Page 1 of 3
Just pondering...
i'm going to be starting a Philosophy degree at Edinburgh Uni this september, and i'm looking forward to it, it'll be fun to live in the city and enjoy the student lifestyle and all that stuff, and i'm interested in philosophy. But i'm wondering how many of us have degrees, and how many of those people actually use the in their later life, and how many people start one but then drop out 'cause they're values/dreams/responsibilities have changed, or they just can't be bothered.

Please, inform away...
Check out my band Spin-Offs
Comfort and Biscuits and Pineapple Juice now on my profile.
Any feedback appreciated

Quote by uk.mace
That's brilliant!

GO HUGS THREAD!!!
well i cant say i have one, but i am at uni doing pharmaceutical science and i know its the right course for me and i plan to use my degree in later life as i would like to work in doing reserch and development for a pharmaceutical company of some sort.

i guess it depends where you wanna be when you're older and what you're motives are for when you go to uni. some people go just cos they were convinced into it, some people go as its what they want to do and some just go for the partying and to bum around

so to me it all depends how serious people are on their degree which can make the degree worth while and something which will be used in later life
wow..a philosophy degree. prepare to have a very financially and socially difficult life. but who cares right? cause you'll be able to pull references from the readings of aristotle to comfort your inevitable miserable life right?

edit: i know two people who have philosphy degrees. they are almost 30 now and one is a waitress the other works at a bookstore. winners eh.
Last edited by Wesseem at Feb 1, 2009,
Oh yes philosophy is quite the ticket, to a life of deprivation.
the funny thing is i see my future in music and outdoor education ie. coaching kayaking/skiieng etc. but i want to do the degree for the experience of Uni, and the want to learn more about Philosophy, and the change from living in the middle of nowhere, to the capitol city (of scotland) but i guess i'll just wait and see...
Any feedback appreciated

Quote by uk.mace
That's brilliant!

GO HUGS THREAD!!!
unfortunately you are one of the students us engineering students love to pick on. Photovoltaic engineering FTW! but seriously if i want a job in manufacturing which is what i want to do i will need to move to germany or something. but i can't help but feel i still have better career prospects than you. i'm sorry.
Quote by mcmeddesr
i'm going to be starting a Philosophy degree at Edinburgh Uni this september

Enjoy your useless degree.
Philosophy is a pretty useless degree. First of all, philosophy is something you can easily learn on your own. Second, there are next to no practical applications of a philosophy degree. Go for something more useful. It's a waste of money to go and get a degree in something useless and something you can learn and develop on your own.
Quote by Wesseem

edit: i know two people who have philosphy degrees. they are almost 30 now and one is a waitress the other works at a bookstore. winners eh.

Only if you judge people by how much money they make.

I don't have a degree but I'm doing a BA in Psychology and I hope to do an MA in either Clinical or Educational psychology. I definitely will make use of my degree in my work.

I know lots of people who drop out, often because they can't hack it socially/academically, not because their priorities change.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Only if you judge people by how much money they make.

I don't have a degree but I'm doing a BA in Psychology and I hope to do an MA in either Clinical or Educational psychology. I definitely will make use of my degree in my work.

I know lots of people who drop out, often because they can't hack it socially/academically, not because their priorities change.

What do you mean by hacking it socially?
it's waaaaay too late for that.
but it's not that black and white, there are so many opportunities i get through the uni.
It has an excellent kayak club for one thing, this sound silly but i really want to be an outdoor instructor so it's very important.
Also Edinburgh has a great music scene, i am happiest on stage and am suffering massive withdrawl symptoms from not currently being in a band, move to Edinburgh, meet other like minded people through the uni - hey presto, rich and famous.
Also philosophy isn't that useless, it shows that you have lots of usefull character traits, and a broad and open mind, good argument skills, the ability to learn, and work your mind very hard to think outside the box, and is a very good badge to have when seeking employment.

But this thread is meant to be about, you're experiences with uni...
Any feedback appreciated

Quote by uk.mace
That's brilliant!

GO HUGS THREAD!!!
philsophy is one of the stupidest things you can study, right next to sociology.

hell it might interest you, but basically all your learning is what a bunch of old dead guys said and thought once.

very few people can use that ability to make money.

If I were you, study something else, and research philosophy in your spare time, otherwise in 8 years you're gonna kick yourself in the ass for having wasted your time and money on that dead-end subject.
Quote by metaldud536
What do you mean by hacking it socially?

I know a couple of people who isolated themselves socially and just found it difficult to mix with anyone, got pretty depressed and left.
Some just left because they missed friends or other halves at home.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Getting a masters is a different story though. and psychology is a bit more practical than philosophy. unless you are going to get a PhD and work at a university, philisophy is a pretty dodgy degree.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I know a couple of people who isolated themselves socially and just found it difficult to mix with anyone, got pretty depressed and left.
Some just left because they missed friends or other halves at home.

O I C.
Quote by CoreysMonster
philsophy is one of the stupidest things you can study, right next to sociology.

hell it might interest you, but basically all your learning is what a bunch of old dead guys said and thought once.

very few people can use that ability to make money.

If I were you, study something else, and research philosophy in your spare time, otherwise in 8 years you're gonna kick yourself in the ass for having wasted your time and money on that dead-end subject.

That's not philosophy at all, that's History or Classics.
Don't input on something you know nothing about.
Any feedback appreciated

Quote by uk.mace
That's brilliant!

GO HUGS THREAD!!!
Quote by mcmeddesr
That's not philosophy at all, that's History or Classics.
Don't input on something you know nothing about.

well then tell me, how is philosophy taught?
philosophy is taught with questions like "in your own words, what do you think Sartre would have thought about Paris Hilton?" or something like that, so basically what you're learning is dead people's opinions and ideas.

which, yeah, is alot like history, obviously they're not the exact same thing.
Quote by SGPlayer08
Philosophy as a major isn't as bad as political science (aka, pre-unemployment). However, (chemical) engineering majors FTW.

unfortunately i hang out with a few chemical engineering students and i would have to disagree. photovoltaic engineerings are way cooler. but don't be too ashamed, industrial chemists are the worst.
i can't help but agree with all these guys... i'm not sure exactly where that philosophy degree will get you. you might be better off taking something a little more useful and minoring in philosophy? but i guess if that's what you want to do, then do it. might work out great... you might get screwed.
then again im taking engineering and us engineers love to make fun of arts kids. so obviously im a little biased on this one too
unfortunately i love philosophy as well. My main interest, though, is music. 2 1/2 more years til im off to college

Saying the Red Hot Chili Peppers have no talent is like saying Guy Fawkes didn't have an epic mustache.
pretty much every toilet in the engineering buildings has a sign above the toilet paper saying, "Bachelor of Arts...Please Take One." boy do we hate those pansy arts students.
Quote by pb&guitar
i can't help but agree with all these guys... i'm not sure exactly where that philosophy degree will get you. you might be better off taking something a little more useful and minoring in philosophy? but i guess if that's what you want to do, then do it. might work out great... you might get screwed.
then again im taking engineering and us engineers love to make fun of arts kids. so obviously im a little biased on this one too

you know, philosophy is a very interesting subject and all, but I think there's even less that you could do with it than with a degree in religion.
Quote by CoreysMonster
well then tell me, how is philosophy taught?
philosophy is taught with questions like "in your own words, what do you think Sartre would have thought about Paris Hilton?" or something like that, so basically what you're learning is dead people's opinions and ideas.

which, yeah, is alot like history, obviously they're not the exact same thing.

no still wrong
philosophy is about looking for the truths behid ideas, looking for the facts in things like morality, religion, it's all about arguments and opinions, not people, you would never be asked to give an idea as to what a philosophers opinion might be on something, you would be asked to structure an argument based on your personal opinion, So for Paris Hilton i could draw upon my own opinions of what counts as morality and measure up her lifestyle, then compare my results to thos i would get using systems devised and used by other philosophers. It's not studying dead people, it's considerring their ideas.
Any feedback appreciated

Quote by uk.mace
That's brilliant!

GO HUGS THREAD!!!
Quote by mcmeddesr
no still wrong
philosophy is about looking for the truths behid ideas, looking for the facts in things like morality, religion, it's all about arguments and opinions, not people, you would never be asked to give an idea as to what a philosophers opinion might be on something, you would be asked to structure an argument based on your personal opinion, So for Paris Hilton i could draw upon my own opinions of what counts as morality and measure up her lifestyle, then compare my results to thos i would get using systems devised and used by other philosophers. It's not studying dead people, it's considerring their ideas.

that's like what half of my philosophy class consisted of
well I can only speak from my philosophy classes in school and from a friend of mine who studies it
Quote by mcmeddesr
no still wrong

lol, contradictions

Still, you're gonna come out of uni without a decent job and a big debt.

I'll be starting my degree in Geology this September, and I can very easily come out of it with a job with a starting salary of £40k+
Quote by mcmeddesr
it's waaaaay too late for that.
but it's not that black and white, there are so many opportunities i get through the uni.
It has an excellent kayak club for one thing, this sound silly but i really want to be an outdoor instructor so it's very important.
Also Edinburgh has a great music scene, i am happiest on stage and am suffering massive withdrawl symptoms from not currently being in a band, move to Edinburgh, meet other like minded people through the uni - hey presto, rich and famous.
Also philosophy isn't that useless, it shows that you have lots of usefull character traits, and a broad and open mind, good argument skills, the ability to learn, and work your mind very hard to think outside the box, and is a very good badge to have when seeking employment.

But this thread is meant to be about, you're experiences with uni...

It's never too late. What jobs will you get with a philosophy degree related to your skill in philosophy? Other than teaching philosophy at university?

You aren't thinking practically. The social stuff in university is besides the point. You are there to learn for a career. There are no careers in philosophy besides teaching it. "Useful character traits" can be developed personally.
Quote by mcmeddesr
no still wrong

Well there are no careers in studying Paris Hilton's morality. Get real dude. Studying dead people is not bad, but that's totally besides the point. What are you going to do after university? Why even go and waste all the money if what you are going to do has nothing to do with philosophy?
ok eneugh Philosophy flaming,
i opened this to hear about other people's time at uni, not for my future homlessness to be foretold. What about all of yous?
And for the record, everything my mate's who are doing engineering have told me makes it sound like the most godawful pile of nonsense ever.

EDIT: lol, I think i'll survive joe, but thanks for caring
Any feedback appreciated

Quote by uk.mace
That's brilliant!

GO HUGS THREAD!!!
Last edited by mcmeddesr at Feb 1, 2009,
I had a religion teacher who did a philosophy degree and had to go back and do another one because he found that he couldn't get a job.

I believe his words were "To get a job in philosophy you pretty much have to kill someone else who has a job in philosophy"

-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
oh ****...
Any feedback appreciated

Quote by uk.mace
That's brilliant!

GO HUGS THREAD!!!
Quote by mcmeddesr
i opened this to hear about other people's time at uni, not for my future homlessness to be foretold. What about all of yous?
And for the record, everything my mate's who are doing engineering have told me makes it sound like the most godawful pile of nonsense ever.

I took first year philosophy and realized it was pointless. Engineering is as practical as it gets, anyways.
I go to a college where i'm required to take two semesters of philosophy. I agree, the subject can be pretty interesting, but the job aspects post-graduation will be very limited. If you're interested in that I might go with something along similar lines such as psychology or something. You'll have a better time making money that way.

Engineering ftw though
Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.

"I am Jack's complete lack of suprise"
Quote by mcmeddesr

I doubt 90% of UG are even in high school, much less uni.
Quote by mcmeddesr

well i was all for you following your dream in butt ****ing philosophy, but now I see you're just a dumbass
Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.

Quote by SomethingWild
If you're interested in that I might go with something along similar lines such as psychology or something. You'll have a better time making money that way.

Engineering ftw though

Caution here. I know people who dropped out of psychology because they didn't realise that it is a science, where you have to back up your statements with experiments and studies and evidence and stuff. There is a Mathematical element, and a bit of chemistry and biology. If you don't like science steer well clear.
Psychology is not philosophy.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
I am planning on doing Psychology aswell, and Maths, is that acceptable?...
seriously i don't want a job in philosophy, i wnat to be a musician/event manager and outdoor instructor, maybe eventually teach philosophy, but i do not see the point in going to uni to study something you are not interested in and do not enjoy. I'M NOT INTERESTED IN ENGINEERING!!!
Any feedback appreciated

Quote by uk.mace
That's brilliant!

GO HUGS THREAD!!!
Quote by mcmeddesr
I am planning on doing Psychology aswell, and Maths, is that acceptable?...
seriously i don't want a job in philosophy, i wnat to be a musician/event manager and outdoor instructor, maybe eventually teach philosophy, but i do not see the point in going to uni to study something you are not interested in and do not enjoy. I'M NOT INTERESTED IN ENGINEERING!!!

ha yeah dude college is all about studying what you're interested in, but don't call engineering a pile of nonsense when it clearly isn't.

anyway.......what you're planning on doing sounds pretty sweet, you normally have a year or so to declare a major so choose wisely
Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.

i didn't mean like that at all, but the way the posts were going you'd think engineering was the only worthwile thing out there.

I know that's exactly what i'm planning on doing.
Any feedback appreciated

Quote by uk.mace
That's brilliant!

GO HUGS THREAD!!!
I have a degree (Molecular and Cellelar Biology) . I have an interview on Tuesday for a related job (clinical genetics).

Recessions suck btw.

edit: to the TS, you're probably going to live in a tenement because that's where all noob students live in Edinburgh.

You are going to freeze.
Last edited by freedoms_stain at Feb 1, 2009,
I currently live in a big stone house in the middle of nowhere on the west coast with no central heating, i can't get any colder than this.
Did you go to Edinburgh Uni?
Any feedback appreciated

Quote by uk.mace
That's brilliant!

GO HUGS THREAD!!!
Page 1 of 3