness of the neck. So yeah, not the guitar for me, but it's true you won't be able to hit notes as low as your other guitarist. But also remember because 7 strings aren't as big as 6 strings there are far less parts and such, so if you want to change the pickups you don't have tons and tons and tons of options.

Now! To the gibsons! I have a mere studio from 07', now alot of people will tell you how gibsons are meant for rock and classic rock and all that crap, well I play through a mesa dual recto, and I've played the thing in drop D and C The pickups are a tad thin to put out alot of distortion in drop C, but the thing sounds pretty sweet in drop D, I can get some good Tool-esque sounds out of it and I play some pretty heavy stuff in standard. If Im correct the specific gibson you were trying out has open pickups (not burstbuckers?) If so I'm pretty sure they are the Ceramic high output pickups, which are pretty damn hot. My sisters BF bought a LP Classic with the ceramics and it can get pretty BROOTALS. So all in all les pauls CAN be used for metal, my other recommendation is try out a x-plorer or V, VERY Bite-y, hot pickups that can scream in drop C
Gear-
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland Micro Cube
Les Paul Studio
Ibanez Rg440 Roadster II Series
Gibson Flying V
SE Custom Paul Allender edition
Frankenstrat Replica (that I made)
Guild Madeira Nylon acoustic.
Fender P Bass
Ampeg 1x14
Quote by Pac_man0123
Get a used RG7620. You could get one for $350-$500 and then you can have money left to upgrade pickups and stuff.

This, I love mine.
my generic "should i get a 7 string guitar answer" :

Get a 7 string if you feel you'll use the extra range.

Buy thicker strings if you just want to down tune.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Think of it this way,

You're spending LP money on a guitar (no small sum) are you going to outgrow deathcore before you stop playing guitar? An LP with new pickups could get brootal and if you already love the feel, go for it. You can always change the pups later
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Quote by JWD32792
Think of it this way,

You're spending LP money on a guitar (no small sum) are you going to outgrow deathcore before you stop playing guitar? An LP with new pickups could get brootal and if you already love the feel, go for it. You can always change the pups later

think of it this way, there's nothing you can do with a 6 string that you can't with a 7.

I hate the fact that people assume 7 string = only downtuned metal.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
You can take the tuning down to whatever you want really, as long as the right adjustments are made. If you other guitarist want to play a 7, let him, its always possible to set up a les paul for the same tuning.

There are baritone les paul models kicking about, which could be worth looking into, should your band want to play around B stanard tuning, just to give that little extra tension.

Playing both a 6 and a 7 in the same band isnt unheard of, strapping young lad do it all the time. The issues you may come across will be the lack of upper range for solo and such.
All the seven string ignorance in this thread makes me a .

Quote by Lemoninfluence
I hate the fact that people assume 7 string = only downtuned metal.

+1. All the best stuff I've seen done on seven strings and other ERG usually isn't very metal, Animals as Leaders for instance.

I would recommend going seven string simply because of the options that becomes available to you and the hassles that go away.
Go for it.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
If i am correct, i think In This Moment the guy with the dreds plays a 7 string and the other guy plays a 6 string. you can check them out and see how they do things.
Gear:
ESP LTD EC 1000 Black
Squier Satin Strat H-S-S
ENGL Fireball 60w Head
Orange 1x12 Cab with Vintage 30's.
Monster Cables
Dunlop Ultex Jazz 3s XL
Ernie Ball 54-11

I wasnt saying that 7 string only equalled downtuned metal, theyre very versatile guitars, i was more talking about the style of the guitar. if you're investing LP money in a guitar than you should get something that youll be happy with almost every aspect of for a long time, which he may be, i just wanted to remind him, thats all, i personally like 7 strings
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab