OK guys...im sorry i know there are a lot of posts about amps and what to buy and tubes vs SS and everything. But please, id like to not get the "omg go post on the real thread" guy...im just looking for an amp atm. So, lets get down to business, and again sorry if i am being a nuisance. I have been researching, and reading a lot of "which amp" threads lately and have narrowed down my choices. I am definitely going tube (unless i get a Randall stack...ehh) and most likely going used and get a better bang for my buck. I play a lot of metal..bands such as ASG and early metallica (kill em all) and other thrash are good examples, but i also enjoy playing alot of sabbath, maiden and zeppelin. I would prefer at least 2 channels, because i do enjoy playing clean as well. My budget is less than $400 pretty much and the choices i have narrowed down to are:

-Carvin Nomad or Bel-Air ???need more info??
-Traynor YCS-50 (if i can find one, dont know much about)
-Mesa F series
-Classic 30
-Palomino v32
-Laneys...need more info, a little pricey
-Peavey Windsor peaked my interest despite having only 1 channel
-B52 At112 (not too impressed with)

OK please help, and thank you in advance. Some more notes: preferably take pedals well, but my tone doesn't rely on pedals. But it is definitely a preference.
Mesa F series is your best bet, but you might have some trouble finding one for $400. Either the Classic, Palomino, or a Blackstar HT-5 would be good.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
If you can find an F-30 for that then go for it. If not, a Windsor will probably suit what you play very well. I just ordered one last night.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Windsors have nonexistent clean headroom.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
I think the crate or the classic 30 would be your best bet, I seriously doubt you could find an F30 for 400 bucks.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
wait, where can you find the palomino at? i've been looking for one for a while, they sound really good from what i've heard. i doubt the windsor would be too good, i played the stack and i didnt like it, i doubt the combo would be better.
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
I just got a Peavey C30 for $250 and it sounds pretty dam good. You'll want to upgrade the speaker and tubes to maximize it's potential but you could probably do that for less than $400. It does sound a lot better stock than I though it would though, so you could hold off on the upgrades. It easily rivals my buddies Fender Hotrod. The drive channel actually sounds better than the Fender, the spring Reverb ain't too bad at all, and the clean channel is excellent and takes pedals very well. It's by far the best value on your list.
really?
and ive heard mixed reviews about a windsor
so you guys are saying nay for the windsor? i am very hesitant that it is one channel...so yeah
and im a bit nervous about an f 30 because id like to play the amp before i buy and i cant find any locally...but there are a few on ebay
does anyone have an f30????? and would they strongly recommend it?
Quote by theoreticmusic
Windsors have nonexistent clean headroom.

If you put 6550's in, and a 12AU7 in the PI, I'm sure you can get some cleans.
blackstars only 5 watts :/ otherwise i am very impressed
i think from what ive heard and read f 30 or classic 30 are my best bets

and i found a palomino locally on ym craigslsit but it sold
otherwise they saturate ebay for under 400$$
Quote by TH○R
really?
and ive heard mixed reviews about a windsor
so you guys are saying nay for the windsor? i am very hesitant that it is one channel...so yeah
and im a bit nervous about an f 30 because id like to play the amp before i buy and i cant find any locally...but there are a few on ebay
does anyone have an f30????? and would they strongly recommend it?

Ironically Kevin Saale used to own one, ask him.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Also, it's worth saying, that a one channel amp isn't a bad thing for the bands/styles you listed. Page and Iommi got their cleans by using the volume knob on their amp.

If you want ASG, Zeppelin, Sabbath, Kill 'Em All tones, a Windsor+ a Proco Rat can deliver quite nicely.
Don't go Windsor, I had one. There are truly NO cleans at any volume at all. Not only that but the overdrive doesn't sound right until the volume is cranked. So basically the amp has one sound, which it does very well, but its not thrash. It is great for acdc, gnr, possibly skynyrd or some zeppelin, but literally cannot do anything else.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
The Mesa F-30 would be great and so would the Traynor YCS-50 (though it might need an overdrive of sorts for heavier metal), but the thing is, you're not gonna find either one for $400, at least IMO.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
hmm what about an f50 over an f30?? and i can stretch to like 550$-600$ max
is there major tonal differences between the f30 and the f50??
..and hmmm Traynor YCS-50
actually i wanna know...why do i see f30s for 750-900$$..but f50s for like 400-500$$??
because tone wise im almost sold on the mesa f series do you guys agree
will it be enough gain?
Quote by imgooley
Also, it's worth saying, that a one channel amp isn't a bad thing for the bands/styles you listed. Page and Iommi got their cleans by using the volume knob on their amp.

If you want ASG, Zeppelin, Sabbath, Kill 'Em All tones, a Windsor+ a Proco Rat can deliver quite nicely.

I think you meant guitar, but well said. I'm constantly wondering why people are always saying... "you can't get cleans on a single channel amp." Just roll down the volume on your guitar and use a lighter pick attack. There is a such thing to changing your playing dynamics, you don't need to beat on the strings all the time...

Seriously, how hard is it to do this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oquRsYxruKw
Last edited by al112987 at Feb 17, 2009,
yeah, windsor is good for JCM800 tones BUT Laney AOR is better imo for the 800 tones.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
ok honestly
if i see an f50 on ebay for 400$$
and the tone im aiming for is primarily ASG and metal
but also want some nice cleans (yes ive heard alot about f-series clean tones)
would you guys say go for it?
aight well no new news here
the bidding went up to over 600$$ so it went out of my range
but anyways i have decided that there are pretty much two tiers i can go:
tier 1) if i buy an amp now ...as in before summer (when i will have a much steadier flow of income) then my price range limit is pretty much set at about 500$$
or i can wait until i make some more money and buy in the tier 2) below 700$$ish range

so ive decided that if i am going to buy an amp now...ive pretty much decided on the classic 30 unless you guys have any more suggestions to throw at me???

or i can wait and buy an f 50 or a 5150 combo in a few months
unless once again you have any more suggestions?