Hey guys, I've started a band recently and I'm the vocals and lead guitar...
What I am wondering is simple,
What do I sing through?
I've heard you can use a mixer and a PA system, but i think that is a bit expensive,
I know that a guitar amp is unacceptable because the speaker will not handle vocals and will rip itself apart trying...
Ive heard of acoustic amps, but they're all so expensive...
IS THERE AN INEXPENSIVE APPROACH??!
We're a teen band, and considering its live, quality isnt a problem...
Maybe bad quality can hide my bad vocals

thanks
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Quote by Truespin
you can't use a guitar to replace your lack of charm or social skills.

Worked for Malmsteen.
What's worked for me in the past is just running a mic through a monitor. I use a Mackie SRM450, and I think it's sounds fine. However, a mixer would really come in handy if you aren't going to get a higher end monitor.
Quote by Telestar
What's worked for me in the past is just running a mic through a monitor. I use a Mackie SRM450, and I think it's sounds fine. However, a mixer would really come in handy if you aren't going to get a higher end monitor.

What kind of monitor? Also, what are the benefits of using a mixer?
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
I would assume its because mixers have preamps
I have a few speakers that could handle vocals, but i dont know how to hook them up
(they're the kind for stereos that hook up with speaker wire)
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Quote by Truespin

Worked for Malmsteen.
I just realized I made a thread about the same thing at about the same time as this guy.

Anyway, would me and my vocalist be able to use a Kustom KPC15M with a Mic-to-1/4 inch cable for band practice?

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kustom-KPC15M-15-Monitor-Speaker-Cabinet-with-Horn?sku=600819

Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
^ seems like a good option for me, maybe a cheap preamp so i can control the volume and what not
someone answer his question for me
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Quote by Truespin

Worked for Malmsteen.
Quote by Kartman
What kind of monitor? Also, what are the benefits of using a mixer?

I think Mackie's are very durable and reliable, and they are plenty loud. I'm a fan of Behringer, too, so anything from them you can trust it's good.
The benefits of using a mixer are that you can control volume and tone to make it sound that much better. Proper EQ'ing can have your cheap monitor sounding like a professional one. I don't have a mixer, but I have used them and found they are very nice to have if you need some tonal adjustments.
Quote by tmfiore

Anyway, would me and my vocalist be able to use a Kustom KPC15M with a Mic-to-1/4 inch cable for band practice?

Judging by the price and reviews, it looks like you might want to buy a mixer for it, or possibly just find a better, different one. You would definitely be able to run the mic through it, but I don't think it would sound that great. However, like I said before, a mixer could really make it worth the money if you know how to EQ properly.
hey man would I need a powered mixer? also whats some cheap options for mics? what kind of mic should I use?
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Quote by Truespin

Worked for Malmsteen.
Guys here is a monitor/speaker with volume control I found.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Galaxy-Hot-Spot-VC-with-Volume-Control-and-Stand-Adapter?sku=601481

its $140, and has volume control, but I am not sure if it is better than the Kustom.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by Josher.K
hey man would I need a powered mixer? also whats some cheap options for mics? what kind of mic should I use?

I'm not an expert in the mixer/EQ area, mainly because I don't have one. I would go to Guitar Center or check some older threads to see if they can help you out. Sorry I can't help.
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Nady-StarPower-9-Microphone?sku=277093
There's a really standard, cheap mic. I recently got this in a micstand package, and It works just fine. For gigging I would use dynamic mics like the Nady, however if you plan to record at any time I would recommend buying a condenser mic. I have a MXL 990, and it is fairly cheap, yet it works well.
k so if i go to musicstop (long&mcquade) and got a 20 dollar dynamic mic, it should be fine?
still mostly just wondering about the whole plugging into a monitor thing...
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Quote by Truespin

Worked for Malmsteen.
Quote by Josher.K
k so if i go to musicstop (long&mcquade) and got a 20 dollar dynamic mic, it should be fine?
still mostly just wondering about the whole plugging into a monitor thing...

Yeah you should be fine with that.
What questions do you have about putting a mic into a monitor?
without a preamp, wont I need to crank the monitor? seeing how the one im considering has no volume control, also wondering about the mixer, still out there whether i need a powered mixer or not.
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Quote by Truespin

Worked for Malmsteen.
Bump
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Quote by Truespin

Worked for Malmsteen.
Don't get a cheap-a$$ mic. Get a Shure SM58/57 whichever. They should be around $100, but it's worth it.

About your amplification, well, it depends.
If your band has a big ass PA where you control all of the instruments' input [guitars, bass, and bass drums], then you should invest in 2-4 monitors, depending on the venues you play at.
If you don't, then just get a vocal amp. Go to Long&McQuade and ask. Googling some info first, would come in handy too. Because you'll have better questions to ask at the store.
Hope this helps.

In my world, the color RED doesn't exist.

The system has encountered a fatal error [1809]: 'YourOpinion' var has no set value.