Lets just jump right into it. I'm a bassist, so most of these are geared towards bass guitars.

1. The "nut", what different types are there, what do the sizes and widths have to do with the guitar at all?

2. Humbucker pick-ups, I know what they are kind of but what sound do they produce?

3. Semi-hallow and hallow-bodied guitars and basses, how does those sound?

4. What exactly is the preamp? Details and everything.

5. What is the best place to buy an instrument? I've heard many times that online sites are bad because they get second-hand products of the manufacturers, while the top-quality ones go to guitar shops.

6. Bass amp cabnets. The size of the speakers and how many of them, and perhaps what they're made of, how does that all add up?

7. In relation to the last question, for bass heads and cabnets what are some brands I should look into?

8. I've seen toooons of different Fender P and J basses, all basically the not different from the next, but some cost $200 while others cost $1,000, why is that?

Thanks to ANYONE who can anwser even just one question. I feel embarassed for not knowing these already.
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Washbrun XB100 (modified)
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Danelectro Corned Beef Reverb
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
1. Bone, Plastic, Graphite. The sizes are due to the width of the neck/fretboard, and the slots in them due to string gauges. They help the guitar stay in tune and keep the strings in line.

2. They can do many sounds, mainly bassier, heavier rock sounds.

3. They have a slight acoustic resonance kind of sound. Personally I don't hear much a difference.

4. I don't know exactly.

5. I've gotten my guitars from stores and online. Both experiences I haven't had a problem. It's up to you. But if you can find the exact guitar you want and it's the same price in the store, go with the store.

6. Cabinet speaker sizes can vary along with amount in the cabinet. A standard speaker size is 12" though. If Celestion makes bass speaker (I don't know), go with them.

7. Hartke gets my vote.

8. Wood types, electronics, craftsmanship, where it is assembled all comes into play for price.
1. Different materials include bone, plastic, brass, steel--different tone/personal judgement for each

EDIT oh nut, thought i read bridge. anyways, bone and plastic are most common

2. Much less hum, or noise when the guitar isn't being played. Able to reach distortion sounds much better.

3. Usually favored by jazz players. Warm and smooth, borderline acoustic

4. Boosts signal. Pickups don't generate the energy needed, pre amps provide the necessary boost.

5. I wouldn't buy an instrument online without a clear return policy. Or a deal that is absolutely spectacular. Solely because the instrument may not be that great, inferior tone, bad playability, damaged...at least with a local shop you have a chance to return it or negotiate a solution.

6. In very very simple terms, bigger speakers mean louder. Not always, but generally

7. Personal preference, but I like the ones made by Fender. I like a clean tone and rarely play metal

8. Most likely, country of origin. American made Fenders are gonna be a grand or better. Mexican Fenders will be about half that. The squier versions are just going to be a few hundred dollars or less.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

Last edited by millerdrr at Feb 1, 2009,
This helps a lot, thanks, I feel a lot better covering some more basic things, I don't think there's many other questions to add. I'll keep watching this topic though, so more input is always welcome.
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Washbrun XB100 (modified)
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Danelectro Corned Beef Reverb
Digitech Hardwire DL-8