Dimarzio in the bridge, and a Jazz in the neck position, wuddayathink>?

If you haven't noticed, I have been looking for ways to warm up my tone.

edit: must be versatile, and able to do a ... gritty... kind of tone for metal-core
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
That setup should work very well for mid-gain stuff, and will probably be ok for metal (as long as you have a high gain amp, which you do)

I'd personally just go with a JB/Jazz combo, which I have in my Jackson, and it works well for basically every style (but excels at mid gain).

Most of the DiMarzio's I've tried are just too bright and articulate for my taste, although I kind of want to give a Tone Zone/Air Norton combo a try in the Jackson.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
from what i hear, the Breed is sopposed to darken up nicely.
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Hmm. I actually haven't tried the bridge model to be honest, but I've given the neck model, a PAF Pro, and an X2N all a try, and I found them all to be pretty bright (Although I did like the PAF Pro).

And about darkening up tone, that's why I want to try a Tone Zone in my Jackson. The JB is good, but I want a little bit more output and warmth.
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

bump?
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Try a Breed neck position on the bridge, it sounds pretty nice and articulate, not really warm but not overly bright.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by FlightofIcarus
That setup should work very well for mid-gain stuff, and will probably be ok for metal (as long as you have a high gain amp, which you do)

I'd personally just go with a JB/Jazz combo, which I have in my Jackson, and it works well for basically every style (but excels at mid gain).

Most of the DiMarzio's I've tried are just too bright and articulate for my taste, although I kind of want to give a Tone Zone/Air Norton combo a try in the Jackson.

The Breed can do more than just mid gain.

And the JB/Jazz combo is overrated.

As far as neck pickups go, I'm not a big fan of the Jazz. It doesn't handle OD that well, like in the case of solos. It sounds fine, but it doesn't really have that oomph I'm looking for.

bjovi400, why don't you tell us what you find lacking about your tone?
The Breed bridge sounds exactly what you are wanting, except for the Metalcore part. The Breed isn't as tight as I would like it to be for Metalcore (As I Lay Dying, KsE, LoG, etc) but it's perfect for getting dark/warm rock tones (Smashing Pumpkins, Coheed, Silverchair) and it does the metal I play mainly really well (Metallica, Megadeth, BFMV)

On the JB debate, in my experience I've always found the JB to be quite a bright pickup
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Quote by forsaknazrael

As far as neck pickups go, I'm not a big fan of the Jazz. It doesn't handle OD that well, like in the case of solos. It sounds fine, but it doesn't really have that oomph I'm looking for.

Agree with everything, especially the JB being overrated. The JB is extremely bright and wouldn't do what you want.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by forsaknazrael

Sure, it can do more than mid-gain. I'm just stating what I find the neck model to be best at in my opinion, not all it can do.

I am going to have to agree with you on the Jazz though. I don't like it's overdrive tone at all.
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

Quote by forsaknazrael

my XXX has a brighter metal voicing, as opposed to 6505. I am satisfied with my amp, and love it, i just am looking to darken up my overall tone. I am getting new tubes, so thats not a problem.

If the Jazz in the neck isn't so great for overdriven tones, would the '59 be a tad better?

I was NEVER a DiMarzio fan, and always preferred SD (not Duncan Designed), but i'm not quite sure they make a darker voiced versatile pup for me & I don't want actives. So i'm thinking that maybe DiMarzio is the way to go (for bridge)

And if really doesn't matter if the pup is tight for metal; my XXX has the 3 setting dampening switch that does a fine job at going from loose to tight
Ibanez AEL 12-string

^Some JJ 12AX7's will help darken your tone

The thing is that Alnico 5 pickups like the '59, the Breed, and the Custom 5 and the JB will always have a brighter feel to them because of the Alnico 5. however, it's this brightness that contributes to the crunch that we all like. (The Breed is really fat and warm, though.). Something like Alnico II will sound thicker, but won't have that same crunch.

And, I don't know, even though you say you don't like Dimarzios, I'd say that a really big blanket statement. Both Duncan and Dimarzio make several different models, and different tonal characters. There's no way you can make a general statement about the brand as a whole.

Anyway, to get back on topic...
The Breed is a warm pickup, I think it'll do what you want. I think a pair of them would be just fine.
And they handle metal great, I think. here's some clips:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7157498&postcount=201
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Feb 3, 2009,
It's not that they don't make good pickups, i think its just that i'm not a fan of their pole configurations, and most of their pickups tonal characteristics. Like the Evo's, i hate that they are to trebly, and pick up literally every damn slight mistake. and all of the heavy pups of theirs, for the most part have different poles, or have one coil + a blade. I always was into more of a natural, barely noticable change, but at the same time completely hot rodded.

I always liked the plain looks of most of SD's pups, but i can't seem to find any warm voiced pups/

idk, i'm confusing, i know. But yeah i'm planning on throwing a few JJ ECC83's in, aswell as fixing up my Syn standard so it fits ME more, so i't a bit less of a mass produced signature axe.

edit: so how about the SD '59 in the neck?
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Last edited by bjovi400 at Feb 3, 2009,
^The '59 is good, handles OD well. Some people say it can get too compressed if you drive your signal hard, but I think it sounds fine.

I'm still for Breeds, though. They're good, warm pickups. I hear you about the pole pieces, though.

Let me toss out some options that aren't Seymour Duncan.
Try looking at rockmonkeyguitars.com. I just ordered a set of Silverbacks...Should be versatile enough for what you need, with a warm tonal character to them, but still have a nice bite two them.
Unless you're in a hurry, they should be here in a week or two.
Oh, and CorduroyEW gives a 10% discount to UGers.
the thing is, i'm only looking to spend about $150 on both pups, and i figure, with GC's almost once a month random sales, i could knock a few bucks off that way. I have however heard of rockmonkey pups, but i'll look into them more.

As of right now, i think i'm going to go for a Breed in the Bridge, and '59 in the neck. This could change, though.

One more question, they don't make the Breed with a nickel cover already installed, so do you think i could buy an F-Spaced nickel cover and throw that on there myself?

edit: to add to the 'individual feel' i'm going for, i'm planning on covering the bridge pup with nickel so i wears away quicker *it'll look like it's fit with MY guitar[beat up & worn]*, and leaving the neck pup open

edit2: AND on top of the $$ for pups, i have to get a new switch
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Last edited by bjovi400 at Feb 3, 2009,
Quote by bjovi400
the thing is, i'm only looking to spend about $150 on both pups, and i figure, with GC's almost once a month random sales, i could knock a few bucks off that way. I have however heard of rockmonkey pups, but i'll look into them more.

As of right now, i think i'm going to go for a Breed in the Bridge, and '59 in the neck. This could change, though.

One more question, they don't make the Breed with a nickel cover already installed, so do you think i could buy an F-Spaced nickel cover and throw that on there myself?

edit: to add to the 'individual feel' i'm going for, i'm planning on covering the bridge pup with nickel so i wears away quicker *it'll look like it's fit with MY guitar[beat up & worn]*, and leaving the neck pup open

Just contact DiMarzio directly, they will sell you a pickup with a cover. Get a Switchcraft switch, they're great.

EDIT: I think SD will custom wind you a pickup or pickup set, although it would be more than just buying them as you plan now.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Last edited by mmolteratx at Feb 3, 2009,
Quote by bjovi400

Oh, okay. Just tossing RMG out there.

I don't know about what mmolterax says, but it is possible to install a cover on there yourself. You will need to solder the cover to the pickup's back plate. Then you'll need to repot the pickups.

Also don't know about F-spaced covers, either. I haven't ever looked for one.
Nevermind, they only offer it on certain pickups now. Listen to forsaknazrael.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

^Yea, I remember asking them about it awhile ago when I wanted to throw some new stuff in my SG and they told me I could get covers but now they just come on the Air Buckers and PAF. It was a cool idea but I see how it would be a pain for them. I have to deal with them here since nothing that fits me really pops up on CL. It's almost always Spiders, Rectifiers and Fender Hot Rod series amps and peoples beginner guitars along with the rare high end LP or Strat. For some reason there's always tons of Roland keyboards on there though. If I buy used I usually gotta go to a little local store and they usually have what I'm looking for albeit for a bit more than what I would like but they're friendly and know there stuff so I'm willing to spend the extra bit.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT