Page 1 of 2
in a couple weeks i will have my tax refund and my wonderful parents are also going to help me out, so i will finally be replacing my horribly unreliable hunk of junk steaming pile of poo poo that you know as a fender hot rod deluxe.

i play blues/rock, jazz, country, RnB, and am in a touring band that plays original music, its a christian band but musically its just plain old Rock n Roll. I play very much in that SRV/Hendrix vibe, but also do alot of straight ahead jazz work.

I absolutly need that big, glorious american clean sound, and i need a great spring reverb. around 50 watts is nice, nothing to big or small. channel swithing is nice, as long as it sounds great. budget is $1500 at the very most, i will most likely be buying used.

here are the things im looking at, any insight or suggestions are greatly appreciated:

Mesa Heartbreaker 212.
the best amp i have ever heard in my life. its like of foot controllabilty makes it difficult to use live.

Mesa Lonestar
A bit pricey, even used. have seen it a few times in my budget. I here its circuit is similar to the mark I/heartbreaker one, but i have never personally played the amp.

Mesa Mark I reissue.
Love the amp, have only came across one in my life though.

Fender Super Reverb.
I will not by a modern one, would probably blackface a late 70s one. its reliabilty would worry me, plus i would need some type of OD pedal.

any other suggestion?
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Marshall 1962 bluesbreaker reissue? Althouhg not neccesarily an "american" sound, that style of amp powered a lot of that rock and roll from Hendrix onward. The Super reverb is supposed to be nice as well, but I tend to think it is diffciult to get a good full tone from a fender guitar through a Fender amp, not many guitarists that I have seen live actually pull a good sound from that combo.
i already have an old bassman thats getting "marshalled", so i dont really need to do the old marshall sound, its covered. thanks alot though.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
i already have an old bassman thats getting blackfaced, so i dont really need to do the old marshall sound, its covered. thanks alot though.

No probs. Have you thouhgt about Mesa Boogies and Laneys? Although not "tradional" amps, they are still very good, Sanatana used the mesa boogies a while,. and I am not sure about the laneys, but having played through one I can say they ahve a good clean sound, anmd with a decent pedal over dirve i think they could do the job for you.
haha, yeah man. 3 of the 4 amps i listed are mesa boogie amps. i have never had the pleasure of playing a laney though, i beleive they are british voiced.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
^well i'd hope they were british voiced, I have never seen a Laney before in my life here in america.

Go for the Lonestar if one comes along at a nice price. I've played one in GC many times and they are great.
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
i would actually love to get the OD special, however i will never buy an amp that i cant try first. and i have never try any dumble style amp.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
I know I've said it a million times.......but........

Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe!
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
I'd say grab a Lonestar. My friend's dad owns one and I freaking love it. It was one of the reasons I bought my Mesa. Granted mine has a lot more gain on tap, the clean channel of the F-50 is great as well. Also about $4-500 cheaper than the Lonestar. Check out the F series if you can. But my opinion is completely biased
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
anything i should look into that i havent mentioned?
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Mrak V

Also: Have you played a Mesa Blue Angel?

Also: Have you played any ampegs?

???

Also: If you can, try out a Gibson G40RVT.
fender vibroverb. yummy american clean tone and pushed 6l6 signature od

was the deluxe really so bad. ive never tied one but ive always heard they were real nice. the reissue classic amps are pretty damn good.
I'm confused. The HRD would fit you perfectly yet you seem to hate it.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Quote by necrosis1193

yep, i love mine, unbeatable cleans. the overdrive is crap though.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by _Sanitarium_
Have a look at the Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace

British style.

Maybe a Bad Cat Classic Cat???

EDIT: I mean Bad Cat Panther
Last edited by imgooley at Feb 2, 2009,
Quote by necrosis1193

its not a terrible sounding amp, most of the time. mine is unreliable, and its time in my carreer to get a more professional level amp. HRD is really just an entry level gigging amp. nothing more, nothing less.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
The lonestar is an amazing amp, brilliant overdrive. Didn't fiddle with the cleans much, they're a bit darker than say the HRD. Overall a great amp with tone for days.

Super Reverb would be nice, but like you said, reliability is an issue.

The mesa F series like laidback mentioned have terrific cleans, unfortunately the gain on tap is pretty overwhelming and anything less than say heavier classic rock is pretty hard to dial in and sounds sort of squashed.

If the heartbreaker is the best amp you've ever tried then I'd get it. Throw a volume pedal in front to clean it up for your cleans and your set.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by chea_man

i play blues/rock, jazz, country, RnB, and am in a touring band that plays original music, its a christian band but musically its just plain old Rock n Roll. I play very much in that SRV/Hendrix vibe, but also do alot of straight ahead jazz work.

I absolutly need that big, glorious american clean sound, and i need a great spring reverb. around 50 watts is nice, nothing to big or small. channel swithing is nice, as long as it sounds great.

any other suggestion?

This part of your post had me thinking Reverberocket all the way.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Lonestar and may the Schwartz be with you!

Yeah I've been impressed by the Lonestars... Seem quite versatile and good.
Last edited by TubeAmpGuy at Feb 2, 2009,
Quote by gregs1020

That's the other amp I meant to mention.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by gregs1020

FTMFW.

Or a Super Jet.
Don't be hatin', it's a good buddy D:

How about a Fender Supersonic? Or a Twin Reverb? Those two are much nicer Fenders that I've had some experience with.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
the blue angel would not have the headroom i need. and the reverb rocket it tried didnt wow me.

i dont like the fender "reissues" at all. and the supersonic is a great amp, but not for me.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Well I don't either. But I got to use a 70s Twin Reverb for church performances about a month last year and it was beeyoootiful. I see a lot of them on Craigslist.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

V-Picks!
Quote by chea_man
its not a terrible sounding amp, most of the time. mine is unreliable, and its time in my carreer to get a more professional level amp. HRD is really just an entry level gigging amp. nothing more, nothing less.

Entry level? I'm sorry, but that's hilarious. I saw a few lying on a 75-degree angle in the background when Springsteen played the superbowl. If a venue like that is entry-level to you, then wow.

To be on-topic though, I'd get a Vox AC30 personally, but I love their tone, so I may be somewhat bias there.

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Feb 2, 2009,
Quote by necrosis1193
Entry level? I'm sorry, but that's hilarious. I saw a few lying on a 75-degree angle in the background when Springsteen played the superbowl. If a venue like that is entry-level to you, then wow.

they were probably back up amps.
and i said they were entry level gigging amps, as in some of the cheapest amps that can/should be used professionaly.

edit/ and yeah voxes are great, but they dont get the american clean sound i want. nor do they have the headroom i need.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Last edited by chea_man at Feb 2, 2009,
Oh. Fair enough then.

it is a god tier gigging amp when you match it up with the extension cab under it, because let's face it, if you don't have a stack you're a pussy
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

V-Picks!
Quote by Exo M7
Well I don't either. But I got to use a 70s Twin Reverb for church performances about a month last year and it was beeyoootiful. I see a lot of them on Craigslist.

i have a SF bassman. vintage amps sound great, but arent at all reliable when it comes to touring.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by necrosis1193

To be on-topic though, I'd get a Vox AC30 personally, but I love their tone, so I may be somewhat bias there.

Crate pays ZZ Top to have their amps sitting on their backline. Billy Gibbons doesn't use Crates at all.

The point is, just because the amps are sitting there, doesn't mean that they're being played.

I'm sorry, but you're post is hilarious.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2

If you're looking for a super clean amp, I would got with the Fender Super Six Reverb. Man, I would love to have one of those.
BTW Chea, have you written off a Ceriatone Overtone?
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2

Quote by chea_man
i have a SF bassman. vintage amps sound great, but arent at all reliable when it comes to touring.

I guess that's true enough. But that twin got kicked over by a bassist twice on cement, and was fine and playable after being in and out of a frigid storage room for a month. I figure if it's lasted this long already, it must be pretty durable. I think it still had the original tubes. :\

God I miss that amp

Anyway, I'm no help. I understand that's obviously not exactly the same sort of thing you were talking about. Personally, I would go for one of the Mesas in your first post.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

V-Picks!
Last edited by Exo M7 at Feb 2, 2009,
You could try to find a used Dr. Z EZG-50, although I think they're relatively new and would be hard to find used. I loved the Lonestar when I tried it. The OD was very smooth and the cleans were awesome. Dumble style amps are kind of a hit and miss, some are great, some suck. I've only tried the Fuchs and the Two Rock and I liked them both, but I have heard demos of others and some sound just terrible. The Ceriatones are supposed to be great though, but I've only seen videos of it.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by LP51122
BTW Chea, have you written off a Ceriatone Overtone?

i would love one, but i dont buy anything that i cant try first. and ive never even played a d style amp before. just have heard recordings.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by necrosis1193

I honestly doubt they were HRD's. They were probably mod'd Allens or another "looks like a HRD" amp. It's a common look that started long ago, late 50's. There are plenty of kits that use that cab, but the guts are made to order.

C'mon, I mean do you really think Bruce would play a $500 amp on what is now the most important single 3 song concert of his life?

real edit: Wow I took a long time to put that thought into the computer! ::type
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Feb 2, 2009,
Quote by mmolteratx
You could try to find a used Dr. Z EZG-50, although I think they're relatively new and would be hard to find used. I loved the Lonestar when I tried it. The OD was very smooth and the cleans were awesome. Dumble style amps are kind of a hit and miss, some are great, some suck. I've only tried the Fuchs and the Two Rock and I liked them both, but I have heard demos of others and some sound just terrible. The Ceriatones are supposed to be great though, but I've only seen videos of it.

im really interested in the EZG 50, but no one has DR Zs near me. im dying to play some Dr z.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by LP51122
Crate pays ZZ Top to have their amps sitting on their backline. Billy Gibbons doesn't use Crates at all.

The point is, just because the amps are sitting there, doesn't mean that they're being played.

I'm sorry, but you're post is hilarious.

Yes, I'm hilarious for trying to defend a good amp. Frankly they're all just for show at the Superbowl as, except for vocals, it's all pre-recorded, but all I'm saying is that they were there, and Springsteen isn't on Fender's endorsement list. Kind of ironic too as he's one of the bigger tele players...

Quote by gregs1020
I honestly doubt they were HRD's. They were probably mod'd Allens or another "looks like a HRD" amp. It's a common look that started long ago, late 50's. There are plenty of kits that use that cab, but the guts are made to order.

C'mon, I mean do you really think Bruce would play a $500 amp on what is now the most important single 3 song concert of his life?

Touche.

Page 1 of 2