hey, im trying to learn the song classical thump by victor wooten, as bass players im sure you have heard of it, but there is one part i can never get down. I dont understand how he plays the part where he "sweeps" with his thumb (if you dont know what im talking about, its at 2:13 in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FvXUVHECwM). does anybody know how to do this, any tips, ideas, anything??
i used to play with this kid who would play that song all the time, and he played it perty well, but i have no idea how he does that stuff. if no one else posts anything for you i will call him and see whats up.
All I can say is practice alt/sweep picking with your thumb.

I'm sure you've watched some of his other vids, so you probably already know that his thumb is god. He's clearly put a lot of time and effort into the technique, not to mention that he probably developed it because it feels natural to him. Don't be discouraged if you can't do it right away, the man probably spent many years developing both that song and his technique.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
alright thanks for the advice, i understand these things done come overnight, but im just wondering where to start, because im compleatly lost. like how do you sweep pick with your thump, let alone i dont even know how to sweep pic (i stayed bass only). like whenever i try to hit those notes, they all sound... weak, and all are ringing throughout, and dosent sound good.
Look on the main UG site, there are a few sweep lessons for guitar, and the principle is the same for bass. It sounds weak because you haven't developed your hands for it yet, just keep working.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play