Hi,

I have an epi g400 custom with one of those classic tremolo systems that are just for looks really. Now lately I've been experiencing really choked notes, and really poor sustain from chords and downright crappy sustain from anything above the twelfth fret (the notes are choking especially bad when they're bent). I had a couple dead notes right out of the box when I first bought it, but a Chinese guitar tech fixed them, maybe at the cost of the sustain? Any other g400 owners out there have the same problem? And what are some general causes of bad sustain, because it wasn't always this bad, but progressively got worse?

Thanks
It sounds like bad action maybe? Have you changed string gauges recently?
Gear:
Fender Standard Telecaster Electric Guitar Ash
Bugera 333XL 212
Dunlop Original Cry Baby >> Korg Pitchblack Tuner >> MXR Carbon Copy >> Boss DS-1
It's an SG. SGs are not known for massive sustain.

Could be a bad setup. Fret buzz tends to kill sustain, for example. Bad saddles and bad nuts too.
I'm not looking for massive sustain, but when a bend on the 15th fret lasts less than a second, I'm assuming something is definitely wrong. Actually I have changed the strings recently from the stock gauge (I'm not sure what those were) to light specials (.010 - .046). Can you explain to me how I would fix the action? I'm a complete n00b sorry.
Quote by Flying Couch
It's an SG. SGs are not known for massive sustain.

Could be a bad setup. Fret buzz tends to kill sustain, for example. Bad saddles and bad nuts too.

Preeeetty much.

Vai has awesome sustain, Tony Iommi doesn't.
What's weird is that it's even worse through my $200 Zoom G9.2TT, but its moderately acceptable through my $30 Zoom 505II (through the same amp).
Get it setup. And lucky bastard, that's a nice guitar.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
If its not fret buzz/high frets/too low action, check to see if your strings are hitting the pickups. I had to lower my pickup height on my SG because anything above the 12th fret was REALLY close to the pickup and it was deadening the notes
I just took a look. It seems my nut at the top of the neck (plastic) is pretty jacked. The strings seem to have dug further down into it. Would that have anything to do with sustain?
Quote by thirdykal
I just took a look. It seems my nut at the top of the neck (plastic) is pretty jacked. The strings seem to have dug further down into it. Would that have anything to do with sustain?

I'd imagine it would only effect sustain with open strings... i'm not sure though.
Yeah, my Epiphone SG has horrible sustain and I hate that. Good thing I'm planning on buying a new guitar and I'm going to spend hours on trying guitars out before I do
I've gotten a lot of LOLs in my time but I choose not to sig them to not look like a pretentious douchebag

Quote by thirdykal
Hi,

I have an epi g400 custom with one of those classic tremolo systems that are just for looks really.

That trem is very useful. Its not there for dive bombs and crap. Learn to use it.
Probably bad set up... I have just a reguar G-400 and it sings.. playing through a spider valve 212
Amp/Effects:

Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Tc-Electronic G-system
Line6 DM4

Guitars:

EBMM JP6 BFR
EBMM JP7
Taylor 314ce
Would another symptom of a bad setup, as a couple people have suggested, be when I use the tremolo the g-string (lol) goes horribly, horribly out of tune? It would confirm the source of my problem.