I have a Fender Twin Reissue right now and it is a little too loud for my house. Even though, i loved the sound of it and still got it. I would like to be able to half the power of it. Do i need to buy an expensive attenunator or can i just pull two of the tubes to half the power? I know the attenunator allows you to ADJUST the amount of reduction in power rather with pulling the tubes half power is the only option. But, thats fine. Now, what tubes do i pull? I heard you can fry the transformer by pulling the tubes, is this true?
Thanks-
inside two or outside two and no it isnt good for the transformer but people still do and I haven't had problems with doing it
Quote by Thepoison92
Go as a tampon
White shirt, white hat, white trousers (cheap ones) and cover the bottom half in fake blood, also have to write 'Tampax' on the shirt, so people know what you are and can then be disgusted.
Quote by asdaven
I have a Fender Twin Reissue right now and it is a little too loud for my house. Even though, i loved the sound of it and still got it. I would like to be able to half the power of it. Do i need to buy an expensive attenunator or can i just pull two of the tubes to half the power? I know the attenunator allows you to ADJUST the amount of reduction in power rather with pulling the tubes half power is the only option. But, thats fine. Now, what tubes do i pull? I heard you can fry the transformer by pulling the tubes, is this true?
Thanks-

Get an attenuator. Pulling a set of tubes will cut your power in half, yes. However, your ears scale volume on a log scale, so instead of cutting PERCEIVED volume by 50%, you're only cutting perceived volume by about 12% if I recall correctly...meaning, it's not going to make a difference (EDIT: a difference worthwhile given the extra stress on the remaining tubes and the OT).

Attenuator is the way to go...

Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
Last edited by DLrocket89 at Feb 1, 2009,
So, the attenator will both reduce the volume but will it also allow the amp to break up at lower volume too? Now, does the atteunator change the sound or tone of the amp other than lower the power and volume?
Thanks-
Quote by asdaven
So, the attenator will both reduce the volume but will it also allow the amp to break up at lower volume too? Now, does the atteunator change the sound or tone of the amp other than lower the power and volume?
Thanks-

you can "crank" the amp w/ less power going to the speakers, yes. however, a big part of amp tone is the speakers breaking up, and you lose that. Also, attenuators aren't perfect in what they do (you can't just say, put a big resistor on it)...generally, the tone gets thinner as you dial volume back more and more.

Do they work? Yes. Is the tone exactly the same? No. If you want to stick w/ the same amp, it's probably the best bet though...
Quote by kcdakrt

So, maybe just getting a attunator and dialing it back a little? The more you dial it back, the thinner the tone? Am i correct?
Thanks-
Quote by asdaven
So, maybe just getting a attunator and dialing it back a little? The more you dial it back, the thinner the tone? Am i correct?
Thanks-

roughly. From what I've heard, the effect really only gets bad as you get to like 95% power drop... *shrugs* it's not perfect, but it works. Keep your original packaging so you can return it if you're not satisfied w/ it...
Quote by kcdakrt

Im just looking to drop it like 50-75%. Maybe even less depending how much it affects tone. What attenunator should i get? I don't have a rack, I would just put it on top of the amp? I guess.
Quote by asdaven
How do i find out the proper impedence?
Thanks-

whatever the output on your amp is...
Quote by kcdakrt

What ohms are the speakers, are they in parallel or series right now...

Wherever they are plugged in on the back of the amp, what does it say there (4, 8, or 16 ohms?)

EDIT: assuming I'm looking at the right schematic, you have (2) 8 ohm speakers in parallel, giving you 4 ohms.

So, you'd want this: http://www.guitarcenter.com/THD-Hot-Plate-Attenuator-101243475-i1145573.gc in the 4 ohm version.

Quote by kcdakrt

Last edited by DLrocket89 at Feb 2, 2009,
If you pull tubes then you need double the speaker impedance which means getting new speakers. I think pulling tubes is by far the best sounding method of reducing volume but the reduction in volume is only going to be about 3db which isn't much.
Not taking any online orders.
does your amp have an effects loop? if so you can put a volume pedal or passive 'power soak' (as they are marketed) into the loop and thissimply cuts the pre-amp tube volume going to the Power Amp stage. essentially means your Power tubes are running at full output but the input is reduced by the pedal.
Quote by Entrant_21
does your amp have an effects loop? if so you can put a volume pedal or passive 'power soak' (as they are marketed) into the loop and thissimply cuts the pre-amp tube volume going to the Power Amp stage. essentially means your Power tubes are running at full output but the input is reduced by the pedal.

Isn't that the same as a MV?

I don't see how that drives the power stage full...
Quote by kcdakrt

I don't have an effects loop, just an input jack for the speaker. Can I still use the hot plate?
Thanks-
Quote by asdaven
I don't have an effects loop, just an input jack for the speaker. Can I still use the hot plate?
Thanks-

Yeahup.

Normal: Amp > Speaker

Hotplate: Amp > Hotplate > Speaker
Quote by kcdakrt

I guess that means i need another cable? What type of cable do i use?
Thanks-
Would you say a twin reverb sounds better on low volume like 1.5-2 or with an attenunator? Which one sounds less "sterile" and more warm? I ve also heard overdrive from a twin reverb is bad. With an attenunator, will putting putting different tubes in and biasing them make the overdrive sound better?
Quote by asdaven
Would you say a twin reverb sounds better on low volume like 1.5-2 or with an attenunator? Which one sounds less "sterile" and more warm? I ve also heard overdrive from a twin reverb is bad. With an attenunator, will putting putting different tubes in and biasing them make the overdrive sound better?

I don't know which is better (1.5-2 or attenuator). Like I said, check the return policy and keep your recipit.

OD is going to suck either way, it's just not made for it.
Quote by kcdakrt