Just wondering what you guys think is the best distortion pedal around for quality, not regarding price or anything. I just want to invest in a distortion pedal that is top quality!
Also, is it wrong to put 2 or 3 distortion pedals in an effects loop or is it common?
Cheers
Depends on what style of music you'll be playing with it.....which is?
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
The best I've played, which I own, is an EHX Metal Muff. But it's really only good for metal.
New Setup:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Black SG w/ 3 Hum.)
Peavey Classic 50
EHX Metal Muff
Cry Baby 535Q

"I'm the one that's got to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to"
Jimi Hendrix
Quote by LP51122
Depends on what style of music you'll be playing with it.....which is?

This is important.
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
Any sort of Muff is good.

lol
seriously.
Quote by deadringer13
xjosheex, you have made a simple answer to it all haha

Quote by Pr0gNut
I hope he gets a blood disease and dies alone and screaming.

I mean that in the nicest way possible of course.
EHX Big Muff for me, but like people say, depends what you like and what kind of music you play.
I'm so adjective, I verb nouns.
Rock style, a bit like Kings of Leon but maybe a bit heavier, like their old stuff. Bands such as Biffy Clyro.
Thanks.
Probably White Stripes or The Raconteurs would be the best description of the sound I want to be getting.
Thanks.
Quote by Skierinanutshel
emphasizing how important this is.

for me, my Crunch Box is the best straight-up distortion pedal. however, i also use fuzzes for distortion. they all play different roles.

+1
jack white uses a muff.

=D
i almost said jack black.
Quote by deadringer13

Quote by Pr0gNut

Quote by jacko_17
Probably White Stripes or The Raconteurs would be the best description of the sound I want to be getting.
Thanks.

Then DEFINITELY a Big Muff Pi. Along with an MXR Microamp boost, to get his full tone [Jack]. Hopefully you have a tube amp, or you won't sound much like him though.

Also, good to see another Jack lover!

Ye, he is an awesome guitarist with some awesome tones!!
Just wondering whether running 2/3 distortion pedals and a few other modulation effects would affect the final tone in my Fender Deluxe 30 watt tube amp? And what tips have you got for me to get a high quality tone from my amp?
Thanks a lot guys!
Quote by jacko_17
Ye, he is an awesome guitarist with some awesome tones!!
Just wondering whether running 2/3 distortion pedals and a few other modulation effects would affect the final tone in my Fender Deluxe 30 watt tube amp? And what tips have you got for me to get a high quality tone from my amp?
Thanks a lot guys!

If yo want high quality tone, true bypass is one of the best. (I know some one who knew about this stuff alot better than me giving a long explanation as to why true bypass isn't the best but i don't really remember it... don't flame me!). So, if you have true bypass on your pedals it won't really take away from your tone. Does your amp have an effects loop? I run 3 dist. pedals, and it doesn't take that much away from tone. and of course I never turn them all on at the same time either.

It's a Fender Deluxe 30 Watt Tube Amp with an Epiphone dot ES335 guitar. I have a few questions about maximising tone;

1) What are the best quality patch cables out there to maximise tone quality through the amp? (I have planet wave leads for the guitar so I'm alright in that department!)

2)Do you think an Epiphone Dot ES335 has good enough pickups or would you recommend changing them to get a good quality sound?

3)Say I have, 9 or 10 pedals in my effects loop, and only one distortion pedal, is there any tips you can give to maximise tone quality when the signal weakens between pedals? e.g the order of the pedals.

4)What are the best order for guitar pedals to go in? e.g. distortion first or last??

Thanks a lot for your time!!!
Quote by SaintsofNowhere
If yo want high quality tone, true bypass is one of the best. (I know some one who knew about this stuff alot better than me giving a long explanation as to why true bypass isn't the best but i don't really remember it... don't flame me!). So, if you have true bypass on your pedals it won't really take away from your tone. Does your amp have an effects loop? I run 3 dist. pedals, and it doesn't take that much away from tone. and of course I never turn them all on at the same time either.

I think my amp does, but I'm not sure how to use it. Could you tell me how for a Fender Deluxe 30 Watt tube amp?
Thanks
Quote by jacko_17
Rock style, a bit like Kings of Leon but maybe a bit heavier, like their old stuff. Bands such as Biffy Clyro.
Thanks.

Almost any overdrive pedal or distortion pedal you want would work for that, but a Big Muff or a Boss OS-2 would work well.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by jacko_17
It's a Fender Deluxe 30 Watt Tube Amp with an Epiphone dot ES335 guitar. I have a few questions about maximising tone;

1) What are the best quality patch cables out there to maximise tone quality through the amp? (I have planet wave leads for the guitar so I'm alright in that department!)

either continue with the planet waves if you like the long cables....or look into fulltone patch cables

2)Do you think an Epiphone Dot ES335 has good enough pickups or would you recommend changing them to get a good quality sound?

most epi's i know can do with a pup change, and they sound great after. however, a pup change in an ES-335 will be a pain in the ass

3)Say I have, 9 or 10 pedals in my effects loop, and only one distortion pedal, is there any tips you can give to maximise tone quality when the signal weakens between pedals? e.g the order of the pedals.

clean boost with a buffer circuit/true bypass your pedals

4)What are the best order for guitar pedals to go in? e.g. distortion first or last??

EQ/tuner into wah into OD then Disto the fuzz into modulation.....it is all up to personal taste though....see what you like best

Thanks a lot for your time!!!

answer'd
Quote by Skierinanutshel
answer'd

Thanks a lot!!!
What clean boost pedal would you recommend and what does it do?
Cheers
Quote by jacko_17
Thanks a lot!!!
What clean boost pedal would you recommend and what does it do?
Cheers

http://www.proguitarshop.com/index.php?CategoryID=15

go nuts!

(although i would look at the MXR micro amp, catalinbread's, and the MI Audio Boost'n'Buff if you were me)

edit: and anytime! i'm always glad to help where/when i can.
I should mention that distortion pedals don't belong in the effects loop.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by stradivari310
I should mention that distortion pedals don't belong in the effects loop.

yep.
its for time based effects only.
chorus,delay,flange,phase,all that jazz.
Quote by deadringer13

Quote by Pr0gNut

Quote by SaintsofNowhere

They're good but if you have more than 3 pedals it starts to degrade your tone. Say you have 8 or 9 pedals with 6" patch cables running between them and 20' cables between guitar and pedalboard and pedalboard and amp, then you have 44-44.5' of cable. That's gonna cause some serious signal and treble loss due to capacitance. However, if you have 1 or 2 good(I emphasize good), buffered bypass pedals in the chain, usually placed near the end, it's gonna boost your signal and treble a bit to account for the capacitance, even when off. However, if you just place a good line driver in your chain, you don't need any buffered bypass pedals. Pete Cornish explains it better than I do. I think Bob Bradshaw has something on his site too.
http://www.petecornish.co.uk/case_against_true_bypass.html
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs